PDA

View Full Version : Rutland Vermont

attroll
10-17-2008, 12:17
I have a question about Rutland Vermont. I am just looking ahead for my 2010 thru hike and was curious. This question is directed at past thru hikers.

I am curious as to those of you that went into Rutland Vermont in what direction did you go into Rutland from?

Did you go into Rutland south on the AT from VT Rte 103 or did you come in Rutland north of the AT on Rte 4?

Could you please explain why you picked the direction you picked to head into Rutland?

Serial 07
10-17-2008, 13:02
consult a map on this one, but i took the OLD A.T., aka retro-blaze and walked right up to the door step of the Long Trail Inn...there was actually a shelter along the way as well...it's just after killington, from what i remember...but i loved it and it was a lot easier to get into town that way than going to the road...

ps. that's long way from now...i'm just curious why you are thinking about, of all places, rutland...

Lone Wolf
10-17-2008, 13:04
Rt. 4 cuz there's daily bus service to and from rutland and it stops in front of The Inn at The Long Trail which most hikers stay at.

attroll
10-17-2008, 13:10
The only reason it came to my mind was because I went through Rutland in my car last week and was curious to which was the best access in and out of Rutland that thru hikers used. From what I gathered while I was there was that trail head at the Inn at The Long trail would be the best access because there is a bus that runs by there you can get a ride on. Just because I assumed that did not necessarily means it was true. I was trying to see which access the one most used. Just curiosity was all it was.

Marta
10-17-2008, 13:15
I hitched back and forth from in front of the Long Trail Inn.

I did, BTW, hike the whiteblazed trail to the highway crossing. A very irritating relo.

Blissful
10-17-2008, 13:18
Rt 4. Bus makes it easy.
Also recommend Mendon Mtn lodge (http://www.mendonmountainview.com/index.html)which is only a half mile down Rt 4 from the AT crossing. They like hikers and were great to us. Do your laundry for nominal fee. $3.00 AYCE breakfast. Internet. And you can take the bus from there to Rutland or back to the trail (the bus driver didn't charge us to go back to the trail).

A-Train
10-17-2008, 13:43
I would go in thru Rt 4, much more traffic. IMO, a stop here really isn't necessary, though it does give one more options.

A thru-hiker could easily carry food out of Manchester Center, headed for Hanover, and supplement with snacks and a deli sandwich from the store at Rt 103. This is what I did.

attroll
10-17-2008, 13:44
Rt 4. Bus makes it easy.
Also recommend Mendon Mtn lodge (http://www.mendonmountainview.com/index.html)which is only a half mile down Rt 4 from the AT crossing. They like hikers and were great to us. Do your laundry for nominal fee. $3.00 AYCE breakfast. Internet. And you can take the bus from there to Rutland or back to the trail (the bus driver didn't charge us to go back to the trail).
Thank you Blissful. I did stop into the Mendon Mtn lodge (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.mendonmountainview.com) when I was doing updates for Appalachian Pages (http://www.appalachianpages.com) and talked to them. They are very hiker friendly. They are raising there prices from last year but then who isn't.

RITBlake
10-17-2008, 14:19
I hitched back and forth from in front of the Long Trail Inn.

I did, BTW, hike the whiteblazed trail to the highway crossing. A very irritating relo.

Strange choice of relocation. Happily blue blazed this one!

Lone Wolf
10-17-2008, 14:32
Strange choice of relocation. Happily blue blazed this one!

yeah it's a no-brainer to take the old better trail to the Inn

Cookerhiker
10-17-2008, 14:51
....I did, BTW, hike the whiteblazed trail to the highway crossing. A very irritating relo.

Agree, which is why I hiked the original AT/LT now a blue-blaze on my LT hike last year (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204987).

smaaax
10-17-2008, 16:04
I took the more northern one. My reason was thats how my food worked out, it was busier, and they had the bus service to get me back out to the trial.

RITBlake
10-17-2008, 16:45
yeah it's a no-brainer to take the old better trail to the Inn

how far from the INN does the new AT road crossing spit you out?

max patch
10-17-2008, 16:57
Manchester Center to Hanover is less than 100 miles. No need to stop at Rutland at all.

