PDA

View Full Version : good hike in NC

little bear
10-18-2008, 22:27
Hey guys im looking for a good 25-35 mile hike in NC or southern VA, to take my 55 yoa father, who has never done any backpacking. My thoughts were Davenport Gap to Hot Springs for about 34 miles or VA 603 to Damascus for about 40 miles. Anyone have any better trips, ones with great views and not to tough.

Thanks

LB

KG4FAM
10-18-2008, 22:37
The Roan

little bear
10-18-2008, 22:44
after going back and looking at it, I think Grayson Highlands to Damascus will be to long of a hike. The time frame we have is Nov 3 (starting to hike in the afternoon) and finishing up on Wed evening Nov 5 or early on the morning of Nov 6. was thinking about still doing VA 603 but to VA 859. I have hiked that area and am looking for maximum beauty for a first time hiker.

LB

Bulldawg
10-18-2008, 22:47
Roan

MoodyBluer
10-18-2008, 22:54
Roan

Got's to agree w/ Bulldawg...I went from Carver's Gap north to 19E in August and that was a spectacular hike. Several balds to cross and of course the famous Yellow Mtn Gap, home of the Overmountain Shelter and fantastic 360 degree views almost the entire way....

little bear
10-18-2008, 22:59
Got's to agree w/ Bulldawg...I went from Carver's Gap north to 19E in August and that was a spectacular hike. Several balds to cross and of course the famous Yellow Mtn Gap, home of the Overmountain Shelter and fantastic 360 degree views almost the entire way....

thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have; Roan Mnt, Round bald, Jane bald, Grassy Ridge Overmountain Shelter Little Hump and Hump Mnt. I think this what we might do. How is the parking at Hwy 19? Have they had any problems there? And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LB

tight-wad
10-18-2008, 23:17
thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, ... And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LB

Did that, plus all the way to Laurel Falls, over Labor Day. BEAUTIFUL! But, wear a hat!!! The sun on the Balds is intense.

Bob Peoples at Kincora.

tenlots
10-19-2008, 00:04
We just finished this section last Monday. Our car was at 19east at Mountain Harbor Bed and Breakfast. They will shuttle you and keep your car.

Tennessee Viking
10-19-2008, 00:45
thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have; Roan Mnt, Round bald, Jane bald, Grassy Ridge Overmountain Shelter Little Hump and Hump Mnt. I think this what we might do. How is the parking at Hwy 19? Have they had any problems there? And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LBRoan is pretty much a good induction for the trail. Its not too easy, but the views and terrian are enough to get anyone into hiking. Bring your camera. If this is going to be an upcoming hike, pack for warmth. The valleys are dipping into the high 30s. Roan will be below freezing.

And if you want to see some waterfalls, add another long day to two days with 19E to Dennis Cove.

There hasn't been too many incidents recently at 19E, but its still not a good idea to park there. So park at Mountain Harbour, and they will shuttle you to Carvers Gap or Cloudland. Be sure to call them ahead to reserve a shuttle. Last I heard, catalytic convertors and radios stolen last year or year before that at 19E. But my club is still having problems with a local that litters Bear Branch.

I was just researching some of my TEHCC's old newsletters about the that area. Really not shocked that north of 19E was nicknamed 'the Combat Zone.'

TOW
10-19-2008, 05:41
421 back to Damascus.........not that long and fairly easy........

bigcranky
10-19-2008, 07:51
thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have;
LB

Your father has never done any backpacking, you said in your original post. So, yes, it's "only 16 miles" but it's a pretty tough 16 miles for a beginning hiker. Take your time, don't rush the climbs, remember that it'll be getting dark early.

little bear
10-19-2008, 10:48
Your father has never done any backpacking, you said in your original post. So, yes, it's "only 16 miles" but it's a pretty tough 16 miles for a beginning hiker. Take your time, don't rush the climbs, remember that it'll be getting dark early.

