PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad / chair

ronniedee
10-19-2008, 18:47
I'm currently packing a Z-Rest, but want to get a new pad that will allow me to use one of the camp chairs. Can anyone give a recommendation? Here are some criteria that are important to me:
-compatible with a camp chair
-small pack size/weight (I'm really focusing on getting my pack smaller and LIGHTER)
-Able to withstand AT weather conditions early Spring through late Fall.

Right now, I'm looking at Thermarest Prolite 3 or 4 and Thermarest chair.

Summit
10-19-2008, 19:13
That will work but if you want more comfort, look into the Big Agnes Air Core or Dual Core mattresses and the chair they make to go with it (although I'm using my BA mattress in my ThermaRest chair as I already had the chair which I used with a thermaRest pad for years - it works!).

All the BA pads pack smaller than the ThermaRest pads and you can go lighter if you go with the higher temp rating ones (less insulated). But I have the 0* Dual Core pad, a little heavy, but I love it as I typically just drape my sleeping bag over me and can lie directly on the pad in a T-shirt and it's very warm even down into the 20s.

buz
10-20-2008, 09:24
For me, a side sleeper only, not big 6' 170#, a TR has to be minimum 1.5 inches thick or my hip hits the ground. Even the pro 4, a nice mat, doesn't really work for me, because at full inflation, the thing barely keeps my hip off the ground, and the "safety margin" is too thin for me. I have an older, top of the line 2" thick TR which works great, but is heavy. I bought a BA this year and really like it. Packs small is a bonus. I also had a TR chair kit for 20" size, and the BA does work in it, just not as nice as the TR, but fine. Used it this weekend.

Summit
10-20-2008, 21:07
Also, I have found that if you're finding it a pain getting the BA mattress in the ThermaRest chair, it's because you've (I've) got too much air in it. About half inflated works best and the pad slips right in easily. You want just enough air in the mattress that your butt doesn't 'bottom out' when you sit in the chair! :)

buz
10-21-2008, 15:05
Nah, Summit I know you have to have the "right" amount of air in them to fit into the sleeve, thanks. The BA just kind of gaps out in the middle of the L on my chair, even with just enough air in it. But it works, no doubt.