PDA

View Full Version : lexan spork

brack
03-23-2004, 17:39
anyone know where i can get one? they have knives, forks, soup spoons, regular spoons, and everything else in the world but no stinking sporks. i usually end up melting my one that i pick up from burger king and i dont want a snow peak titanium spork. help....

2Ply
03-23-2004, 18:28
Got mine at Neels gap at Mountain Crossings. Best spoons I ever used come from Weny's. Nice and sturdy and you can't beat the price,freee

texashiker
03-23-2004, 19:55
For just a spork but not lexan
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=24544148&memberId=12500226

The Old Fhart
03-24-2004, 09:15
Brack,
It may be more trouble than it is worth but where the Lexan spoons are about $0.50 you could try to cut the fork tines in the end of a spoon and see if that works. A small saw blade, Dremel tool, or jeweler's files might do the job. Let me know if that works for you.

veteran
03-24-2004, 11:05
Try this link:

http://exploringoutdoors.com/shop/utensils.html

Jaybird
03-24-2004, 11:46
anyone know where i can get one? they have knives, forks, soup spoons, regular spoons, and everything else in the world but no stinking sporks. i usually end up melting my one that i pick up from burger king and i dont want a snow peak titanium spork. help....

whadya have against the SNOW PEAK SPORK???????????????

i bought mine for $9 @ REI...it'll last a lifetime & it's the ONLY utensil i take on the trail!

Peaks
03-24-2004, 17:52
whadya have against the SNOW PEAK SPORK???????????????

i bought mine for $9 @ REI...it'll last a lifetime & it's the ONLY utensil i take on the trail!

For me, it's the $9.00, or more now.

brack
03-24-2004, 19:45
yeah not exactly a fan of dropping ten bucks on a spork. i just want a lexan one... some company could make millions if they only knew the demand, haha...

brack

deeddawg
03-25-2004, 08:33
I'm honestly curious about this and would appreciate enlightenment.

What are the benefits of a spork over a plain spoon on the trail, given usual trail foods? What foods are easier with a spork than a spoon?

I just carry a spoon, make most of my own meals ahead of time and dehydrate them, have done the ramen/lipton/knorr/mac&cheese thing plenty, and just haven't found anything yet where it seemed a spork would work better. But with all the spork talk I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Peaks
03-25-2004, 09:27
I'm honestly curious about this and would appreciate enlightenment.

What are the benefits of a spork over a plain spoon on the trail, given usual trail foods? What foods are easier with a spork than a spoon?

I just carry a spoon, make most of my own meals ahead of time and dehydrate them, have done the ramen/lipton/knorr/mac&cheese thing plenty, and just haven't found anything yet where it seemed a spork would work better. But with all the spork talk I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

If you ask me, it's marketing. Trying to create the need for something that we don't really need.

veteran
03-25-2004, 09:28
yeah not exactly a fan of dropping ten bucks on a spork. i just want a lexan one... some company could make millions if they only knew the demand, haha...

brack

Hey brack, scroll back to post #5, might find what you are looking for.

Jaybird
03-25-2004, 11:22
If you ask me, it's marketing. Trying to create the need for something that we don't really need.

true..true Peaks....we could all use our fingers to eat our Mac n' cheese! hehehehehehehe :D

come on everybody....let's all ship Brack a quarter & he can buy his spork!

VAMTNHIKER
03-25-2004, 11:40
I bought a lexan spork at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Virginia.

www.brms.com (http://www.brms.com)

My son uses it now... I use my MSR Titanium spoon.

ScouterSteve

Peaks
03-26-2004, 09:22
true..true Peaks....we could all use our fingers to eat our Mac n' cheese! hehehehehehehe :D

come on everybody....let's all ship Brack a quarter & he can buy his spork!

Lexan is much cheaper, and I wouldn't worry about it when I loose it somewhere. And just as light, if not lighter.

cryptobrian
03-28-2004, 01:18
And just as light, if not lighter.
The Snow Peak Titanium Spork is listed as .6 oz.