looking at the map it does not look like the clibs are that bad, is the map just deceiving? it looks like the climb on the second day out of yellow gap and then the climb out of Bradley gap look to be the only two real climbs. I could be wrong so tell me if I am.:-? thanks again for the suggestions.

bigcranky
10-19-2008, 17:33
Are you starting at Hughes Gap? There's a stiff climb to get to the top of Roan to stay in the Roan High Knob shelter. If you are starting at Carver Gap it's not so bad, but it's still a fair amount of up and some long downhill sections.

little bear
10-19-2008, 17:49
Are you starting at Hughes Gap? There's a stiff climb to get to the top of Roan to stay in the Roan High Knob shelter. If you are starting at Carver Gap it's not so bad, but it's still a fair amount of up and some long downhill sections.

no starting from the cloudland site on top of the mountain. only go what like .8- 1 mile to the shelter the first night, because of having to drive up from eastern NC.

LB

Summit
10-19-2008, 18:35

LBThe parking area at 19E is notorious for car vandalism. Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel @ (866) 772-9494 (Terry). 1/3 of a mile left down 19E from the trail. He does shuttles. $15/night to stay in the very cozy hostel w/hot shower. $7 'to die for breakfast' and $2/day parking on private property (well protected).

Are you thinking of starting from the Roan High Bluff Road trailhead? I would concur that would be an awesome hike from there to 19E. I would not attempt starting a first hike for anyone up Roan from Hughes Gap Road. Ascending Roan NOBO kicked butt for me the other day. I enjoyed the difficulty and challenge, but would not be a good inaugural hiking experience. And yes, the climb out of Carver's Gap and the last bald - Hump Mt are difficult climbs but if you pace your dad he should be OK, given that you're not doing high mileage days.

I need to go back and do that section again myself because Roan summit and all of those balds were obscured in rain and/or fog for me this past Friday and yesterday. The valley at Overmountain Shelter did open up a couple of times and 'the barn' and that view is a must see.

little bear
10-19-2008, 18:51
The parking area at 19E is notorious for car vandalism. Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel @ (866) 772-9494 (Terry). 1/3 of a mile left down 19E from the trail. He does shuttles. $15/night to stay in the very cozy hostel w/hot shower. $7 'to die for breakfast' and $2/day parking on private property (well protected).

Are you thinking of starting from the Roan High Bluff Road trailhead? I would concur that would be an awesome hike from there to 19E. I would not attempt starting a first hike for anyone up Roan from Hughes Gap Road. Ascending Roan NOBO kicked butt for me the other day. I enjoyed the difficulty and challenge, but would not be a good inaugural hiking experience. And yes, the climb out of Carver's Gap and the last bald - Hump Mt are difficult climbs but if you pace your dad he should be OK, given that you're not doing high mileage days.

I need to go back and do that section again myself because Roan summit and all of those balds were obscured in rain and/or fog for me this past Friday and yesterday. The valley at Overmountain Shelter did open up a couple of times and 'the barn' and that view is a must see.

I have day hiked from Carvers Gap up to Round Bald, but dont remember it being a tough hike up, (not saying it is or isnt, just dont recall) so are you saying it will not be a good hike for a first timer, one who is 55 and in ok shape? and did you get my message about dinner on friday night?

LB

Summit
10-19-2008, 19:01
Just PM'd you back. Yep, dinner Friday night sounds fine and I responded that I think your hiking itinerary is a good one. The one out of Carver's Gap is long but not steep. Hump Mt is the toughest of the balds north of Carver's Gap. Wish I could join you guys as all of that was fogged in for me, but I don't have the vacation days left to take 3-4 days.

Reid
10-19-2008, 22:31
Art Loeb.

Tennessee Viking
10-20-2008, 01:26
The hardest thing about Carvers to 19E is the rough ridge drop to Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a quite a bit of putting on the brakes and stepping down. My club is working on it. We are in the process of building a series of switchbacks and better hillside trail.