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2008, 17:19
There's no "need" to go into Rutland, true, but Rutland is turning into a great Trail town; is nowhere near as expensive as Manchester Center; it has lots more dining, shopping, and lodging options; and, as others have said, it's really easy to get in and out of Rutland. Why carry five or six days worth of food out of Manchester Center when there's no need to do so?

For that matter, there's no need to go into Bennington, either, but it's also a fun place to visit.

Frosty
10-17-2008, 17:48
Manchester Center to Hanover is less than 100 miles. No need to stop at Rutland at all.That's one way of looking at it, but not the only way. Consider: Rte 2 to Rutland is only 100 miles. No need to stop in Manchester Center at all :D

It all depends on where you would prefer to go. I never cared for Manchester Ctr myself, except for Mrs Murphy's Donuts.

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2008, 17:52
Manchester also has the Northshire Bookstore, without question the best shop of its kind anywhere near the A.T.

Kirby
10-17-2008, 18:36
If you want to go short stints between resupply, then go Manchester to Rutland.

I personally did not stop there, had NH on my mind.

Kirby

Cookerhiker
10-17-2008, 18:43
...For that matter, there's no need to go into Bennington, either, but it's also a fun place to visit.

And you can eat and/or enjoy a microbrew at the Madison Brewing Co. Brew Pub Restaurant right on Rt. 9 (Main St. in Bennington).

minnesotasmith
10-17-2008, 19:02
Manchester Center to Hanover is less than 100 miles. No need to stop at Rutland at all.

The only WFS hostel in the state (including decent food), not a bad hitch to/from the Trail, practically across the street from a Super Wal-Mart that has a Chinese buffet in the same shopping center, with an outfitter ON THE PREMISES, and you suggest skipping it?!?

Nah. Skip every other resupply stop in this (not short) state, but don't miss Rutland.

garlic08
10-17-2008, 19:03
Didn't go to Rutland, but walked less than a mile off trail to the little town of Killington for a few groceries and lunch at the deli/C-store there. It was one of the better delis in the area, I thought, and an easy resupply without hitching. Plenty of good VT cheese and bread to tide me over to Hanover. I had NH on my mind too, Kirby.

Yahtzee
10-17-2008, 19:12
Didn't go to Rutland, but walked less than a mile off trail to the little town of Killington for a few groceries and lunch at the deli/C-store there. It was one of the better delis in the area, I thought, and an easy resupply without hitching. Plenty of good VT cheese and bread to tide me over to Hanover. I had NH on my mind too, Kirby.

Now you're talking. That deli has all a hiker needs to get to Hanover. Large selection of groceries for a small store. My MO has always been to head down the old trail to Inn, get the food and drink on, get a room at the Inn or sleep across the street, wake up, head to the deli and out of town.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2008, 19:54

1 mile

A-Train
10-18-2008, 17:27
There's no "need" to go into Rutland, true, but Rutland is turning into a great Trail town; is nowhere near as expensive as Manchester Center; it has lots more dining, shopping, and lodging options; and, as others have said, it's really easy to get in and out of Rutland. Why carry five or six days worth of food out of Manchester Center when there's no need to do so?

For that matter, there's no need to go into Bennington, either, but it's also a fun place to visit.

Precisely, and that has become the "problem" with the AT, too many choices! In my opinion, it's nice to know there are so many places should one need to get into town for sickness, injury, gear failure, homesickess etc. but no need to go into all of them, unless you love town more than the trail.

I'd have a hard time picking next time between a totally different schedule (like Bennington to Rutland) or the same ole' from last time (which worked).

Kirby
10-18-2008, 22:32
Instead of Rutland, I too walked .5 mile off the trail to some convenience store, there's a great swimming spot right before the road if that helps anyone figure out what I'm talking about.

There's also a steep climb right after.

Split half a gallon with Cookie, life was good.

