PDA

View Full Version : Maildrop to Williamstown or North Adams, MA?

mikec
10-19-2008, 17:48
The companion isn't really clear on this. It looks like Williamstown is 2.8 miles west of the trail and has more related services. North Adams is 2.9 and appears to have less services. I'm planning on starting a section hike from North Adams to Katahdin next year and need opinions on which town is best to get a motel room the night before, have a good meal and hit the post office before I start. Thanks in advance.

Quoddy
10-19-2008, 18:14
Unless you need to go to The Mountain Goat for hiking gear, almost everything you need is easier to find and less expensive in North Adams. Williamstown is an upscale and quite expensive place to stay. The AT runs right through North Adams and the central portion of Williamstown is a couple of miles away. Unfortunately the post office in North Adams is as far away (East) as the one in Willliamstown is (West). I live in the first town west of Williamstown and know the area well. Check with me before you set things up. If I'm not gone on an extended hike somewhere I'll try to help you on this end.

Kirby
10-19-2008, 18:40
At that road crossing, there is a super stop and shop less than a mile off trail. No need for a mail drop.

Kirby

CrumbSnatcher
10-19-2008, 20:30
At that road crossing, there is a super stop and shop less than a mile off trail. No need for a mail drop.

Kirbyi would go with kirby on this one,personally id take a good grocery store over a maildrop anyday.

A-Train
10-19-2008, 21:34
The supermarket Kirby speaks of is .2 miles from the trail, a few minute walk. There is a motel right near there (Redwood Motel) which I believe is still open. There are a few restaurants that are spread out a bit.

If it were me, I'd avoid Williamstown, a yuppy college town with expensive shops, but I'm but a poor grad student. Your budget may allow for more.

sasquatch2014
10-19-2008, 21:36
Why not do the mail drops before you start your section? Then all you need is the Motel the night before.

attroll
10-19-2008, 22:01
It is exactly 1.0 miles from the Super Stop Shop to the trail head.

The Redwood Motel is still upon and under new management this coming year. The prices are going to be $79S, $99D and they also accept mail drops. You could stay here and get you mail drop too. The Redwood is pretty much across the street and next door to the Super Stop Shop.

There is a Howard Johnson a little further east that has the price of $69-119.

mikec
10-20-2008, 09:49
Thanks much for the suggestions. Looks like I'll either maildrop to the Redwood or do the grocery store. This will be my last section. I started in 1995. Hopefully, I'll see some of you on the trail in 2009 between North Adams and Katahdin in June, July and some of August.

Kirby
10-20-2008, 17:44
The grocery store is great, has everything you could need, and the prices are decent for that area of MA.

Kirby

CrumbSnatcher
10-20-2008, 17:59
Thanks much for the suggestions. Looks like I'll either maildrop to the Redwood or do the grocery store. This will be my last section. I started in 1995. Hopefully, I'll see some of you on the trail in 2009 between North Adams and Katahdin in June, July and some of August.
have a great time, and congrats on your completion of the trail!:banana

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2008, 15:04
Having walked it many times, I can safely assert that the Super Stop & Shop supermarket is NOT "exactly 1.0 miles" from the Trailhead at the Rt 2 crossing.

I think .3 or .4 is probably more like it.

In any case, it's just a few minutes walk. Unless hikers require overnight lodging or an Outfitter's shop, a quick visit to the Stop & Shop should be all that most hikers need here.

lonehiker
10-21-2008, 15:10
If I remember correctly, it took me right at 10 minutes to walk to the motel which is just across the street from the store.

Kirby
10-21-2008, 15:47
The store is great, the doughnuts I bought hit the spot.

Seriously, to and from the grocery store along with resupply will take you about an hour or two.

Kirby

Chaco Taco
10-21-2008, 17:05
Also there is a bus system that will take you around Williamstown. We hung out at the Co-op grocery and got an invite to the dorms to clean up. Great little town, PO is right near campus. Camped in a great spot behind The goat.

garlic08
10-21-2008, 19:30
I spent the night at the Redwood Motel and it wasn't the greatest deal. Don't expect much for the money, really bare bones. The grocery across the street is fine for a resupply, as everyone has said. There's also a fine Italian restaurant right next to the grocery. The only disappointment in town was the motel, I thought. Everything was a short walk.

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2008, 19:38
Another overnight option, especially for the budget-minded, is to camp for free (after getting permission) behind the Mountain Goat in Williamstown. Other benefits of staying in town are bookshops, coffeeshops, restaurants, theaters, museums, and the best public Internet facilities anywhere near the Trail. Unless one is looking to stay in a motel, I think most folks prefer Williamstown to North Adams.

A-Train
10-21-2008, 23:11
Having walked it many times, I can safely assert that the Super Stop & Shop supermarket is NOT "exactly 1.0 miles" from the Trailhead at the Rt 2 crossing.

In any case, it's just a few minutes walk. Unless hikers require overnight lodging or an Outfitter's shop, a quick visit to the Stop & Shop should be all that most hikers need here.

Agreed. I didn't feel like starting a cyber-fight, but it ain't a mile.

attroll
10-22-2008, 01:23

Jack I stand corrected. I just looked through my notes from last week when I was in Williamstown and it is 0.5 from the trail head to the left turn into the Super Stop Shop.