PDA

View Full Version : gloves

Texasgirl
10-17-2008, 22:00
Okay ladies, am I the only one whose fingers absolutely freeze in the most mildest of cold weather? Runs and bike rides are bad enough, but at least my body is really heating up. But on hikes... if it's even 50 degress my fingers are cold, getting to 30 and 40 I'm in 2 pairs of gloves and tucked in my pockets. And gloves are so bulky for the pack. Is it just me? Are there gloves out there that really keep the hands warm without being the giant snow ski variety?

Tipi Walter
10-18-2008, 00:15
Check out down mittens.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=30_71&products_id=270

Frau
10-18-2008, 01:05
My hands don't so much get cold, rather, the skin on my fingertips cracks. I have to wear gloves under 65 degrees to prevent the cracking. I have a variety of weights, but all are leather, both with and without lining.

I think I look like an idiot hiking in a sleeveless wicking shirt and gloves (and britches of course) but I have to.

Frau

Just Plain Jim
10-18-2008, 20:38
Check your local running stores for lightweight gloves. I carry 2 pairs [different weights and thickness] every time that I hike. Now,:-? I don't wear both pairs at the same time.

Blissful
10-18-2008, 21:00
Never had a problem with fingers cold like that, except in 30s and below. I just used these gloves I got from Lands End - work fine for me.
Maybe you have a bit of a circulatory problem - ? Also if you keep your core warm and put hat on the moment you feel cold, that helps as well.

River Runner
10-19-2008, 23:51
Never had a problem with fingers cold like that, except in 30s and below. I just used these gloves I got from Lands End - work fine for me.
Maybe you have a bit of a circulatory problem - ? Also if you keep your core warm and put hat on the moment you feel cold, that helps as well.

I'm with Blissful here. If you fingers are getting so cold in the 30's and 40's, it suggests a circulation problem to me. I'd check with your doctor. My husband changed from having warm hands to cold hands, and it turned out he had diabetes and artery disease.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
10-20-2008, 09:45
I'm with Blissful here. If you fingers are getting so cold in the 30's and 40's, it suggests a circulation problem to me. I'd check with your doctor. My husband changed from having warm hands to cold hands, and it turned out he had diabetes and artery disease.

It's also entirely possible that your backpack straps are too tight. The blood circulation through your arms might be slightly restricted. This causes not only cold fingers/hands but also some tingling in your fingers. A simple adjustment of your backpack might be all you need.
Also, in my early hiking days, I found that my hands would start to tingle when walking long distances. My doctor and physical trainer both said the same thing: keeping the hands in the downward position all the time while walking will restrict blood flow, even if you swing them back and forth while walking. Try to move your arms overhead every few minutes!
As far as an adequate pair of gloves for hiking/backpacking in cooler weather, I'd suggest fingerless wool gloves. Try a larger fishing outfitter to pick up a pair. They might also have woolen mittens for the really cold hikes.

sarbar
10-20-2008, 21:01
I have cold hands nearly all the time - just who I am! I have thin liner gloves I carry and wear on many trips.
They allow one to have most of their tactile movements. It seems for me, if I just hav a layer on my hands (and feet!) I am warm :)

Live the Journey
10-20-2008, 22:52
I have a circulatory condition called Raynoids which makes me prone to frostbite and gives me what my mother always called "cold dead fish" feet and hands. Basically my hands and feet are almost always cold (and remarkably cold to the touch when other people feel my hands or feet...much colder then the air temp) and when I try to warm them up they usually just sweat, but remain just as cold. There is medication that treats Raynoids, but I'm told the side effects are much worse then the disease itself and that it can mess with my blood pressure quite a bit, so I opt to deal. What I have found to work best for me is to start the day off with warm hands, however that needs to happen (dunking in very warm water until they're warm to the touch, holding them against my warm belly while I'm still in my sleeping bag, etc.) and then I put on a pair of Powerstretch gloves. I'll take care of everything I need to do that needs me to have full dexterity of my fingers and then I'll put on a Shell liner Mitten over the powerstretch. This combination has worked very very well for me and my prize winning cold hands....here are some links to the gloves I prefer.
Also keep in mind that if it's still even colder, you could always get a mitten with more insulation, but I have found this combo to give me good dexterity with little bulk.

http://www.rei.com/product/769516
http://www.rei.com/product/725077

JAK
10-21-2008, 08:29
I recommend wool mitts for hiking and skiing, hand knit with real wool. In warmer weather for something minimal light fleece gloves are good. Your hands will also be warmer if you wear a hat, or a heavier sweater. I think you should still get your hands cold now and then though, to keep them trained. I would avoid mitts and gloves that have leather palms as they seem to just soak up water and stay cold and wet. There are some good gloves in kayak stores. I have used them sailing. They are a course knit, but seem to cling to your fingers when they are wet, and they have little rubber dimples. They are the best I have found for cold wet conditions when you still need to be able to work your fingers.

