PDA

View Full Version : New Edition of Maine Guide Available

TJ aka Teej
03-23-2004, 16:52
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/index.html

The hardy souls of the Maine A.T. Club (MATC) "celebrated" the end of winter and dawn of spring the A.T. way — as volunteers assembling the latest edition of the Appalachian Trail Guide to Maine, last updated almost eight years ago. More than 9,650 sets of the book and seven maps were put together and boxed between Thursday and Sunday. The first boxes arrived in Harpers Ferry Monday, with shipments beginning Tuesday to those who placed advance orders. Get your copy today from the Ultimate A.T Store.

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=1&compid=1

Ray "Walkin' Home" Ronan was the over-all editor of this edition.

attroll
03-23-2004, 22:46
Than you very much for all your hard work Ray "Walkin' Home" Ronan. I hope to see you at hte MATC annual meeting in April.

Jack Tarlin
03-24-2004, 09:32
The Maine Guides and maps have always been far and away the best of the various state guidebooks, and I'm sure the new edition will be the best yet.

Thanks Ray!!

TJ aka Teej
03-27-2004, 00:13
The Maine Guides and maps have always been far and away the best of the various state guidebooks, and I'm sure the new edition will be the best yet.

I've just received my copy today, wicked nice job by the MATC! Ray "Walkin Home" Ronan told me he'd cut out some of the 'how to hike' stuff, moved the A.T. info up front, improved the maps, and he was really happy with the Bill Silliker cover photo. After seeing it, I can see why he was excited about the cover - absolutely beautiful! He said all the guidebook editing info is digitalized now to make updates and tweaks a "snap" later on. I've been comparing my old 88 and 96 maps to the new ones - looks like they have all the new roads, lots of side trail has been added, all the relos are noted - nicely done! :D

Papa Bear
03-27-2004, 17:17
Got mine yesterday too. Great job.

I always liked the book (it's even better now) but IMHO the old maps sucked! That shadow projection totally obscured the contour lines! Useless. Now the maps are good contour maps (with updated features) and even has VERY FAINT shadows. Big improvement. Having the directions on the back of the maps was always a plus. Now my only complaint has been satisfied and I'm a happy hiker!

Pb :)

Sleepy the Arab
03-27-2004, 22:08
They are quite nice.

On a similar subject, I just received the brand new 2004 North Carolina/Georgia maps this past Friday. I'll be the envy of all the thru-hikers this spring!

Bonehead
03-27-2004, 23:23
How much deos it weigh?