PDA

View Full Version : attn: NOVA, DC, & MD hikers

phillycheze
10-17-2008, 12:32
hey all,
just wondering if any 'DMV' area hikers wanna meet up and do some winter backpacking.

hit me up.
-p-

DMV = washington dc, maryland, virginia

bredler
10-17-2008, 17:57
Sure. I live in Herndon, so you're just down the road. Do you want to meet and grab lunch to talk about it this weekend?

Mrs Baggins
10-17-2008, 18:06
We're in the middle of moving from SC to Alexandria VA (Thanks Be To God Let The Heavens Rejoice). Once we're all settled we'd like to try some winter hiking, some time in January maybe? I've got to deal with Thanksgiving and Christmas first.

dudeijuststarted
10-18-2008, 22:00
4 of us looking at doing some Shenandoah over Thanksgiving vaca....

phillycheze
10-19-2008, 11:39
thanksgiving sounds cool. Shenandoah's? i'm also looking at the laurel highlands trail; 70 miles with shelters.

phillycheze
10-24-2008, 15:33
anyone in for turkey weekend with dudeijuststarted and i?

2011_thruhiker
10-24-2008, 16:46
I am interested....would be nice to hook up with other hikers to learn a few things from you guys...

aaroniguana
10-24-2008, 17:34
South Baltimore here. Was thinking of a SOBO section in Nov, maybe 5 days? Would love to get in on this. [email protected]

Chance09
10-25-2008, 13:51
i was planning on doing a few days over thanksgiving as well. I'm from manasass, VA and i cross the AT on my way home. Was planning on getting dropped off on the way home from school and doing a few days on the AT but i'd be down for the laurel highlands trail too.

DAKS
10-25-2008, 16:52
i might be up for friday to monday after turkey day? was thinking north of hwy 50 towards harpers ferry, but open to suggestions?

Cookerhiker
10-25-2008, 19:18
thanksgiving sounds cool. Shenandoah's? i'm also looking at the laurel highlands trail; 70 miles with shelters.

Nice trail - I did it in March (http://www.trailjournals.com/lht). Don't forget the state requires you to make reservations for the shelters. Info is here (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/laurelridge.aspx). The trail's not too difficult - after the 7th mile (hiking NOBO from Ohiopyle), there's little elevation change. You're atop the ridgeline and unlike PA ridges further east, rocky stretches are few and far-between.

teachergal
10-25-2008, 20:11
I'm in Woodbridge...just down the road! :)
I am all for winter hiking - I pretty much just do dayhikes though - let me know when you all are going out - I can meet up, hike and then head back to civilization for the night! :)

aaroniguana
10-25-2008, 20:21
I was hoping to do something either starting or ending in Harper's Ferry. I'm up for that one, DAKS.

phillycheze
10-27-2008, 12:16
how long a stretch is rt. 50 to harpers ferry? i estimated about 30 miles

Cookerhiker
10-27-2008, 12:31
Close enough - it's 34 miles per the Companion.

seanm
10-27-2008, 13:46
Hey there, I'm also from Woodbridge, VA, and am looking at a few nice winter hikes...
Cheers,
s

DAKS
10-27-2008, 16:51
looks like my plans have changed regarding the hwy 50 nobo to harpers ferry over thanksgiving. maybe some of us could hook up at a later date for those miles?

phillycheze
10-30-2008, 17:23
friday after thanksgiving, it is on. but where r we going?

rOUx
11-02-2008, 19:37
I would be interested in joining up as well.

aaroniguana
11-02-2008, 22:42
I'm open to suggestion, but ready to go.

phillycheze
11-04-2008, 10:53
here it is: Big Scholss. (put that in the search window on trails.com) its a loop near wardensville, wv. wicked cool views and some established campsites. we also have an easy meeting point at my in-laws cabin, which happens to be outside of wardensville. that's pretty sweet because my friend found this hike in this months backpacker mag.

aaroniguana
11-04-2008, 11:16
The only thing I have to say is that my ex-wife owns and operates a restaurant in Wardensville, WV and I haven't seen her in over 8 years (with good reason, she's a homicidal nutjob).

