PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Hats

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 13:20
How many of you guys wear cowboy hats when backpacking, i am thinking about it but is the wind bad enough that it will blow the hat off your head?

WILLIAM HAYES
10-17-2008, 14:12
I think it is pretty dorkie looking and not practical on the AT

Mags
10-17-2008, 14:16
How many of you guys wear cowboy hats when backpacking, i am thinking about it but is the wind bad enough that it will blow the hat off your head?

Is there a reason you want a cowboy hat in particular? Or are you just looking for advice on hats in general?

I am sure there are some hikers who use cowboy hats, but I've not seen many myself.

Most hats people wear of the wide brimmed variety have a lock cord. That tends to keep the hat on in most windy conditions. I don't recall if most cowboy hats have them or not, but I suspect you could sew one on if need be. It seems cowboy hats may be a heavy as well for most general backpacking versus other hats.

KG4FAM
10-17-2008, 14:16
I think it is pretty dorkie looking and not practical on the ATDon't want to get a ticket from the fashion police on the trail, it might break the bank.

If the back of the hat doesn't interfere with your pack then give it a shot.

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 14:25
i like the full brim because my ears and neck won't get burnt. Plus, since ive lived out west i am just used to wearing a cowboy hat. Plus, they are waterproof if made out of beaver fur felt.

Mags
10-17-2008, 14:45
i like the full brim because my ears and neck won't get burnt. Plus, since ive lived out west i am just used to wearing a cowboy hat. Plus, they are waterproof if made out of beaver fur felt.

Well, other than a cord lock, it should work for you. Give it whirl! As mentioned, should be easy enough to sew a cord lock on if you want to.

I'm all about dorky looking hats while hiking... (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=18047):)

Pedaling Fool
10-17-2008, 14:55
I have a bucket style Gore-tex hat from OR that has velcro on the flaps; when you attach it to the velcro on the hat it kind of looks like a cowboy hat. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___00493?CS_003=2450921&CS_010=493

Click on the "LARGER IMAGE" button, that's exactly the type of hat I have.

jesse
10-17-2008, 14:58
One problem might be where/how do you store it when you don't want to wear it. If you decide to wear it, you will get a new trail name, like it or not.

Pedaling Fool
10-17-2008, 15:04
One problem might be where/how do you store it when you don't want to wear it. If you decide to wear it, you will get a new trail name, like it or not.
That's a good point, my hat (above in post #7) collapses and sits on the top of my pack (main compartment), can't do that with a cowboy hat.

Blissful
10-17-2008, 15:19
Yes, you will likely lose your hat. Lots of windy days. And not easy to carry.

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 15:19
i could probly just hang it onto the outside of my pack?

NICKTHEGREEK
10-17-2008, 15:21
Cowboys seemed to make them work under pretty horrid weather conditions, on a galloping horse, etc. I'd say they may be way better headgear than a ball cap. I've witnesed first hand what can happen when you tell a real cowboy his hat looks dorky, so I reserve all comments fashion wise.
I assume some of the features evolved from the necessity to fan away all those bean blammos, so they are natural shelter wear.

Blissful
10-17-2008, 15:21
My hubby likes to wear his Greek fisherman's cap.
If that's your thing and how have a way to carry it if needed, wear it.

Phreak
10-17-2008, 15:23
I've never seen a cowboy hat on the AT. But to each his own. Have at it! :)

NICKTHEGREEK
10-17-2008, 15:24
Don't want to get a ticket from the fashion police on the trail, it might break the bank.

If the back of the hat doesn't interfere with your pack then give it a shot.

Can't get worse

OldStormcrow
10-17-2008, 15:30
I've tried them, but they usually keep hitting the back of my pack. I reckon it just depends on how tall your pack is, pardner.....

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 16:03
I am an ultralight backpacker so i have a pack that is smaller than normal so i dont think the hat hitting the pack will be an issue.

Manach
10-17-2008, 16:55
I've seen some made of a synthetic felt; they were fairly light and, best of all, were collapsible. You could squish it all out of shape and it just popped right back.

This was at an outdoors store in Georgia some years ago; I don't know where you could find one otherwise.

budforester
10-17-2008, 17:04
I am an ultralight backpacker so i have a pack that is smaller than normal so i dont think the hat hitting the pack will be an issue.