Then maybe climbing out of Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a good climb if you are starting the day at the barn. The Hump is looks worse than it is. Only time it gets harsh is midday with the sun overheard, or during a hot summer day. Then if you have the luck of running into the steer on Houston Ridge.

MoodyBluer
10-20-2008, 10:00
The parking area at 19E is notorious for car vandalism. Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel @ (866) 772-9494 (Terry). 1/3 of a mile left down 19E from the trail. He does shuttles. $15/night to stay in the very cozy hostel w/hot shower. $7 'to die for breakfast' and $2/day parking on private property (well protected).

I think the climbs in this section going north are nice, slow slogs...not too strenuous...I have heard climbing Roan can be tough but I didn't think any of the climbs from Carver's to 19E were that bad at all, but I sure wouldn't want to climb Hump Mtn going south....long climb and long rock (in a few places boulder) fields.

MoodyBluer
10-20-2008, 10:02
The hardest thing about Carvers to 19E is the rough ridge drop to Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a quite a bit of putting on the brakes and stepping down. My club is working on it. We are in the process of building a series of switchbacks and better hillside trail.

Then maybe climbing out of Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a good climb if you are starting the day at the barn. The Hump is looks worse than it is. Only time it gets harsh is midday with the sun overheard, or during a hot summer day. Then if you have the luck of running into the steer on Houston Ridge.

Saw "evidence" of this steer all over the downhill from Hump mtn going north before the stile...:-)

little bear
10-20-2008, 10:50
just made reservations with Mnt Harbour B&B.....it is $70 for the shuttle to Roan Mnt, two hikers/ one night and 3 days parking......said the beds were $15 a person, $35 for shuttle to Roan and then $5 for the parking/3 days. cant wait to get out there with my old man, since he has never gone with me. Should be a nice father/son trip, and just before my son is born.:banana Thanks for the suggestion on the Roan trip.

LB

Bigglesworth
10-20-2008, 12:18
US19E North along the Elk River was very pretty and flat much of the way. Mountain Harbor B & B could also slackpack you that section, and they have a hostel and AMAZING breakfast (on 19E). Also, Mt. Rogers - Grayson Highlands are beautiful.

Tennessee Viking
10-21-2008, 01:21
just made reservations with Mnt Harbour B&B.....it is $70 for the shuttle to Roan Mnt, two hikers/ one night and 3 days parking......said the beds were $15 a person, $35 for shuttle to Roan and then $5 for the parking/3 days. cant wait to get out there with my old man, since he has never gone with me. Should be a nice father/son trip, and just before my son is born.:banana Thanks for the suggestion on the Roan trip.

LBIf you want to make it a gung ho father-son trip, try this:

If you get up to the Cloudland site in the morning or afternoon, do a quick trip over to the overlook at Roan High Bluff (30minutes). At Roan High Shelter, walk up to the large rock cropping in front of the shelter. The geomarker on top of the rocks indicates the Roan High Knob summit. After Roan High, cross the balds and take the Grassy Ridge trail at the split (30-45 minutes). Once you visit the plaque on the rock that faces the balds, you will have done all three 6000 peaks of Roan of the South Beyond 6000 Challenge.

little bear
10-21-2008, 07:16
If you want to make it a gung ho father-son trip, try this:

If you get up to the Cloudland site in the morning or afternoon, do a quick trip over to the overlook at Roan High Bluff (30minutes). At Roan High Shelter, walk up to the large rock cropping in front of the shelter. The geomarker on top of the rocks indicates the Roan High Knob summit. After Roan High, cross the balds and take the Grassy Ridge trail at the split (30-45 minutes). Once you visit the plaque on the rock that faces the balds, you will have done all three 6000 peaks of Roan of the South Beyond 6000 Challenge.

How is the water between Roan and Hwy 19, are the springs running good or is it dry up htere.