But given that these facts would only add to the excitement of a weekend hiking trip, I'm SOOOO in!!!

phillycheze
11-04-2008, 11:54
which restaurant? LOL. who else is in for this one?
so far: me + 1 & aaroniguana

oh yeah, were clowns.

aaroniguana
11-04-2008, 13:51
I honestly don't know which one. I hear it's a deli that serves Korean food (since she's ethnically Korean). I have stayed out of that part of the world except for annual trips to the Prez Day Cave-In at Thompson's Motor Inn and the Old Timer's Reunion, but those are both on the other side of the Appalachian Range.

No matter, still in.

phillycheze
11-04-2008, 19:47
i donno a place that serves korean, but it wouldn't be hard to find!

who else is interested in the Big Schloss? we're meeting up and heading out on the friday after thanksgiving.

aaroniguana
11-06-2008, 16:40
It's called "The New Mountaineer". I've been advised by my children not to even set foot in Wardensville, but ***, let's go there for breakfast. Like I said, it adds to the adventure. :D

OTOH, Big Schloss looks good, but I was looking for something a little more than 4.1 miles. I have all weekend and could easily crawl that in a day.

aaroniguana
11-06-2008, 16:50
Unless of course you meant the Big Schloss section of the GET, in which case I'm still there.

ki0eh
11-06-2008, 19:26
Here's a longer way to visit the big castle: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id25.html

phillycheze
11-06-2008, 19:58
the route i grabbed off of www.trails.com is 20 miles long. i also printed the guide book section from that site. it has road directions to the trail head and a suggested route... we're just gonna wing it tho. we want a nice saturday afternoon to sip on some bourbon, cook well, and "chill."
so we wont be hiking to hard but we're going here for the schloss and the views from it.

what do u think?

aaroniguana
11-06-2008, 20:34
I think a 20 miler with those elevation gains would be a nice weekend gear shake down. Just promise you'll be gentle with me, I've just been cleared to hike again.

strates
11-06-2008, 20:59
I'm in for it, as long as it's on one of me off weekends. Just let me know when it is.

Cheers.

phillycheze
11-08-2008, 18:38
strates, we're meeting up the friday after thanksgiving.

aaron, what did u just get cleared from?

aaroniguana
11-08-2008, 20:04
Heh. Ties right into the other thread. I swerved to avoid a deer, rolled a brand new Chevy 2500 into a large oak. Fifty feet short or long and I probably could have driven home. More than a year, several surgeries and a painful false start later, I waited TO BE TOLD I could hike again.

CowHead
11-08-2008, 21:16
same here just need time to get off work

CowHead
11-08-2008, 21:26
friday after thanksgiven is great

aaroniguana
11-08-2008, 21:30
Cowhead, do you want a ride to Wardensville?

aaroniguana
11-09-2008, 18:52
OK so details. I may be bringing a friend who is in the process of moving from Michigan to North Carolina. And it's obviously NOT a good idea to meet up for breakfast at The New Mountaineer because my exwife is liable to poison ALL of us. So we have less than three weeks, lets iron this out.

CowHead
11-09-2008, 19:09
Yes we don't want to me poison lousy ex wifes.... anyway is this a Friday and Saturday hike I need to be back by Sunday

Monello
11-10-2008, 21:07
Still time to get in on the post turkey day hike???

phillycheze
11-11-2008, 05:39
i'll be in wardensville wed. night; hanging with the in-laws 'till friday when i head to the trail head.
what would be a good time to meet for yall?

did everyone take a look at the route?: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGD110-017
i know it's a pay site but it's all i got, 14 day trial is free. does anyone know a no-cost link to the same route?

phillycheze
11-11-2008, 05:43
delorme: virginia atlas & gazetteer: page 73, A6

CowHead
11-11-2008, 17:10
I have a little book from the AT conservancy of circuit hikes the route in there shows it’s a 12 mile

phillycheze
11-13-2008, 17:40
I have a little book from the AT conservancy of circuit hikes the route in there shows it’s a 12 mile loopffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

where does the route u found start from?

CowHead
11-13-2008, 19:44
FDR 92 to parking area at little stoney creek

tuswm
11-14-2008, 01:12
I think I will be leading a group of 4 or more people south from MD in to WV. We should be starting Friday after Thanksgiving around noon. 35 ish miles. We will most likely be starting form 70 & 40 near Frederick MD or harpers ferry WV.

