PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shenandoah Shuttle?

RITBlake
10-20-2008, 14:46
Hi guys.

I'm going on a weekend trip w/ some friends on the weekend of November 7,8, and 9.

We'd like to leave our car in Front Royal, VA and hike back towards town.

Is anyone available to drive our party of three about 20 miles down Skyline Drive.

If not, recommend a shutter in the area?

Does Weasel Creek shuttle?

Alligator
10-20-2008, 16:00
Try

Sharon Johnson
Front Royal, VA
(703) 615-5612 [cell] preferred
(540) 622-6422 [home]

Nice woman, rates were good. She's on the ATC shuttle list.

RITBlake
10-20-2008, 16:13
Thanks! I'll give her a ring!

2009ThruHiker
10-21-2008, 14:14
did u get your shuttle worked out?

RITBlake
10-21-2008, 14:44
I passed the info on to my friends and we are going to weigh some options. Can't decide if we want to hike the Northern part of the Sheny's or pay a little more $ on the shuttle and hike the central Sheny's.

CherrypieScout
10-21-2008, 15:02
Go to Sharon's - very nice people.

RITBlake
11-02-2008, 22:14
We are going next weekend.

What's a good 30ish mile segment to do over 3 days.

The Sheny's were a blur for me back in 05.

The shuttle will be doing the pickup and dropoff.

Pony
11-03-2008, 00:18
Around Gravel Springs Hut to Big Meadows is pretty cool, if you are looking for the northern part. Lots of good viewpoints. Hogback Mtn area I thought was especially cool.

Skyline
11-03-2008, 00:39
For reliable shuttles anywhere in Shenandoah, or north or south of it: www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com); 1-877-789-3210. Holds permit to shuttle in the national park, full commercial insurance, and a DMV operating authority, Also free private parking, free night on-site shelter, free hike planning services.

strates
11-03-2008, 04:26
I'll second the mvshuttle recommendation. Great services, with stealth site and water source intel. I specially appreciated the parking service. Be prepared to spend a little coin, though. All the services and intel may be free, but the ride surely isn't.

Blissful
11-03-2008, 10:54
We are going next weekend.

What's a good 30ish mile segment to do over 3 days.

The Sheny's were a blur for me back in 05.

The shuttle will be doing the pickup and dropoff.

Do the southern section unless you were already planning on the north. Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap. It's over 30 miles though (like 44). 10 miles a day in SNP on the AT is pretty low miles in this kind of terrain.

RITBlake
11-03-2008, 11:30
Do the southern section unless you were already planning on the north. Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap. It's over 30 miles though (like 44). 10 miles a day in SNP on the AT is pretty low miles in this kind of terrain.

Thanks Blissful for the advice. I'm going to look at that section. We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!

Marta
11-03-2008, 11:39
We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!

Good plan. When I hiked that section with a friend over Easter of 2007, the other section hikers were basically going shelter to shelter, or about 7 miles/day. It completely boggled their minds that Recess (who is about to complete the CDT in the next few days--way to go, girl!) and I were going three times that far every day. It just didn't seem humanly possible.:D

Pony
11-03-2008, 14:24
If you are doing the southern portion, you may wish to contact Rockfish Gap outfitters. They were able to give me the numbers for several people around Waynesboro who provide shuttles. I also agree that Mountain and Valley shuttle provides an excellent service, however as stated above, they are a bit pricey. I believe I still have some of the numbers that Rockfish Gap Outfitters gave me for shuttles if you're interested.

Blissful
11-03-2008, 15:13
Thanks Blissful for the advice. I'm going to look at that section. We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!

Ok, Sure thing - have a great time!!

RITBlake
11-03-2008, 15:59
Called the folks at MVShuttle.com

Very nice people and a very reasonable price.

Big Meadow to Gravel Springs. SOBO. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Blissful
11-03-2008, 16:06
Just watch the climb up Marys Rock if you're going SOBO. Almost did my partner in last week. One of the tougher climbs in SNP. Might want to stay at the new Birds Nest shelter area.