Yeah, go for it if it's comfortable for you. They'll probably call you "Tex" and you may need to tie it down with a piggin' string.

Zzzzdyd
10-17-2008, 17:22
This site is at times more entertaining that the comedy channel.

Thanks folks and keep em coming.

I carry a Go lite breeze and couldn't make my Tilly full brim work without it

constantly bumping my pack, so I went with a ball cap.

Good luck "Tex" lol

Your to funny budforester .."tie it down with piggin string " !

budforester
10-17-2008, 19:31

I think your nice Stetson would get mighty beat up during a long hike. I wore felt "crusher" hats for a few years, that I blocked up kinda "western" and fitted with stampede- strings. They could be rolled up and stashed in a pocket. When I couldn't find those anymore, I started with "boonie" hats (I guess they're even more dorky)

Haiku
10-17-2008, 23:50
http://www.d1004105.mydomainwebhost.com/applications/Gallery/albums/Continental-Divide-Trail/IMG_0043_003.jpg

I wore a straw cowboy hat in Montana on the CDT. It was good for keeping the sun off my neck, but got a little warmer than my baseball cap when the sun was beating down on it. Even in high winds I didn't have too many problems with keeping it on my head. I also didn't have any problems with it hitting the back of my pack, since my pack only comes up to the tops of my shoulders (in this photo the object sticking way up is a Martin backpacker guitar, and it was strapped onto the back of the pack so it was too far back to interfere with the hat). On the AT you definitely won't need a cowboy hat to shade you, but it will help in the rain. The humidity is way higher than out west, so it'll be pretty hot on your head. Even a bandanna is often too much on the AT.

Haiku.

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 23:58
i grew up about 25 miles from the bear mountain lodge so i am used to the humidity and weather(or at least i was 7 years ago lol)

m0rpheu5
10-17-2008, 23:59
what kind of hat was that straw one, i am going to wear my beaver fur felt serratelli if i do wear one.

Montana Mac
10-18-2008, 10:06
i am going to wear my beaver fur felt serratelli if i do wear one.

After having lived "on horses" for the past 12 summers and wearing a "cowboy" hat I can tell you a good beaver hat is warm. They are not totally waterproof, get heavy when they do get soaked and depending on the hat you may find some of the color will run off with the rain.

A very easy way to make your hat "windproof" is to cut the interior head band in two spots near the back of the hat. I normally made each cut about an inch either side of the center. When the wind blows just fold this "flap" down over the back of your head. The hat will stay in place.
Another option is to add a "Wyoming wind strap", this would also give you something to hang your hat off the pack with.

Also black will attract more flies and misquotes than a white hat.

wnderer
10-18-2008, 10:28
I used to hike with a cowboy hat, but with my head down looking at the trail the brim would hide the blazes and signs to the shelters. Ended up hiking past shelters or missing the double blaze turns and hiking straight. And when I hike back to the fork, it wasn't always clear whether I came out of the left or right branch. I didn't hike the wrong way but it led to some miles wondering whether I was hiking the wrong way. All those boulders look alike. Don't have that problem with a bandana.

SunnyWalker
10-18-2008, 20:42
Morph: Wow, that beaver felt hat will be warm on the AT. However, it would work if you like it. Great for rain. I took mine to the shop I bought it at-where I take it for clearning once in awhile and reshaping. Anyway, they can punch holes in the side for you to place your cord in. The cord goes thru the holes and around the back of the hat. Hangs down around your chin or on back of your nect if you don't need it. I am sure you know about that! I have a Sunbody cowboy hat I had this done to and then had them "punch" holes for ventilation. I use it hiking in Big Bend and in the Sangre de Cristo mtns in New Mex. The holes-it was the store's suggestion and it is great. When I say "punch" it is a hole with a metal liner. Looks cool. From one westerner(I'm in Texas) to another-Wahoooooo!

Haiku
10-19-2008, 23:20
what kind of hat was that straw one, i am going to wear my beaver fur felt serratelli if i do wear one.

Just a cheapo one. It got pretty beat up after hiking with it for a couple of weeks.

Haiku.

emerald
10-19-2008, 23:47
i am going to wear my beaver fur felt serratelli if i do wear one.

You may want to look into a beaver serratelli in fluorescent orange.