I just got done weighing my gear, including my Lexan fork and spoon. Granted, I have cut the end off of each just a tad so they'd fit inside my bowl, but my wieghts are (to nearest 1/8):

Fork = .375 oz.
Spoon = .25 oz.

Jaybird
03-28-2004, 08:38
The Snow Peak Titanium Spork is listed as .6 oz.
I just got done weighing my gear, including my Lexan fork and spoon. Granted, I have cut the end off of each just a tad so they'd fit inside my bowl, but my wieghts are (to nearest 1/8):
Fork = .375 oz.
Spoon = .25 oz.

Yo CryptoB....

If you have a Titanium SPORK you could cut the ends off & it would be less than .3oz.

why take both a fork & a spoon????????????

you been reading too much Miss Manners?????????????????????????????

...this is the trail...take a spoon & be done with it no matter what make or brand! :D

happy hikin'!

cryptobrian
03-28-2004, 13:13
A few points:

1. I went back weighed unadulterated versions of both my spoon and my fork to see just how much was really shaved off. Same measurements ... so within 1/8 oz, which is the resolution of my scale. Point being that I obviously haven't taken much off ... as I mentioned, I wasn't going for weight savings, just trying to make it fit. Anyway, you won't save .3 oz by taking off a comparable amount of your titanium spork. If it's wieght savings you want, the titanium spork is simply not the answer. A simple .25oz lexan spoon is the ticket. Want it even lighter, drill some holes in the handle.

2. Why take both a fork and a spoon? Because I want to. It's that simple. I enjoy wrapping my noodles around a fork and I enjoy sipping my soup with a spoon. That's what's it about right ... enjoyment? Going back to my weights again, why not? How much of a burden will it be for me to bear an extra .375 oz? Heck, if I carry both (which I don't always do, by the way) I'm still carrying less than the holy grail of backpacker geekdom (the titanium spork)! So if I enjoy the pleasures of using a spoon and a fork for each of their respective benefits and they have a totally isignificant effect on any amount of displeasure I experience(from excessive weight), then why would I not?

I do agree with the notion of just taking a spoon of whatever make or brand and being done with it though. That's along the lines of the point I am trying to make. These weights are so small that it just doesn't really matter. If you like taking a long a hipster-hiker titanium spork then do it. If you want a lexan spoon then do it. And if you want to take both a spoon and a fork ... do that too because in the final analysis it wan't matter squat.

brack
03-28-2004, 14:55
i just want a lexan spork. why is it so difficult? no 10 buck titanium spork. no spoon. no fork. no philosophiclalalllll debate ounces and drilling holes in this and that. haha. i just want a lexan spork. why because i lose stuff everywhere i go. if i take a spoon and a fork i usually will not make it back with both. i just want one thing... and that one things a lexan spork....

brack

Happy
03-28-2004, 15:24
Send me your address and I will mail you one!

Jaybird
03-28-2004, 15:54
i just want a lexan spork. why is it so difficult? no 10 buck titanium spork. no spoon. no fork. no philosophiclalalllll debate ounces and drilling holes in this and that. haha. i just want a lexan spork. why because i lose stuff everywhere i go. if i take a spoon and a fork i usually will not make it back with both. i just want one thing... and that one things a lexan spork....brack

Brack:

see what u started! hehehehehe :D
Lexan Spork (0.3 oz)

taken from www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com)

Yeah, we know, a spoon is lighter (0.2 oz), and the full-handled spork is a whopping 0.4 oz, but some creative trimming and sanding preserved the ergonomics while allowing us to bring this cook kit to 5.0 oz on the nose. The spork is much more functional - we can stab noodles, debone a trout, etc. Plus, it's really fun just to say "spork" over and over. Do it. Spork. Do it again. Spork. Spork.

buy the damn thing! STOP this madness!