PDA

View Full Version : lost my dog near Roan Mtn, NC

puravida
10-20-2008, 10:26
yesterday, 10/18/08, i was hiking between yellow mountain gap and carvers gap and lost my dog! she was hiking beside us all day, and around 5 pm she just darted off in the woods and never came back. this was after the stan murray (i think this is the name) shelter and before the balds. i called for 2 hours and hiked back about a half a mile, but she never came. she is white and has a black spot over one eye, and a few other spots as well. she is about 35 lbs and very friendly. she is no specific breed, we think a whippitt, pitt bull, dalmation mix. she has very little fur so if you find her please snuggle with her and call me! her name is PRANA and my name is Lis and my number is 919 632 1441. please pass this on and let me know if you see or hear anything of this small sweet white dog. she is very missed in my home and heart!!

Cabin Fever
10-20-2008, 10:28
TEHCC (including myself) will be doing trail maintenance in that area this weekend. We will be on the lookout and let you know if we find her.

Tipi Walter
10-20-2008, 10:29
You may want to contact the local forest district/ranger office and also put flyers up around trailheads and along nearby roads. I hope you find her.

Gray Blazer
10-20-2008, 10:38
If you can (it may be too late now) put one of your shirts with your scent on it and leave it where your dog took off. She may come back looking for you and find the shirt and wait there.

I keep my dog on a leash the whole time I am out in the woods. I have heard this story before that even the best dog may take off after a deer or something and you'll never see him/her again. I hope you find your dog.

burger
10-20-2008, 10:41
I'm really sorry that you lost your dog, and I hope you her. But let's take this opportunity to do other dog owners and hikers some good and remind everyone to KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH when hiking! It's safer for your dog (no chance of getting lost), safer for the wildlife (no animals get eaten or attacked), and better for other hikers (some of whom are afraid of dogs, even well-behaved dogs).

Tipi Walter
10-20-2008, 10:57
I'm really sorry that you lost your dog, and I hope you her. But let's take this opportunity to do other dog owners and hikers some good and remind everyone to KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH when hiking! It's safer for your dog (no chance of getting lost), safer for the wildlife (no animals get eaten or attacked), and better for other hikers (some of whom are afraid of dogs, even well-behaved dogs).

Keeping my dog on a permanent leash would be impossible on the trails I hike. We'd both probably fall to our deaths, etc. This seems to work(but every dog is different): Put a loaded dog pack on your dog and keep him unleashed, he'll tend not to run as far or as fast and associates the pack with your "area of operations". But all dogs are different. The attached-leash idea would turn my long backpacking trips into a nightmare of lock-up, claustrophobia and frustrated cursing entanglement. Not recommended! Burger's post sounds like a forest service admonition supported by the anti-dog crowd. The reality of backpacking with a dog is this: keep separate.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-20-2008, 11:16
I hope you are reunited

superman
10-20-2008, 11:45
Good luck finding your dog.

RiverWarriorPJ
10-20-2008, 13:02
..Well said Tipi & good luck Lis.....any pix of the pup 2 post here.....

Cabin Fever
10-20-2008, 13:10
Info was forwarded to Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy who manage much of this area.

burger
10-20-2008, 13:12
Keeping my dog on a permanent leash would be impossible on the trails I hike. We'd both probably fall to our deaths, etc.
On the AT it's absolutely possible and safe to keep your dog on a leash almost every step of the way. For the few sections of trail where a leash would get in the way (Mahoosuc Notch, etc.), people will understand. Otherwise, leash 'em!

Cuffs
10-20-2008, 13:14
Reminder, this is just a man looking for his dog. If you have any other conversations to debate about how to/not to handle your dog on the trail, please start your own thread in the appropriate area.

little bear
10-20-2008, 13:37
i will be up in that area on Monday Nov 3 I will look for him.

SouthMark
10-20-2008, 13:47
Reminder, this is just a man looking for his dog. If you have any other conversations to debate about how to/not to handle your dog on the trail, please start your own thread in the appropriate area.

Amen.

Kerosene
10-20-2008, 14:13
I'll be hiking through that area the middle of next week (October 29-30) and will keep my eye out for her.

soad
10-20-2008, 14:49
Fliers posted near the area can be VERY helpful. I lost my dog two summers ago, we posted fliers all over town. A five-year old kid saw our puppy in his back yard, later he saw the flier, told his mom and we were able to track our puppy down. Also leaving your sent around (clothing) is a good idea.

Best of luck....

dmax
10-20-2008, 15:34
If you take Roaring Creek road, it will dead end about 1/2 a mile from Overmountain shelter. You can drive there and check the shelter log to see if anything was written down about a lost dog. The shelter is a good place for a lost dog to hang out. Lots of people with handouts for hungry dogs. I've seen a few lost dogs there, in the past. I wish you the best of luck in finding you dog.

CrumbSnatcher
10-20-2008, 17:49
any word yet,i hope you find your friend. i wish you the best on this

Hikerhead
10-20-2008, 18:21
..Well said Tipi & good luck Lis.....any pix of the pup 2 post here.....