LB

e-doc
10-21-2008, 14:06
a little late but if he has never backpacked I go with something a little flatter. Roan is fine great place but big uphills (or downhills). Something in MRNRA using the AT and Iron Mt trails. Also Va 603 N on AT to Scales and back via Pine Mt trail and AT. AT Cross Mt to Damascus, or north at Va 42 to I-81. Also something in Shining Rock/Middle Prong or SNW. Tanawha trail from Beacon Heights to Cone Park.

Further west the Pine Mt trail or Cumberland Gap NHP ridge trail

KG4FAM
10-21-2008, 14:32

LB
She makes a very good breakfast if you have time for it.

mountain squid
11-04-2008, 18:30
Just saw little bear and Doc at Overmountain Shelter. The weather was great and they appeared to be doing well. Although, we didn't open it, they 'christened' the section of trail we were working on. It clouded up quickly as we left, so they may get some rain....(nice red sky right now...)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

little bear
11-07-2008, 21:06
Thanks to 33 Whiskey, Bulldawg, MoodyBluer and Buliwyf for recommending Roan Mnt area for my hike.

We got back home on thursday night and had the best hike I have done up until this point. Here is my trip report:

On Monday Nov 3 2008: We arrived at Mnt Harbour Hostel, with the intentions of being shuttled to Roan High Knob and then hiking the mile to the shelter, and start the trip on Tuesday morning. When we arrived Terry the owner of the hostel told us the road up to Roan was closed for the season. So after talking it over with my father we decided not to hike up Roan just to camp and then hike back down in the morning, so I made arrangements to stay at the ostel monday night and get the shuttle in the morning. So I took my father down to Elk falls and showed him them, and then drove up to Carvers Gap and hiked up to Round Bald and watched a great Sunset. Then we went back and checked out the hostel, which by the way is really nice.

Tuesday Nov 4, 2008: Terry dropped us off at Carvers Gap at 8:45 am. By 9:00 am we were starting the hike up Round Bald. The weather was fantastic, not a cloud in the sky. The climb up Jane Bald was nice and tuff, but we enjoyed it. We missed the side trail to Grassy Ridge, I was half way down to Stan Murry shelter when I realized it, and decided with my fathers first trip out there was no need to back track, when we were going to have great views from the Humps. The trail down to Stan Murry Shleter was muddy from the snow melt the area had had a week earlier. Once we past the shelter we ran into the Tennessse Eastman Trail Club doing so new trail location, and got to meet Crutch, Bob Peoples and Mountain Squid, and several others. The climb up and over Yellow Mnt was nice, and when I arrived at Overmountain Shelter I was floored by how pretty the views from the shelter were. It was about 1 pm when we arrived, and found water about 200 yards down the FS road on the right from a pipe spring. we cooked dinner and hung out at the shelter, playing spades. All in all I think my dad really enjoyed his first backpacking trip.

Wed Nov 5 2008: Awoke to a cloudy morning with no views from the shelter, but the temp was greast, it was around 45 - 50 degrees overnight, and we had the shelter to ourselves. We were on the trail by 8:30 am. The first climb once back on the AT, was tuff felt like straight uphill. Half way up th eclimb the clouds disappeared and we got a view of overmountain shelter. Once we climb up on to Little Hump the views were great. I took some video of the area and my fathers first trip. The climb down to Bradley Gap was nice, but didnt find the water at the Gap. My fatehr looked up at the climb up Hump Mnt and shook his head and said "I don't know about that", and I told him come on it your Mnt Everest. The climb up was tuff, but we made it. Once through the fence, we ran into the steer. They were right in the middle of the trail, and would not get out of our way. So my father took my dog and walked around them,as I stood watching them. One of the biggest steer I have ever seen jogged over to about with in 10 feet of me, and dropped his head and scuffed the ground with his foot and started to charge at me. I had already taken my little .22 cal pistol out of my waist pack and had it at my side, so when he made this act of aggrestion I fired 1 round into the ground, and he stopped and just watched me slowly back away from him. I have never been so scared on the trail before. (For those who dont think a gun is necessary on the trail, I beg to differ, because banging my hiking poles and yelling didnt scare him off as he was jogging torward me, right before the aggrestive stance he took.) Once we finished ourt climb up Hump Mnt we ran into 3 SOBO eating lunch and joined them, they were Griz, Earthworm and Superman. We ate lunch and told them we were finishing at Hwy 19 E and staying at Mnt Harbour Hostel and gave them our number, so if when they reached Carvers Gap they wanted a ride down to the hostel they could call me. The down hill was really rocky, but we sailed down and made it to Hwy 19 E by 3:45 pm. About an hour after being at the hostel we got a call from Earthworm, who asked if the offer was still good. So I went and picked the 3 of them up and we went back to the hostel and showered and went in to Boone and ate an all you can eat family style dinner at Danial Boone Inn. Them SOBO put away some food. We then went back to the hostel and hung out. In the morning on Thur Nov 6 I dropped them off at Carvers Gap.