Texasgirl
10-22-2008, 18:51
I've never tried wool mittens or gloves. That's a route I'd be very willing to test. Thanks!

Texasgirl
10-22-2008, 18:53
Also keep in mind that if it's still even colder, you could always get a mitten with more insulation, but I have found this combo to give me good dexterity with little bulk.

Hey thanks for the info. That dexterity issue is a problem I have experienced as well when pulling on 2 or 3 pairs of various gloves. LOL

booney_1
10-28-2008, 09:05
Having cold hands in the 30's and 40's is not unusual when you are exercising. I run year round (in NC), and whenever the temperature drops below 50 I wear gloves. Many runners do the same thing. It's not unusual to see runners wearing shorts, a longsleeve shirt and gloves.

I would second the motion on mittens, if gloves aren't doing the job. A real dense or thick wool mitten is nice. Also, there are a lot of fleece mittens around that are light and warm. Check out REI,Wal-mart or target for these.

JAK
10-28-2008, 09:39
Some wool is better for very cold conditions, and some wool is better for cold and wet conditions. I have found that a coarse wool like Briggs and Little's mitten wool is best for cold and wet conditions around freezing, even with wind. The wind blows through a little but that helps them dry and keeps them comfortable. They feel like they throw heat back to you but its not really like that. They just hold your own body heat and throw that back at you after you take them off for a second or after a cold breeze blows into them and take some moisture away. A fleecier wool is nice also, and might be better for cold dry conditions and still ok for cold wet conditions, but they do tend to hold water longer, and felt easier. There are many nice wools, but try a pair of hand knit mittens, and a matching hat, knit with a coarse wool like this stuff...

Briggs & Little
http://www.briggsandlittle.com/wool/products.asp?id=yarn

Maine has some excellent wool and knitters also.

Here is a good general reference site on wool, knitting, knitters, and knit goods...
http://www.woolworks.org/

JAK
10-28-2008, 09:52
I got my current mittens, best ever, at a store in St.Andrews.
They are all blue but the same as in ones in the middle pattern here, using the Briggs & Little Heritage yarn...
http://weavingrainbow.com/briggslittlepatterns.html

The are a pretty close match to my sweater, which is actually from Prince Edward Island using a local wool there. It would be closest to the Diamond pattern above, except the shoulders are more like a guernsey. I think it was actually made on a knitting machine and then hand knit together.
http://www.guernsey-sweaters.com/system/index.html

JAK
10-28-2008, 10:08
I was in the Channel Islands once, back in 1989 visiting a girl I met in 1988. Anyhow, I bought an Alderney sweater from these folks and would recommend one of their classic fishermens sweaters made with British oiled wool. Perfect wool layer for really wet conditions.
http://www.channeljumper.com/index.php?page=Products&sessid=

My sweater is similar in weight, but better I think for the mix of cold rain and wet snow and colder stuff that I hike in. I am actually wearing it now at work, so its not too hot either. I wear a t-shirt under it when I think I might want to take it off, but I often wear it without one. Many many good wools though. Best to check out some real wool shops to get a feel for the good stuff. Then you can bargain shop just about anywhere. Good clothing stores tend not to sell the best wool. There stuff looks good, and sometimes isn't bad, but is more for fashion and cheap production costs than for real function.

gearfreak
10-28-2008, 11:36
These gloves (http://www.rei.com/product/769559) from Mountain Hardwear might be just what you're looking for. I carry some for those cold mornings to make lighting my stove and packing up a little easier. Other than that, I typically don't deal with cold hand issues. :cool:

Gray Blazer
10-28-2008, 13:18
Some silk glove liners work well in cool temps. You can still button some buttons and snap things without taking them off. Whoops, I just notices the pink background. I'm outa here!!