PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

ole slo
10-18-2008, 15:49
I have been thinking of hiking some of the trail this year and I would like to ask if anyone knows how deep the water is in the first seven miles North of Loop Road. I think I read there has been a lot of rain this year.

Hammock Hanger
10-18-2008, 21:27
There was a swamp tromp a few weeks back. The swamp is passable but you may find yourself in knee to thigh deep water in some spots. -- I have done this and it is a unique experience, you should go for it.

Gray Blazer
10-18-2008, 22:04
There was a swamp tromp a few weeks back. The swamp is passable but you may find yourself in knee to thigh deep water in some spots. -- I have done this and it is a unique experience, you should go for it.

I'll take your word for it.

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2008, 08:02
I'll take your word for it. You know you want to ...

Egads
10-19-2008, 08:28
There was a swamp tromp a few weeks back. The swamp is passable but you may find yourself in knee to thigh deep water in some spots. --

At what level is this fun?

BumpJumper
10-19-2008, 09:49
At what level is this fun?

When you make it through the hike and dont have a gator on your butt!!!:D

wannahike
10-19-2008, 09:50
I hiked in the Fakahatchee Strand yesterday. The water was between 18-26 inches deep. This is north of US 41 and just west of Big Cypress.
It was a great day and there were no mosquitos.

wannahike
10-19-2008, 09:53
When you make it through the hike and dont have a gator on your butt!!!:D

Only saw 2 gators and both were sun bathing on the road

wahoo
10-19-2008, 13:34
I was at the Muck-About on Labor Day. Hurricane Gustav dropped a good amount of rain that weekend (during the night) and Loop Road I understand is still really bad. I tried like heck to get my Honda Element to the terminus and had to bail about a quarter of a mile away.
The water was flowing hard across the road, and at a couple of spots I had water over the top of the hood! I gave some Jeep dudes a good laugh.

Good sized gators along Loop Road too, at the Sweetwater Strand bridge.

BumpJumper
10-19-2008, 17:37
Beth where are you located at?

wannahike
10-19-2008, 18:00
Hey Dawn.
I'm in SoFL, we met when you came by the 7-70 hikes. You brought pizza the first year! :)

BumpJumper
10-19-2008, 19:26
Ok. I surely didnt remember everyones names. Good to know who you are talking to.
Hey, did you do this years?

wannahike
10-19-2008, 19:43
yes, and I hope I get to go next year too.
Didn't we all go to dinner this year in your truck?

Gray Blazer
10-19-2008, 23:29
You know you want to ...

Back in the late 60's our fearless boyscout leaders had checked out a route by flying over it in a small plane. So we started canoeing on the Withalacoochee at a bridge east of Dade City. We portaged around one huge hyacinth blockage. Went a few miles further and came to another blockage of a small lake and we got out in the water and hacked and pushed our way through. It was kinda like being in Africa and hacking through the jungle. Fun at first. Did that all day and most of the next and decided we were lost. Someone bushwhacked 2 miles through the swamp to a cow pasture with a dirt road that led 5 miles to a house. I had to make 3 trips hauling our canoe boxes and canoes through the swamp to the cow pasture where we camped for 2 days. The water was up to our armpits and deeper. Fun memory, but, I have no desire to tempt fate again.

tom_alan
10-20-2008, 01:07
Back in the late 60's our fearless boyscout leaders had checked out a route by flying over it in a small plane. So we started canoeing on the Withalacoochee at a bridge east of Dade City. We portaged around one huge hyacinth blockage. Went a few miles further and came to another blockage of a small lake and we got out in the water and hacked and pushed our way through. It was kinda like being in Africa and hacking through the jungle. Fun at first. Did that all day and most of the next and decided we were lost. Someone bushwhacked 2 miles through the swamp to a cow pasture with a dirt road that led 5 miles to a house. I had to make 3 trips hauling our canoe boxes and canoes through the swamp to the cow pasture where we camped for 2 days. The water was up to our armpits and deeper. Fun memory, but, I have no desire to tempt fate again.

Gary ~ you sound like you had a wonderful adventure. I do think you left behind an air boat! :eek: At least you have a great story to tell.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZS&utm_id=7925)

GeneralLee10
10-21-2008, 18:28
I am sorry but I must say walking in the swamp is not much fun. As I get payed to do it and dislike it very much.

BumpJumper
10-21-2008, 20:36
Beth was it you that rode in my truck to go up to Sonnys? One of these days, I will get to hike it with yall. Just cant take a week off yet.

floridahikes
10-27-2008, 15:27
You can't get to the southern terminus of the FT right now: Loop Road is STILL closed due to abnormally high water levels. http://www.nps.gov/bicy/parknews/portion-of-loop-road-closed.htm

I wouldn't recommend heading there until they reopen the road. The water was pretty deep (a good two feet over normal) on Labor Day Weekend and is even deeper now.

Cheers, Navigator .... back from two weeks in Texas!

tucker0104
10-28-2008, 20:38
I still have not seen a gator and have lived in florida for 7 years.