CowHead
11-14-2008, 08:34
That a nice hike, I just did that on Veterans Day overnight it was cold and great remember your orange -deer season is in.<O:p</O:p

phillycheze
11-16-2008, 22:14
ok. i was concerned about the mileage so i grabbed some string and push pins, measured, and i came up with 19 miles. not too bad for a 3 day hike with some elevation loss/gain; especially with the time spent on top of the castle on saturday afternoon.
how can we finalize this?

aaroniguana
11-16-2008, 22:30
Tell me where we meet and where we can park. I can leave Baltimore at 5:00a Friday (assuming I'm not having a turkey hangover) which would put me in the Wardensville area around dawn. Would be nice if could meet somewhere for breakfast. I'll check to see if we can eat at The New Mountaineer since I can't do McDonalds and as I understand there aren't many breakfast places there.

phillycheze
11-17-2008, 01:29
a- shoot me an email so i can send u the s@#t i have: [email protected]

n e one for b-fast at my peeps cabin? (mucho less loot)

tuswm
11-18-2008, 01:35
good luck guys, sounds nice

phillycheze
11-20-2008, 18:13
cool yall; it's set. Big Schloss 19.5 mi. loop starting on friday (28th), spending 2 nights out, and heading back to cars on sunday. meeting time and place to follow very soon.

Downhill Trucker
12-09-2008, 22:26
I live in Baltimore and I'm always looking to get out. Have a few friends who join sometimes also. Lemme know if anyone's interested. I've done all of the AT in the area a bunch as well as some of the Catoctin Trail and a lot of the side hikes in Shenandoah and Catoctin/Cunningham. Always looking for new adventures.

phillycheze
12-10-2008, 13:58
always interested. hit me up.

Peanut
12-10-2008, 14:19
Wish I could join you but I'm busy then. Maybe next time!! :)

rOUx
12-16-2008, 23:43
I have been busy with work, but I am always doing solo backpacks and am looking for some people to hike with.

I am in Fredericksburg and am going to be taking some vacation time after Xmas. Any trips getting together i am down.

I have only been out here a year and need to meet some outdoor friends.

Long feet
12-17-2008, 03:34
I'm in Annapolis and have only been out here a couple of years, so I'm always looking for people to hike with. My plan is to hike the mid-atlantic AT in weekend sections. It sure would be great to meet some other hikers to shuttle cars. Let me know if anyone is planning another trip. That last one did not work for my schedule. Thanks.

DAKS
12-17-2008, 21:58
resigned from work effective 31 december. got lots of time to hike in the new year if anybody wants to link up? looking specifically to hike southern VA from the james river bridge south minus about 40 miles around pearisburg. also interested in sectioning other states. who's interested?
DAKS

csvahiker
12-17-2008, 22:11
To Longfeet and Roux

I am in Culpeper and need to hike MD and start south of SNP. Will be in GA 12/25 to 1/05. willing to shuttle in SNP VA MD area.

tuswm
12-18-2008, 01:22
anyone up for hiking around the MD section this weekend?

Long feet
12-18-2008, 17:42
I'll be on the trail this weekend with Rampli south of Harpers Ferry. I would love to finish the northern part of MD within the next couple of weeks. Any section I have not done is a section I'd like to do. My next job does not start until Jan 5th. I'm having a party on New Years Eve, so I would love to go on a hike before that. It would be great to find someone to shuttle cars and hike with. Let me know.

Jesse

naturejunkie
12-18-2008, 17:49
Anyone interested in a Saturday, Jan.3 hike on the MD AT? Cheers!

Long feet
12-18-2008, 18:53

I would love to go next weekend. I still would like to finish the northern half of Maryland. Interested in joining the group doing just south of MD this weekend?

rOUx
12-19-2008, 19:05
I am trying to free up some time around the new year. I am definitely up for some backpacking. MD, VA where ever is clever.

NatureJunkie and DAKS, lets try to work something out.

ofthearth
12-19-2008, 19:52
Is anyone going to the SORUCK?

