PDA

View Full Version : How much photo gear do you carry?

key
10-19-2008, 01:09
How much camera gear do you carry on long thru-hikes?

rafe
10-19-2008, 10:13
I carried a Ricoh 35 mm SLR back in the old days. "Graduated" to ever-smaller point and shoot digital cameras over the years.

Lyle
10-19-2008, 10:38
Depends on when, where, and for how long. Most extended hikes, I now carry a point and shoot and a small gorilla tripod. Have recently upgraded to a small, relatively inexpensive dSLR with a short zoom lens, won't be a financial disaster if it gets damaged, so will probably carry this more often now.

In the past I have hiked with no camera (never again), disposable (never again), film SLR with short zoom lens (heavy, but GREAT slides), and point and shoot film.

Am I fickle?

camojack
10-19-2008, 14:42
I use a nice, compact Vivitar digital...you can see the results in my gallery.

Any blurry ones are due to unsteady hands or having it on the closeup setting...

bigcranky
10-19-2008, 17:30
Good point and shoot with manual controls (Canon G7), gorillapod, stick pic, polarizing filter, spare battery and card. On any hike longer than a week, add the battery charger.

Jim Adams
10-19-2008, 17:41
1990-carried 2 SLR (1 w/ chrome, 1 w/B&W), a 28mm,50mm, 85mm,135mm and a straight 200mm, small flash, shutter release cable and small tripod plus 4 rolls of each film between maildrops. I shot 16,000 frames on that year long trip and about 11,000 of them were on the AT. I might add that I didn't have to pay for film.

2002-zoom capable point and shoot with print film. I shot 840 frames.

2007-PCT- small tripod and a very versatile digital. I shot 380 frames south of Kennedy Meadows and 2,600 frames from Kennedy to Yosemite.

I carried WAAAYYYYY too much gear for a thru in 1990 but just enough for a great photo trip. I still can't get over some of the shots that I got and I have a degree in photography.

I say...carry what you need to get the shots that you want. Some may say that the gear is too heavy and too much bulk but, if you are a photographer, it is worth it. Lug the gear and get the shot instead of sitting home later and saying "you should have seen this!" My next hike I'm going back to film...far more latitude working the shot.

geek

taildragger
10-19-2008, 20:15
I found that if I carried my DSLR I took fewer pictures than if I take my G9, so I mainly take the G9, will take the DSLR or SLR on shorter more photo intense trips.

Bob S
10-19-2008, 21:12
I use to have a Minolta X-700 SLR with several lens from 28 to 400 mm, a flasy and a slave flash, motor drive. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Then I bought a Sony digital when they first came out (the size of a thick Tom Clancy paperback book) it was heavy, ran on a special battery ($50.00 to $70.00 to replace) it took great pictures, but it eat batteries like a kid eats candy. It also needed a battery specific charger to recharge batts.<o:p></o:p>
Now I have a point & shoot digital that has a 6-X optical zoom and 10 digital zoom and internal flash. It takes more pictures off 2 AA alkaline batteries then the Sony did with it’s $70.00 battery. <o:p></o:p>
I found I was not always taking the Minolta or the Sony with me as they were big and heavy. With the newest camera I take it all the time. It fits in my shirt pocket. Yea it doesn’t take the quality pictures the Minolta did, but it is with me a lot more then the Minolta was. <o:p></o:p>
Now I try to make sure all my electronics run off the same kind of batteries so I can keep going easily when away from electricity.

Footslogger
10-20-2008, 09:06
About a 4 ounce 8 Mpixel Cannon point-n-shoot and a tiny (sub 2ounce) tripod. Camera works on 2 - AA batteries so I carry an extra set of AA's on long hikes.

'Slogger

Wise Old Owl
10-21-2008, 23:15
I am on my third digital point & shoot and as luck has it I have tried several different name brands. Fuji & Olympus work best for me, the new models have an adaquate anti shake for you caffiene lovers. I drilled a hole in the top of one of my hiking sticks & glued in a headless bolt to make a mono pod. One of the digital P&S to avoid is the Kodak, the software is downright inconvienent when trying to open for editing.

Bob S
10-21-2008, 23:48
I have a point & shoot Fuji and the software with it is super easy to use. Just plug the camera into the USB cable and it transfers over to the hard drive in seconds.

rafe
10-22-2008, 07:50
I have a point & shoot Fuji and the software with it is super easy to use. Just plug the camera into the USB cable and it transfers over to the hard drive in seconds.

This is the norm nowadays. Cameras use the USB Mass Storage Class driver, and appear as a hard drive when connected via USB. In Windows (and probably in Macs also) the USB Mass Storage class driver is part of the operating system. Bottom line, if you have your own favorite image editing/viewing software, there's no need for camera-specific drivers at all.

Cabin Fever
10-22-2008, 12:08
I, like most, carry a point and shoot digital camera and download the pictures to my computer. I like to use Picasa by Google because it's so darn easy and you can upload to web albums for free instead of sending 10 emails with two pictures each.