Kirby

fiddlehead
10-19-2008, 00:43
Only went there once in 4 northern AT hikes. Had to go to the hospital for a brown recluse spider bite.
I know the town from skiing Killington. It is very spread out from my recollection.

I was ok with small grocery stores and a cheap shower at a campground nearby where the trail crosses (NOBO after Killington)

Maybe i was rushing for NH too Kirby.

lonehiker
10-19-2008, 12:14
I was told that the bus would actually pick you up right at the road crossing. Can't verify that, however, as I hitched into Rutland. Someone going the opposite direction actually turned around and picked me up. Actually took me right to the hostel in downtown Rutland.

Railroad King
10-20-2008, 00:03
I came out of the trail on route 4, saw Trek standing by the road. Talked to him, he said the bus comes around every once and a while and for two bucks you get a ride into town. And yes, you can flag it down. Anyway the bus picked us up and took us to Rutland. The terminus of the route is at the bus station which is not even a tenth of a mile from the hostel. I think its actually in the same building complex if I remember right. Rutland is a really nice town, glad I stopped there. All you can eat Chinese buffet, great hostel, and a Super Wal-Mart very close to each other. Library not too far away either. I must have been there mid to late June this year on my thru-hike.

Blue Jay
10-20-2008, 10:07
Precisely, and that has become the "problem" with the AT, too many choices! In my opinion, it's nice to know there are so many places should one need to get into town for sickness, injury, gear failure, homesickess etc. but no need to go into all of them, unless you love town more than the trail.

I'd have a hard time picking next time between a totally different schedule (like Bennington to Rutland) or the same ole' from last time (which worked).

The "problem" is best fixed by doing the AT, over and over and over. It's kind of like making love, the more times the better.:banana

Bigglesworth
10-20-2008, 12:26
I went in at 103 (Clarendon Gorge). My main reason was timing, as I realized I'd arrive just in time for Rutland's Trail Fest, which I would highly recommend if you can pull it off. It was much cooler than we all anticipated, and became a thru-hiker reunion of sorts. Also, there is a fellow in the area who slackpacks people for the cost of gas money, so several people who went in at 103 did so to slack the next few days NOBO while staying at 12 tribes hostel in town. My hitch in from 103 was pretty easy, though it involves a couple roads.

Bigglesworth
10-20-2008, 12:30
Only went there once in 4 northern AT hikes. Had to go to the hospital for a brown recluse spider bite.
I know the town from skiing Killington. It is very spread out from my recollection.

I was ok with small grocery stores and a cheap shower at a campground nearby where the trail crosses (NOBO after Killington)

Maybe i was rushing for NH too Kirby.

Oh, I meant to mention that once you are in Rutland, it is very easy to get around from the hostel area - several services close by, including bus station, library, grocery, food. It would be a good place to nero or zero in that section, in my opinion.

Marta
10-20-2008, 12:33

Walking along a highway in the rain, it seems like it's a long, long way.

Actually, I misstated a bit in my original post. I walked from the new trail to the Inn, then hitched from there to Rutland, stayed at the Twelve Tribes' hostel, then hitched back to the road crossing where the white-blazed trail takes off. So I only did the boring roadwalk once. But it was raining. Hard.:rolleyes:

Kirby
10-20-2008, 17:57
If your going to end up at the Long Trail Inn, take the blue blaze trail that puts you right at the front door, then take that trail north and reconnect with the actual trail. Sherburne pass trail, I believe. It works well seeing as this trail is the old trail.

Why the hell they moved it is beyond me.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-20-2008, 18:29

i've heard the powers that be think the road crossing is too dangerous

rickb
10-20-2008, 18:33
Of course if you take the white blaze AT you can still end up at the Inn by walking a down short (1/4 Mile?) and relatively level blue blaze.

Not sure why some find taking that spur to be such a burden. Its very pleasant.

rickb
10-20-2008, 18:34
i've heard the powers that be think the road crossing is too dangerous

Turning left out of the Inn in a car after a drink or two is.

Peaks
10-21-2008, 18:18

Kirby

It was a result of Killington cutting a connector trail/road over to Pico.