I agree...post a picture here. That will help.

mudhead
10-20-2008, 18:49
Collar? With tags?

puravida
10-20-2008, 23:11
she has on a collar and tags with our numbers and her name ... i am trying to upload a picture but not sure if it will work, her picture is now my profile picture though

thanks for ya'lls support! keep your eyes out

mudcap
10-20-2008, 23:13
I wish you the best of luck !

mudcap
10-20-2008, 23:20

I agree...this is tough enough for the OP. Like he needs to hear your preaching,give him some respect. A dog is part of the family,think about it before you post your heartless crap !

Tennessee Viking
10-21-2008, 01:44
If you were on the new relocation, the dog probably went up the old trail and up to Grassy Ridge Bald. Or looking for water. Roan is highly visited so someone should come across her.

TEHCC & SAHC members will be on the look out.

Be sure to contact the Carter County, TN Animal Shelter and any Mitchell County, NC. Also let Roan Mtn State Park know of the situation.

Your not alone.
I was with a veteran hiker/maintainer a couple weeks back above Yellow Mtn Gap, and his dog wondered off back down to the Roaring Creek parking area. He was missing almost all day.

Then while working with Konnarock we ran into a dog that climbed Little Hump from Minneapolis NC.

RiverWarriorPJ
10-21-2008, 08:42
..http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/customprofilepics/profilepic19378_1.gif.

nitewalker
10-21-2008, 08:58
i hope the little bugger is found and in good health.. pets mean alot to their owners...on another note, nice myspace tune!!!

peace out, nitewalker

Tennessee Viking
10-22-2008, 01:12
I will try to head you there this week.

puravida
11-04-2008, 22:58
just wanted to say that Prana, my lost pup, was returned to me after 4 days by some very sweet hikers that found her and kept her with them. we were very happy to be reunited and i think we both learned some valuable lessons during this adventure.
thanks to all who were on the look out!!
peace and blessings on the trail!!

Marta
11-04-2008, 23:02
Glad to hear it!

Blissful
11-04-2008, 23:15
Great news!!

rlharris
11-04-2008, 23:23
Brad sends his roos and wags. :jump

just wanted to say that Prana, my lost pup, was returned to me after 4 days by some very sweet hikers that found her and kept her with them. we were very happy to be reunited and i think we both learned some valuable lessons during this adventure.

SteveJ
11-05-2008, 02:03
whoo-hooo!

adventurousmtnlvr
11-05-2008, 02:58
did your pet have one of those implants in case someone finds he/she and takes your pet to a vet? Gosh, I do feel for you; I miss mine terrible. I still know a number of large groups that rescue and also 'show' dogs (not off-track) ... they may have other people who may know another way to help look. I'll contact that person now as they know a lot of people in that specific area.

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2008, 02:59
Just glad your dog hiked out with the hikers before that cold snap.

adventurousmtnlvr
11-05-2008, 03:01
ooops didn't read all of page 2 ... soooo happy you found the 'rest of your family' what a blessing :) ... and glad so many others cared :) it's teamwork :)

mudcap
11-05-2008, 09:04
Thats great news,glad to hear a happy ending.

Autumnwind
11-05-2008, 09:30
Thanks You's to the hikers who returned your baby.....:):):)
Good Deeds are always welcome out there on the trail.

:sun

weary
11-05-2008, 18:42
More great news on a great, mostly sunny fall day. Among other things I finished the last of 13 newsletters I've had to do this year. Maine Chapter AMC's last for the year went out a couple of weeks ago. The last MATC newsletter went to press yesterday afternoon. I picked it up this morning and delivered one thousand copies to the volunteer who handles the mailing to our members who pay dues, and to MATC friends who donate to the club.

Weary www.matlt.org

Big Dawg
11-05-2008, 22:35
just wanted to say that Prana, my lost pup, was returned to me after 4 days by some very sweet hikers that found her and kept her with them.

yahooooo,, raggy roooo!!! VERRRY happy for you, Lis!

Pony
11-05-2008, 23:12
More great news on a great, mostly sunny fall day. Among other things I finished the last of 13 newsletters I've had to do this year. Maine Chapter AMC's last for the year went out a couple of weeks ago. The last MATC newsletter went to press yesterday afternoon. I picked it up this morning and delivered one thousand copies to the volunteer who handles the mailing to our members who pay dues, and to MATC friends who donate to the club.

Glad to see that you are concerned about the dog.

Back to topic, I am so happy for you that you found your pooch. Last night I got a call that my house was on fire. On the ride home (at 90mph) all I could think about was my dog. When I got home, I found out that a flower planter hanging below a window was apparently used for an ashtray by a careless passerby. Luckily our neighbor came over with a fire extinguisher and shortly after the fire dept came by to finish the job. Our pets really are like our children and I would have been crushed if something happened to my dog. I can certainly understand how happy you are and I'm happy for you.

BumpJumper
11-06-2008, 01:34

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

***?:confused::confused::confused: Does this have to do with the man finding his lost dog?

I am so glad this story had a happy ending. If I lived up there, I would have been out looking for him myself.
:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chaco Taco
11-06-2008, 18:45
Was just up there and saw the signs at Overmountain. Really glad you guys are back together!!!

weary
11-07-2008, 15:32
***?:confused::confused::confused: Does this have to do with the man finding his lost dog?

I am so glad this story had a happy ending. If I lived up there, I would have been out looking for him myself.
:banana:banana:banana:banana
You are right. My apologies.

Sorry about that.

Weary