Long feet
12-22-2008, 19:10

I would love to do the northern half that weekend, or if you want to do the whole thing I would be happy to shuttle and hike separately. I'll send you a PM.

tuswm
01-02-2009, 23:25
I have a small group going meeting at hood college in Fredric tomorrow around 11:30AM. We will have a quick meeting and look at the maps and decide where exactly where to go from there. probably PA line north as we have all done WV and MD now.

dudeijuststarted
01-05-2009, 00:33
anyone know of a campsite with cabin rental along the PA/MD/VA AT? I don't mind tenting but a buddy of mine is weary of it. looking to do a 5-8 miler (way outta shape!) and relax in a cabin sat. nite.

jethro
01-05-2009, 00:59
I have a small group going meeting at hood college in Fredric tomorrow around 11:30AM. We will have a quick meeting and look at the maps and decide where exactly where to go from there. probably PA line north as we have all done WV and MD now.

How did it go?

Downhill Trucker
01-05-2009, 05:00
anyone know of a campsite with cabin rental along the PA/MD/VA AT? I don't mind tenting but a buddy of mine is weary of it. looking to do a 5-8 miler (way outta shape!) and relax in a cabin sat. nite.

Go to the PATC website. Plenty of shelters and cabins. The Corbin Cabin in SNP is AWEWSOME.

Might be able to get cabin at Greenbrier St Pk in md. About 3/4 miles off the AT.

You also have several hostels. Heard Free State in MD is good and I have been to Bears Den in VA and that place, like Corbin Cabin, is an AT experience within itself.

tuswm
01-05-2009, 23:44
How did it go?

It went well. my group of three continued our hike in to PA. We have now done VA WV and MD. But we only did about 15 miles because we got a real late start about 1:30 and really like one of the sites we found about 7 miles in to PA. we had a good time, eat lots of food, drank some wine, made a huge fire and tried out equipment for the JMT, like bear cans and winter sleeping bags. we also took some side hikes on the way back to the car. I think it was the most relaxed hike and shortest mile hike I have done in years but it was a good time.

Thanks for asking. we are planning on going back out for two over nights in the up coming week. once either Wednesday or Thursday night and once Sunday night, if anyone wants to come.

Also about the cabins, there are some real nice shelters north of harpers ferry. If you wanted to do a 2 day 15 mile ish hike in to or out of harpers ferry both of those shelters have great views and are just nice.

There is a free cabin about 15 miles south of HP and there is a good parking spot about 7 miles south of that. The hike in has a great half way point at the top of some cliffs. great place for a snack and a break. The cabin it self has a wood burning stove to heat the cabin and 2 bunk beds. The cabin sleeps 8. There is also tent pads there, fire pits, chopped wood, and running water on the house. I think you can rent the house / hostel but I don't know specifics.

Sorry i forgot the names of the shelters but if you look at a map you should have no problem figuring out what I am taking about.

ECrandlemire
01-14-2009, 23:47
Anyone trying to escape the hustle and bustle of inaguration weekend in DC and do a little backpacking?

.5step
01-29-2009, 20:25
Go to the PATC website. Plenty of shelters and cabins. The Corbin Cabin in SNP is AWEWSOME.

Might be able to get cabin at Greenbrier St Pk in md. About 3/4 miles off the AT.

You also have several hostels. Heard Free State in MD is good and I have been to Bears Den in VA and that place, like Corbin Cabin, is an AT experience within itself.

Me and some buddies got snowed in at Corbin two years ago. They closed skyline and we stayed there for an extra two days before we could get out (Fri-Tues.) We had plenty of food and water, so no big deal, but that was fun one....

2011_thruhiker
01-29-2009, 22:24
I would be interested too depending on the dates...

Pringles
02-08-2009, 13:29
Hi,

I'm hoping to do Maryland over my college's spring break, which is the first week of March. Anyone interested in doing all or part of it?

Pringles

rOUx
02-09-2009, 16:38
I was planning on doing the SNP in early March, but it looks like plans might fall through. I would be interested in tagging along some MD stuff Pringles. Part of the whole thing. I just need to lock down some dates for work.

