PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrator Recommendations?

Manwich
10-18-2008, 16:08
I bought a Ronco 5 dehydrator the other day at Target, opened it up, and it was a box full of smashed plastic, and the bottom piece was nothing more than a single heating element, No Fan. Cheap Crap.

I've checked most stores in my area, they don't have any dehydrators... So I'm forced to order online.

Does anybody have any experience with certain dehydrators? Pros/Cons? Do they have fruit-leather capabilities? etc etc...

Cuffs
10-18-2008, 17:06
Pricey, but worth every penny... Excalibur http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, I highly recommend this company.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2008, 17:29
Pricey, but worth every penny... Excalibur http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, I highly recommend this company.
Second that. There are some things you should not buy in a department store.

Phreak
10-18-2008, 17:54
I've used this dehydrator for several years.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14099344

sarbar
10-18-2008, 19:15
The Nesco mentioned above is a very affordable work horse. You can find great deals on Amazon for them. They run $45-75 or so.

SunnyWalker
10-18-2008, 20:33
I bought one at the local Walmart. Wow, it works great. I especially like dehey apples. Yummmmm. I am sure you could spend more on one. But this one has at least 6 trays, fan, heater and etc., etc. Pretty neat. I have used the food I have prepared on it for many hikes and it still runs great.

bredler
10-18-2008, 20:54
I just made some jerky in the oven today...super easy and really tasty.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2008, 21:05
I just made some jerky in the oven today...super easy and really tasty.
How long did it take? Jerky from a stove or dehydrator tastes the same to me, but (at least in my case) the dehydrator uses much less energy. A fan is crucial for a good dehydrator, the faster you can get the moist air away from the food the quicker it dries. My oven acts like a sauna because the moist air is not forced out; cracking the stove door open helps, but then the iron is always getting juice (electricity) because cool air continually enters the stove.

beeman
10-18-2008, 21:16
I have a nesco. It s great! expandible also.

Grinder
10-18-2008, 21:16
Just for the record, I own a cheap dehydrator, (like the Ronco) which has the single element.

Mine must be made of better plastic because it hasn't broken during the twenty years I've had it.

I know Sarbar says the Nesco is much more capable I respect her opinion. It must be grand.

I can only say that mine has successfully dehydrated my meals for three weeks of hiking in the last few years. You do have to fuss with the vents and it normally takes overnight to "get 'er done". But, "get er done" it does.

Grinder

Jim Adams
10-19-2008, 18:30
If you are still looking for cheap but very efficient and useable check SEARS. They actually have a decent selection of medium priced to expensive. I just purchased one for my son a month ago...don't remember the brand but it was a $79 unit with a dual element and fan on sale for $29! Go online...my local SEARS had nothing in stock.

geek

sarbar
10-19-2008, 22:03
It used to be the Ronco ones were not bad - but yeah past 10 years they became awful. I have had people email me and talk about how the food never dried - just got moldy sitting on the trays :(

My first dehydrator was a single setting one - it blasted the heat out without a circulating fan. It worked but hoo, did I have to pay attention and move trays around hourly so everything got done.

Having temp settings and a fan are worth the extra few dollars on new machines :)

My other dehydrator is a L'EQUIP one. It is on the price level as say an Excalibur. It has computer controlled drying sensors. Is it overkill? Pretty much....but it is so shiny and pretty :D

budforester
10-19-2008, 22:35
I've used this dehydrator for several years.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14099344

I see a similar model and price at Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80036). My dehydrator must be the old version; their trays fit, but my fan and heater are on the bottom. As long as I was ignorant, mine was working just fine. Is there a significant advantage to having the heat and blower elements on the top?

Jim Adams
10-19-2008, 22:37
I see a similar model and price at Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80036). My dehydrator must be the old version; their trays fit, but my fan and heater are on the bottom. As long as I was ignorant, mine was working just fine. Is there a significant advantage to having the heat and blower elements on the top?

actually no. the fan will circulate and heat naturally rises.

geek

tiptoe
10-20-2008, 13:09
Another vote for the Excalibur (I have the 5-tray model). Pricey, but worth it to me. I buy fruit when it's on sale and put up batches, then stockpile them in the freezer for the next hike. I also dehydrate complete meals, fruit rollups, and beef jerky. Not to mention "sun"-dried tomatoes from the garden.

Manwich
10-20-2008, 13:16
Just to save people some time, I went to the following stores with no avail:

Target : Only had the Ronco 5 mentioned above
Walmart : None
Home Depot : None
Linens n Things : None
Bed Bath and Beyond : None
Marshalls Home Goods : None
Le Gourmet Chef Outlet : None

Looks like i'll have to order it online, or pay 60% markup on one in a specialty store.

budforester
10-25-2008, 07:10
Looks like i'll have to order it online, or pay 60% markup on one in a specialty store.

Target and Walmart offer dehydrators in their online sales. I didn't check the others you mentioned. Some of the big retailers offer free shipping if you order and pick up at your local store.

rambunny
10-25-2008, 14:35
I've had about every model made,including oven and solar. Nothing beats The Excalibur. I got it for about 1/2 price on E-Bay. Someone had got it as a gift tried it once! If you have a local trade magazine (in Maine it's called Uncle Henry's, in Virginia Trader Times) Place an ad saying what you need. Good Luck

KarenM982
10-26-2008, 14:04
I also have the Nesco American Harvest dehydrator from Bed and Bath. It came with 1 fruit leather tray but you can get additional brand new ones very cheaply on ebay. It has 4 trays but can easily accomodate more. I got mine at B&B for $50.

Ramble~On
10-26-2008, 14:39
I have an American Harvest and use it a lot. It's paid for itself.
I used my first one to death and the newer one has the fan and heating element on the top.

I like beef jerky and this dehydrator works great.

The solid tray inserts are good for drying salsa and pasta sauces..
It's pretty simple to put together a dehydrated meal that weighs very little. Some boiling water and a good soak brings most dried foods back to life and they taste good.

A vacuum sealer and a dehydrator are a great pair of kitchen gadgits for backpackers.

sarbar
10-26-2008, 14:44
Parchment paper works great for thick liquids such as fruit leather :) Peels right off.

JERMM
10-26-2008, 17:57
I've been using the Excalibur 9 tray for about a year. It's great, fruit, veggies, fish, shrimp, leathers, whatever I want.

It's a more expensive than a lot of models out there, but IMO it's worth it.