PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Hiking Partner

hotspur147
10-18-2008, 22:37
I am anxious to get underway! Will probably be leaving March 1 but could be talked into an earlier departure date from Springer. I tried several years ago to thru hike but left the trail after 500 miles: my girlfriend at the time wanted to see home! I will probably be hiking with my dog Jenny -- if I can only get her to wear her backpack..... I can be also contacted at [email protected]

DapperD
10-19-2008, 16:24
I am anxious to get underway! Will probably be leaving March 1 but could be talked into an earlier departure date from Springer. I tried several years ago to thru hike but left the trail after 500 miles: my girlfriend at the time wanted to see home! I will probably be hiking with my dog Jenny -- if I can only get her to wear her backpack..... I can be also contacted at [email protected] think you would do better finding a partner by leaving the dog at home IMHO. I believe dogs can't be brought into the big parks like GSMNP and SNP. You will have to have someone pick up the dog and return it to you once you hike through these areas. Also resupplying with a dog must be quite a memorable experience! And from what I have read, dogs at shelters can create major rifts with other hiker's.

hotspur147
10-19-2008, 19:34
Yes, Dapper, I am leaving the dog with my dad. I have been talked into it. Actually, the pitched battle she had today with a racoon sealed the deal. She was fortunate, as neither she nor the dog suffered injury. Thanks again for your response.

KG4FAM
10-19-2008, 19:48
I think you would do better finding a partner by leaving the dog at home IMHO. I believe dogs can't be brought into the big parks like GSMNP and SNP. You will have to have someone pick up the dog and return it to you once you hike through these areas. Also resupplying with a dog must be quite a memorable experience! And from what I have read, dogs at shelters can create major rifts with other hiker's.
No dogs in GSMNP or Baxter Park. Dogs are allowed in SNP.