Pringles
02-09-2009, 18:36
Hi rOUx,

I have the first week of March for my spring break. I figure I could get into the area on Sunday, but I could leave a day earlier. Break ends the 8th, but I could probably extend that, if needed, by a day. I'll send you a PM, but I wanted to make the time frame visible in case someone else might be interested. Pringles

tuswm
02-12-2009, 16:06
Pringles, you only need 4 or 5 days to do all of MD. I usually have Wednesday and Thursday off and always looking for hiking partners for mid week hikes. Also I can tell you what are some of the nicer shelters in MD. If you want a longer hike that will take all week you should be able to hike from PA line down through MD to Harpers Ferry then all the way down though WV to the VA line. Its an easy six or seven day hike I think its only about 65 (WV about 20 miles and MD about 45) miles I think.

We(My GF and some other friends) were also thinking about hiking the Catoctin Trail the weekend or march 7th and 8th. That is 25 miles and goes past Catoctin trail. Its a two day trail and in my opinion is very different then the AT. If the AT is a highway in the woods, this is more of a two lane rd. If you finish MD in 4 or 5 days and want to make it a week you can come with us (if we end up going).

Also I am looking for a hiking partner(s) for the first week of April 1-9. I was thinking I want to hike somewhere I have never hiked before, like maybe Shenandoah NP. Still just trying to figure out what to do.

Pringles
02-12-2009, 20:29
tuswm, thanks for the information. My tentative schedule is 5 days, it's just that I have to drive quite a ways, so this will give me time in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

Good luck on you hike!

Pringles

knightjh
02-15-2009, 21:51
anyone up for a day hike in South Central PA Feb 21st ? probably Pine Grove Furnace, Big Flat or Caledonia ?

tuswm
02-16-2009, 00:01
I don't know much about PA where are those places?

My GF and I would like to do an over night next weekend either VA or souther PA we almost never go alone on the AT, any one care to come and share stories?

Also I have a full 9 days off the first part of April. I have never hiked Shenandoah NP and was thinking it would be nice to do about 100 miles there or some where else. I dint think any of the through hikers will be anywhere near MD yet but it would be nice to hike with other people and hike some where I have not hiked yet. I am also open to other ideas with in a days drive. suggestions welcome.

tuswm
02-25-2009, 15:30
Looks like a few friends are going to get a group of us to do saturday and sunday on the AT in MD if anyone wants to tag along.

.5step
02-25-2009, 16:40
i'm in DC/Baltimore (depending on the day). I might be interested in a jaunt this weekend. I start the AT a week later...could use another shakedown.

Ralph Z. Mooseriver
03-18-2009, 22:50
If anyone wants some company, I'm an experienced newbie looking for all the company I can get. I live near the Shenandoah trail by Front Royal. I try to get out every weekend for at least one night. I'm not good for much over 10 miles or so at the moment, but I'm improving quickly.

tuswm
03-20-2009, 01:40
I plan on hiking Shenandoah the first two weekends in april. this weekend though I think I will be doing souther PA. PM me your number.

dudeijuststarted
03-22-2009, 03:14
my job has been crucifying me. all i want to do is hike. if anyone has anything coming up in early april or has extra funds and needs a thru hiking partner, let me know.

work = joke

DIJS

Peanut
03-22-2009, 19:15
Parade of Fools hike on NJ AT -- April 4-5 ...2 cars leaving from MD, if you're interested...check it out in this forum :)

Cookerhiker
03-29-2009, 07:50
I'm heading to SNP tomorrow (Monday), arriving mid-afternoon and planning to camp at HighTop Hut while checking out my section. Weather's supposed to be good Monday & Tuesday so I'm planning to day-hike Tuesday and perhaps camp Tuesday night.

Short notice and it's a weekday but if anyone wants to join me, feel free. We could shuttle ourselves for the Tuesday hike.

tuswm
02-03-2010, 23:16
anyone up for a MD area snow hike?

daibutsu
02-04-2010, 20:53
tuswm,

Saw your 'bump' here for DC area hiking, I'm a member of this group, and one in Central PA, real good bunch of folks... http://www.midatlanticbackpackers.com/ you might want to check them out.

tuswm
02-27-2010, 00:01
Anyone going out this weekend?