I think this is the best hike I have done so far. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Little Bear

Summit
11-08-2008, 09:17
Wish I could have joined you and your dad. Definitely next time. As I mentioned on the phone the other night, you and your dad and me and my son would make an awesome foursome! Glad Mtn Harbour worked out well for you. Terry and Mary are very nice folks. We gotta do Mary's breakfast some time together, maybe the 'foursome' in the future! :)

the dragon
11-08-2008, 09:42
Thanks to 33 Whiskey, Bulldawg, MoodyBluer and Buliwyf for recommending Roan Mnt area for my hike.

We got back home on thursday night and had the best hike I have done up until this point. Here is my trip report:

On Monday Nov 3 2008: We arrived at Mnt Harbour Hostel, with the intentions of being shuttled to Roan High Knob and then hiking the mile to the shelter, and start the trip on Tuesday morning. When we arrived Terry the owner of the hostel told us the road up to Roan was closed for the season. So after talking it over with my father we decided not to hike up Roan just to camp and then hike back down in the morning, so I made arrangements to stay at the ostel monday night and get the shuttle in the morning. So I took my father down to Elk falls and showed him them, and then drove up to Carvers Gap and hiked up to Round Bald and watched a great Sunset. Then we went back and checked out the hostel, which by the way is really nice.

Tuesday Nov 4, 2008: Terry dropped us off at Carvers Gap at 8:45 am. By 9:00 am we were starting the hike up Round Bald. The weather was fantastic, not a cloud in the sky. The climb up Jane Bald was nice and tuff, but we enjoyed it. We missed the side trail to Grassy Ridge, I was half way down to Stan Murry shelter when I realized it, and decided with my fathers first trip out there was no need to back track, when we were going to have great views from the Humps. The trail down to Stan Murry Shleter was muddy from the snow melt the area had had a week earlier. Once we past the shelter we ran into the Tennessse Eastman Trail Club doing so new trail location, and got to meet Crutch, Bob Peoples and Mountain Squid, and several others. The climb up and over Yellow Mnt was nice, and when I arrived at Overmountain Shelter I was floored by how pretty the views from the shelter were. It was about 1 pm when we arrived, and found water about 200 yards down the FS road on the right from a pipe spring. we cooked dinner and hung out at the shelter, playing spades. All in all I think my dad really enjoyed his first backpacking trip.