BumpJumper
10-28-2008, 20:58
Tucker my dear...You just aint been lookin then!:eek:

Cool AT Breeze
10-28-2008, 23:50
I still have not seen a gator and have lived in florida for 7 years.
Dude, let me know when you want to go. We'll go find you one.

tucker0104
10-29-2008, 18:31
I would just jump in there like I am the gator tamer and get eaten.

Hammock Hanger
10-29-2008, 20:14

sounds like fun... NOT!! Did ya have fun camping in the cow patties??

BumpJumper
10-30-2008, 17:54
Are you kidding Sue...Gray fried em up and ate em all down with a jug and a half of buttermilk!!:D:D:D:D

Hammock Hanger
10-30-2008, 21:43
Are you kidding Sue...Gray fried em up and ate em all down with a jug and a half of buttermilk!!:D:D:D:D

He be the MAN (full of s**t.);)

Gray Blazer
10-30-2008, 22:00
Actually it was a pretty nice camping spot. We stayed there a day and a half while someone hiked out to the road and called our rides.

BumpJumper
10-30-2008, 22:45
Sue, why dont you come down and do the Dec hike with me and Tami?

Hammock Hanger
10-31-2008, 07:56
Sue, why dont you come down and do the Dec hike with me and Tami?

I would love to but I can't hike or do anything that might inflame my knee between now and surgery. Are you guys interested in a 2-3 day paddle/camp in the Okefenokee Swamp?? If so let me know and I'll see what I can reserve for the early part of next year. Sue/HH

Gray Blazer
10-31-2008, 09:01
Are you guys interested in a 2-3 day paddle/camp in the Okefenokee Swamp?? Sue/HH

I might be interested in that! My wife may be too scared, though. I did get her to camp on Wayah Bald last weekend, but, the swamp thing may be too much for her.

Hammock Hanger
10-31-2008, 14:00
I might be interested in that! My wife may be too scared, though. I did get her to camp on Wayah Bald last weekend, but, the swamp thing may be too much for her.

basically it is a series of short paddles, the longest day is can be up to 12 depending on what site you get. Then there are wooden platforms with roofs for the tents or hammocks to set up on. There is an outhouse at each one. There is a fabulous cabin with a fireplace on one of the routes.

We have done the full 5 day circuit but that is no loner open. Two nights is now the max.

It is a beautiful and quiet area full of birds. The 3 times we went we never saw another person from the time we put in till we got near the take out.

I only recommend going during the cool months as summer means GIANT MESQUITOES.

I'm more then willing to plan a trip if folks are interested.

Sue/HH

BumpJumper
10-31-2008, 22:12
Yeah, I just read about your knee Sue. I am sorry.
What about the Thanksgiving paddle.

wahoo
11-02-2008, 22:05
Tucker, this one is for you. I took this out on the FT loop at Teneroc Fish Management Area near Lakeland.
Blog post and video soon to follow....
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/9/3/9/8/dsc02276_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29033&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=9398&cutoffdate=-1)

BumpJumper
11-03-2008, 22:32
He is a little chump!:D

slow
11-03-2008, 23:02
He is a little chump!:D

He really is small.

BumpJumper
11-04-2008, 00:09
Yes. I agree. When they get 12'....then that is gator worth lookin at:D

wahoo
11-04-2008, 09:40
Not a twelve footer for sure, but a solid 8' for sure. I suppose y'all would have just hopped right over him..!

wahoo
11-04-2008, 09:48
basically it is a series of short paddles, the longest day is can be up to 12 depending on what site you get. Then there are wooden platforms with roofs for the tents or hammocks to set up on. There is an outhouse at each one. There is a fabulous cabin with a fireplace on one of the routes.

We have done the full 5 day circuit but that is no loner open. Two nights is now the max.

It is a beautiful and quiet area full of birds. The 3 times we went we never saw another person from the time we put in till we got near the take out.

I only recommend going during the cool months as summer means GIANT MESQUITOES.

I'm more then willing to plan a trip if folks are interested.

Sue/HH

That's a great paddle. I lived just outside of Waycross as a kid and we spent a lot of time out in the swamp. Good times...

BumpJumper
11-05-2008, 10:53
Is Sue having her surgery, does anyone know?

Hammock Hanger
11-05-2008, 21:11
Is Sue having her surgery, does anyone know?

My surgery is scheduled for the 14th. :o

I'm not overly concerned but my hubby is a bit nervous as his sister passed away the day after having this same procedure. She got a blood clot to the lung. So, if ya all will keep me in your prayers I would appreciate it.

cowboy nichols
11-05-2008, 21:19
HH you are very much in my prayers and thoughts.May God be with you.

BumpJumper
11-05-2008, 21:48
You know it girl. I know how that can happen. But you know you are going to be ok. Keep us informed.

wahoo
11-05-2008, 23:13
HH - You'll be in all our thoughts and prayers. Get that knee fixed and let's do some hiking!

floridahikes
11-08-2008, 23:17
Sue, wishing you the best for the 14th. It's an auspicious day, it seems...

Rob's best friend is going in for a bone marrow transplant that day. He's fortunate to find a match and be healthy enough now for the procedure. He'll be 3 months recuperating and we're hoping the best that the cancer will subside.

And my brother and sister-in-law are expecting a girl due that day. If she's late, I may be late to the Big O!

Hugs from afar,
Navigator