PDA

View Full Version : Chorizo-A Tasty, Easily packed sausage

highway
03-23-2004, 19:40
Just a thought about a tasty sausage I often take that requires no refrigeration. They are small, easy to pack and make a great, meaty addition to almost any dish you slice it up into, as well as lending a little sweet, paprika seasoning to the dish as well. It is called Chorizo, a hard sausage that originated in Spain and can usually be found in the "ethnic"section of most supermarkets in this country. Well, in Florida, anyway. They come bagged in cellophane and are found hanging on display alongside the aisles were ethnic foods are sold, usually near Mexican foodstuffs

In defense of the Chorizo, the ones sold here are usually somewhat greasier and are made with smaller chunks of pork than the chorizos of Spain. Anyway, I much prefer them to the various summer sausages. They are a great addition to any bean dish, too, just chopped up in it. Very tasty and packable. You dont even have to repack it!

deeddawg
03-23-2004, 23:32
Interesting... when I buy chorizo at a local Whole Foods market, it is raw like buying Italian sausage and requires refrigeration and thorough cooking.

Thanks for posting that info -- I'm going to have to look for the style of cooked/dried chorizo you describe, as that would be fantastic for backpacking, I love chorizo and had no idea there was a no-cook version out there. (forgive my lack of experience, never been to Spain, and only been to mexico a handful of times)

Toolshed
03-26-2004, 10:09
The Supermarkets around here (PA/NJ) carry both the raw and the cooked Chorizo. I do like the raw better - It seems ot have less grease, but I agree the cooked is great on the trail - I like it better than pepperoni and better than summer sausage as well.

If only I could get my hands on some ofthe old fashioned Hartmann's Smoked Hungarian and Polish sausages from Rochester NY - They were truly smoked and were always hung to dry in the store. I have carried them for 8-10 days in a paper bag in my pack and all they did was get a little drier and a lot tastier.

cabalot
04-04-2004, 02:15
guys'
most spainish nationalities have there version of chorizo. i have never heard of one that was raw. the portugese chorizo sold at a good portugese market will have loads of good pork and much less fat than commercial store bought. it is great grilled served on bread or with beans or with kale. great in soups to. great trail food, protien, fat and lasts. a less spicey version is linguicia.

okpik
04-04-2004, 08:32
I married a Portugee, this stuff is a staple like salt n pepper. They season and flavor everything with it.

I never thought of it before but it might make great jerky or last a while dried.

I'll let ya know. :-?

highway
04-06-2004, 10:29
I married a Portugee, this stuff is a staple like salt n pepper. They season and flavor everything with it.

I never thought of it before but it might make great jerky or last a while dried.

I'll let ya know. :-?

While I have never seen any uncooked version, the cured versions require nothing further to prevent them from spoiling and are often kept outside any refrigerated container. So, removing any more water from the hard sausage is probably unnecessary. There is a Portugese version that is imported here and is called something like "cantimpahlo" (don't know its correct spelling) and is probably the best tasting one we can get in the US, that I have found anyway. But it is quite difficult to locate. I once spent a couple of years in Spain and married a Spanish woman and we also use a lot of chorizo at home. A good one is outstanding :jump