Wed Nov 5 2008: Awoke to a cloudy morning with no views from the shelter, but the temp was greast, it was around 45 - 50 degrees overnight, and we had the shelter to ourselves. We were on the trail by 8:30 am. The first climb once back on the AT, was tuff felt like straight uphill. Half way up th eclimb the clouds disappeared and we got a view of overmountain shelter. Once we climb up on to Little Hump the views were great. I took some video of the area and my fathers first trip. The climb down to Bradley Gap was nice, but didnt find the water at the Gap. My fatehr looked up at the climb up Hump Mnt and shook his head and said "I don't know about that", and I told him come on it your Mnt Everest. The climb up was tuff, but we made it. Once through the fence, we ran into the steer. They were right in the middle of the trail, and would not get out of our way. So my father took my dog and walked around them,as I stood watching them. One of the biggest steer I have ever seen jogged over to about with in 10 feet of me, and dropped his head and scuffed the ground with his foot and started to charge at me. I had already taken my little .22 cal pistol out of my waist pack and had it at my side, so when he made this act of aggrestion I fired 1 round into the ground, and he stopped and just watched me slowly back away from him. I have never been so scared on the trail before. (For those who dont think a gun is necessary on the trail, I beg to differ, because banging my hiking poles and yelling didnt scare him off as he was jogging torward me, right before the aggrestive stance he took.) Once we finished ourt climb up Hump Mnt we ran into 3 SOBO eating lunch and joined them, they were Griz, Earthworm and Superman. We ate lunch and told them we were finishing at Hwy 19 E and staying at Mnt Harbour Hostel and gave them our number, so if when they reached Carvers Gap they wanted a ride down to the hostel they could call me. The down hill was really rocky, but we sailed down and made it to Hwy 19 E by 3:45 pm. About an hour after being at the hostel we got a call from Earthworm, who asked if the offer was still good. So I went and picked the 3 of them up and we went back to the hostel and showered and went in to Boone and ate an all you can eat family style dinner at Danial Boone Inn. Them SOBO put away some food. We then went back to the hostel and hung out. In the morning on Thur Nov 6 I dropped them off at Carvers Gap.

I think this is the best hike I have done so far. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Little Bear

I'm glad to hear that this was a good hike. I am doing the section from Hughes gap to 19E next week. (It was supposed to be this week, Nov. 13-15, but it looks like it may be raining. The jury is still out on whether we should postpone or not.)

By the way, I graduated with your brother Ian. I vaguely remember you as well. It's good to see someone from my hometown doing well and enjoying the trail.

little bear
11-08-2008, 11:28
I'm glad to hear that this was a good hike. I am doing the section from Hughes gap to 19E next week. (It was supposed to be this week, Nov. 13-15, but it looks like it may be raining. The jury is still out on whether we should postpone or not.)

By the way, I graduated with your brother Ian. I vaguely remember you as well. It's good to see someone from my hometown doing well and enjoying the trail.

yeah I would push the hike back to days when it will be nice....that section is so pretty, and you would hate to have rain and fog and not see any of the views.

A.T. Hiker
11-08-2008, 11:51
Try the A.T. outside of Franklin Standing Indian Basin. Park at the back country information area take the Long Branch trail to the A.T. then to Big Spring gap. Then from Big Spring to Carter gap and from Carter gap to Standing Indian Mt. Spend the night on top of the mt not at the shelter and then take Lower Ridge trail from top of Mt back to your car. Its a great three night hike for beginners Albert mt is tough but the view is rewarding.

A.T. Hiker
11-08-2008, 12:09
Try Standing Indian Basin outside of Franklin N.C. Park at the backcountry information center and take the Long Branch Trail to the AT then on to Big Spring Gap. Then Big Spring Gap to Carters Gap then Carters Gap to Standing Indian Mt. Spend the night on the Mt and the next morning take the Lower ridge trail back to your car. A great 3 night hike not to difficult but chalenging Albert mt is tough but the climb is short and the view great. Best part is no shuttle you can hike for 4 days and come right back to your car.

A.T. Hiker
11-08-2008, 12:11
Sorry I did not think my first post went through so I posted again.

little bear
11-08-2008, 13:14
Try Standing Indian Basin outside of Franklin N.C. Park at the backcountry information center and take the Long Branch Trail to the AT then on to Big Spring Gap. Then Big Spring Gap to Carters Gap then Carters Gap to Standing Indian Mt. Spend the night on the Mt and the next morning take the Lower ridge trail back to your car. A great 3 night hike not to difficult but chalenging Albert mt is tough but the climb is short and the view great. Best part is no shuttle you can hike for 4 days and come right back to your car.

i have already done that section, and we decided on Roan, and am glad cause that was a great hike.