PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered items

2009ThruHiker
10-19-2008, 15:45
Did you use rechargeable batteries for your camera and other items, or just buy them when needed? Thoughts please. I'm thinking a charger is extra weight. If i bump it and even use it only periodically to offset battery purchases, it will still become a major inconvenience to take the bump box back to where i may be staying until the batteries are charged so that i can then seal the box, return it to the post office, etc....

Manwich
10-19-2008, 17:14
Batteries are available practically anywhere. To use a charger requires direct sunlight, when you're moving, you've got not-so-much. If you're chilling for a day, you have to leave it in a spot with sunlight (and you might take your eye off of it,)

Just carry a set of spares for each thing. If you camera uses AAs, and so does your headlamp... you can use the "dead" batteries from the Camera for many more hours in the headlamp (the camera has a voltage threshhold wherein it will stop operating to prevent seizure, but in reality can be used in headlamps, or at home in remote controls)

Manwich
10-19-2008, 17:18
To use a charger requires direct sunlight

i just realized you're contemplating using a plug-in charger. still kinda a dumb idea. far simpler to buy a 36-bulk-pack of batteries and bump those.

Wise Old Owl
10-19-2008, 17:37
The latest Energizer Chargers are in the just an ounce or two. My experience is the rechargables are lightweight but discharge faster. They have been improved over the years, but you would need to plug in for three to four hours every opportunity.

Most Hikers carry light lithium or multipack alkaline. I put mine in a ultra light medicine bottle with cotton to keep them from accidentally discharging/leaking and also to keep them quiet.

smaaax
10-19-2008, 17:43
I used alkalines, they worked for around 150 pictures for each set (no flash). This was far longer than a friend with his integrated battery. He had to charge it at every stop. A couple times a friend bought lithiums on the trail, and they were dead on purchase. Too late to return when they found out. Alkalines worked great for me, even in the cold (warm them up if it is significantly below freezing).

WalkingStick75
10-19-2008, 17:44
On the AT buy as needed. I have made and used my own solar charger from a solar yard light on a trip to the Alps this last year. Worked great 3oz for the charger plus the batteries. Probably would not work on the AT due to being in the trees more often then not.