As for tripods, I highly recommend Gorillapods or knockoffs. Perfect for hiking and pretty light. http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/original/

You can get them for next to nothing on eBay.

superman
10-22-2008, 12:29
I had two film cameras on my thru and both died due to moisture. Now I carry a water proof olympus. I'm not a camera nut. I still haven't developed all the film from the PCT. Pat hauls many boxes of pictures around. She takes pictures of everything. I never go back and look at old pictures. I like the digital because I can delete the bad pictures or the ones I don't care about...which is most of them. The best vistas I ever saw I had no camera or interest in being a photograper. I think I have a camera because I'm supposed to.:-?

JaxHiker
10-22-2008, 14:21
My waterproof Olympus (850 SW) is an utter POS. Even at ISO 400 the images are like 40 grit sandpaper. I should've taken it back but now it's too late. :(

superman
10-22-2008, 14:36
My waterproof Olympus (850 SW) is an utter POS. Even at ISO 400 the images are like 40 grit sandpaper. I should've taken it back but now it's too late. :(

Mine is the Olympus stylus 850 sw 8 mp . I think it's the same camera.
I accidently tested the water proof feature in Sweden. It seems to take good pictures so far. All those features are wasted on me but the people that I give it to to take pictures for me seem to like them.

Yukon
10-22-2008, 15:06
I carry a nice little point and shoot with me, just picked up a new one actually. Got a Panasonic Lumix TZ-4 with the Leica lens, works fantastic!

Bob S
10-22-2008, 15:17
This is the norm nowadays. Cameras use the USB Mass Storage Class driver, and appear as a hard drive when connected via USB. In Windows (and probably in Macs also) the USB Mass Storage class driver is part of the operating system. Bottom line, if you have your own favorite image editing/viewing software, there's no need for camera-specific drivers at all.

I do use the camera specific software and it does it all. I plug it in and turn the camera on and it’s all transferred to a folder with the date of transfer and then it wipes the memory card clean (I checked the box to clean the card and it remembers to do it every time.)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
A window then opens up a picture editor if I want to use it if not I just close out the window.
I have several USB devices and have an understanding how they work, and I am very familiar as to how to transfer files (I started with DOS and have a good idea how it works.) But it’s still nice to have Fuji’s software kick in and do it whenever I plug the camera in to the computer

camojack
10-22-2008, 21:30
OMG! That would make me normal. Heaven forfend!!! :D

I just plug the USB cable into my camera and use it as a disk drive, too...it works just fine. :)

Press
10-22-2008, 21:49
I prefer a camera I can keep in my pants pocket that is easy to pull out and use, in case a bear or other interesting critter shows up.

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2008, 22:08

That was interesting....

Ok for a moment let's think this through...

1. Have you read the instructions?

2. When you think you shoud "Click" a picture - DONT.

3. My understanding is that is is a two posision switch a slow squeeze engages the light computer and after a second complete the down stroke. see if that makes a difference.

4 . go back and read the instructions.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1365

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/oops.jpg

RedDogPatch
10-22-2008, 22:30
I prefer the Sony DSC-P200. With the spare battery pack and, the memory stick case filled, it's small, light weight size makes it easy to use. This camera has been to numerous Africa locations the last several years and, passed all of my requirements quite nicely~
With the top resolution of 7.2Mhz pixels available, together with the Picasa 3 program.
I can insert the memory stick, download the pictures to the laptop (Toshiba P205-S6267) with the greatest of ease.
If I came upon a bear, the only additional feature I would like to have is... the anti-shakes built in..lol

Lyle
10-23-2008, 07:11
That was interesting....

Ok for a moment let's think this through...

1. Have you read the instructions?

2. When you think you shoud "Click" a picture - DONT.

3. My understanding is that is is a two posision switch a slow squeeze engages the light computer and after a second complete the down stroke. see if that makes a difference.

4 . go back and read the instructions.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1365

I have an Olympus Stylus 600. I was very disappointed in the photo quality. Some shots were ok, but there is very little consistency in focus. The pictures are quite noisy compared to other digitals I've used, even much cheaper ones.

I have replaced my Olympus with a Canon A590 IS. Haven't had it out on the trail yet, but I'm much happier with it around home and on day hikes. I have also used a couple of Fujifilms, a Nikon FM2 and a Nikon D40 all with great results (at least I'm happy with them :D) so I do attribute the poor photo quality from the Olympus to the camera.

Homer&Marje
10-23-2008, 08:15
Just purchased a miniature digital camera, have yet to try it on the trail but it weighs 1.5 oz with a AAA battery inside. It can hold a variety of numbers of pictures, explained like so

Compressed file folder or Uncompressed file folder
High resolution or Low resolution.

On high resolution in uncompressed folder = 20 pictures
On high resolution in compressed folder = 60 pictures
On low resolution in uncompressed folder = 81 pictures
On low resolution in compressed folder = 243

I have not had it on the trail, but in the back yard it works great. I find the best setting is the 60 pictures mode. If you keep the camera steady the shot comes out really good. It has a little plastic magnifier on the upper left corner that is raised as a view finder. Attaches to the computer via usb port and downloads right to your hard drive. Great little find for 10 bucks. Longer hikes I will definitely bring my regular camera, but for short hikes...this little guy has taken the cake.

Walk On Boy
12-30-2008, 16:28
Being an amateur photographer, is it possible to take decent night shots (assuming adjustable shutter speed is the option) with a relatively light Nikon or Canon digital camera that's not SLR? I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix P6000. Of course I want to go light, but I am willing to sacrifice for better pictures. I'm starting my PCT thru-hike in April and I want to experiment. Any advice?

Walk On Boy
12-30-2008, 16:29
By the way, I not only want to take night shots, but I couldn't do that on the AT with the camera I had and I want to expand my ability.

bigcranky
12-30-2008, 21:41
You might look at this comparison:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pocket-battleships.shtml

Plodderman
12-30-2008, 21:44
Small camera and that's about it.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2008, 22:27
I have an Olympus XA shirt pocket 35mm camera which I carried for years and takes great pictures. I started out with this camera last spring on my long section hike, but got envious of everyone with digital cameras taking pictures of everything and anything, while I had to be very selective about using up my 36 shots. So, I ended up buying a cheap "Digital Concepts" 4.1 meg pixel camera for 50 bucks at Walgreens in Erwin and it turned out to work pretty well for a low end, no frills unit - and has amazingly long battery life since its so simple. And I won't get too upset if it breaks or gets lost.

Gaiter
12-30-2008, 22:39
first section i carried a old digital (for some reason i wasn't trusted to carry a decent camera) and i'm not sure if i started w/ that or started w/ disposables... the better pictures came from the disposables.

2nd section i had my own nikon point and shoot which got some amazing pics especially close ups (too bad i stepped on it getting out of my tent at this past trail daze)

really if you don't have the money for a digital camera the disposables are the way to go... they are cheap and you can mail the camera home to be developed on to a cd

Gaiter
12-30-2008, 23:09
oh and i thought i would be all cool on my 2nd section and turn my leki poles into a monopod.... but one quick trip on some slippery rocks (go figure they had some in pa) and a nice gash into my hand, and i no longer had a monopod

BitBucket
12-30-2008, 23:26
Olympus Stylus 850SW for me, 8MP...seems to take good pictures...resists water/shock well

My old HP R717 shorted out after sitting in the waterproof pocket of my Marmot Precip jacket during a 2007 hike from Springer to Neel(s) Gap...I decided I needed something more water resistant..

Grampie
12-31-2008, 11:59
On my thru I just used a simple disposable camera. When it was full, I sent it home and brought a new one. I used about 12 of them on my hike. I consider the pictures that I took good. My wife got the pictures developed and was able to show friends and family them as I hiked along.
The one problem was that she didn't keep them in order, so it was difficult to remember where they were all from.

Red Hat
12-31-2008, 12:35
Just a point and shoot for me, but I WONT count on using a cell phone camera any more. The photos were really aweful. I had to borrow my buddies pics of me on Katahdin.

volleypc
01-21-2009, 14:45
I would not consider myself a pro, but I have a nice SLR with several lenses. I was convinced I was going to take my gear, filters, etc. I started putting it all together to see just how much room it was going to take and I realized it just was not a realistic idea for me. There are several mega zoom point and shoots now that serve as viable alternatives. The panasonic FZ28 is the one I went with. The Canon SX10 is also another alternative by slightly heavier. Both of these cameras have wide angle capabilities and zoom ranges roughly 460-540mm. I did buy a micro lens adapter as well. I am also going with the medium size gorilla joby tripod.

Live the Journey
01-21-2009, 16:31
I just got a Olympus Stylus 1030SW for my birthday. It's highly water, shock and temp resistant, and takes great pictures! I've also got a tiny tripod that I velcro onto my trekking pole to ease in those self timer pictures that we all know and love.

Good thing I've got this camera, I was taking pictures in the snow yesterday and I accidentally dropped it right in sludge, stepped on it and it recovered without missing a beat!

Ramble~On
01-22-2009, 00:10
How much gear to carry on longer thru hikes ?
As little as possible.

Shorter thru hikes like the Foothills Trail I'll carry a tripod and an DSLR...same for multi day hikes.

In 1996 I didn't bother starting with a camera as all that I had at the time were too heavy and valuable...I ended up getting a 110 (anybody even rememeber 110's :eek:). I did much better with 35mm disps.

I plan to hike again this year and will bounce box a Lumix DSLR and Gorilla Pod along for the spots I know I want to get.
For the rest of the trail I want to get people - to remember my hike and I'm sure that others will tell you that no photograph will do justice to the scenery of your hike..and over time the landscape shots won't mean as much as the people that you hiked with will..
That being said...I'm more in to capturing people I meet along the way. shelters and things like that...I don't see the need to carry a lot of gear for that or to risk getting valuable gear damaged.
- Though if you plan to put out a table top photo essay of your hike when you're done than carrying a couple pounds and $$$ worth of gear might be worth it.

In 09 I'm carrying a Canon A590 IS . Plenty enough camera for what I want - Manual controls, small, light, 8 MP and if it dies a horrid death I won't be at a serious loss.