BTW - I think the hike for some reason is tougher on the AT SOBO than NOBO (I've done both ways now). Not sure why.

RITBlake
11-03-2008, 16:26
Just watch the climb up Marys Rock if you're going SOBO. Almost did my partner in last week. One of the tougher climbs in SNP. Might want to stay at the new Birds Nest shelter area.

BTW - I think the hike for some reason is tougher on the AT SOBO than NOBO (I've done both ways now). Not sure why.

Did it in sobo in 05. I remember sitting at the bottom of the mountain for an hour or two trying to muster the energy to climb it. (it was at the end of a long day) we decided not to camped, and came back and tackled it first thing the next morning.

Skyline
11-06-2008, 01:08
I'll second the mvshuttle recommendation. Great services, with stealth site and water source intel. I specially appreciated the parking service. Be prepared to spend a little coin, though. All the services and intel may be free, but the ride surely isn't.

When gas was $4.00-plus per gallon, rates were higher than they are now.

Of course, a commercial service is never going to be as cheap as a trail angel, but with Mountain & Valley Shuttle you are covered by real for-hire insurance, travelling with a company that has procured all the federal and state licenses, and are dealing with an entity that has a lot more availability and usually more knowledge about the Trail than a part-timer or a trail angel. There's room for everyone.

Skyline
11-06-2008, 01:16

The SOBO ascent from Thornton Gap to near Marys Rock is not easy, but it's not as difficult as the map profile suggests. There are several reprieves that are near-level, and some rather gentle climbs. The worst part, for me, is the top third which is steeper, rockier, and without much canopy cover on a hot/humid summer day because of gypsy moth damage.

RITBlake
11-06-2008, 13:41
In my mind, it's like any other big climb. Just take your time, set a good pace, and keep the legs moving. Stop if you need to.

RITBlake
11-06-2008, 13:48
btw, we're leaving in 2 hours, thanks to EVERYONE who helped me plan this thing out and provided helpful info. Whiteblaze rules as always.

RITBlake
11-10-2008, 18:01
Back!

http://www.maine2georgia.com/sun.jpg

Marta
11-10-2008, 19:32
Back!

http://www.maine2georgia.com/sun.jpg

Beautiful photo!

Hikerhead
11-10-2008, 20:21
From Little Stony Man. Me and J5MAN were there a few weeks ago. Very nice picture.

Panzer1
11-10-2008, 20:32
Is it true that it is not legal for a shuttle to charge you for a ride unless the shuttle has commercial insurance and is licensed to carry passengers?

Is that why some hostels give you a "free" ride when you stay with them?

Panzer

Skyline
11-10-2008, 23:03
Is it true that it is not legal for a shuttle to charge you for a ride unless the shuttle has commercial insurance and is licensed to carry passengers?

Is that why some hostels give you a "free" ride when you stay with them?

Panzer

Illegal? Technically, yes. Unwise to not comply? Definitely. At least in Virginia--the only state I know about for sure--but I'm thinking other states would be similar.

Insurance: If you take money for a ride—any money, no matter what you call it—and there is an accident in which there are injuries, you need commercial "for hire" insurance. The same kind of insurance taxis, limos, bus lines, etc. must have. If you rely upon plain old consumer insurance (Allstate, Geico, etc.), your insurer investigates an accident and discovers a monetary exchange, they will not pay. They will also cancel your policy. If you have assets, they will be at risk when you are sued by the victim(s). If you don't have assets, the poor victim(s) are SOL.

Licenses: In Virginia, in order to provide a taxi, limo, or shuttle service, you must obtain a Department of Motor Vehicles Operating Authority. You must prove a need for your service. You must compose a tariff. You must pay fees. You must jump through a number of other hoops. You must prove you have the aforementioned commercial insurance. To operate within a National Park, you must also obtain a separate concessioners permit which carries its own annual fees and an initiation fee; high liability insurance is also required.

AFAIK, Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (www.mvsuttle.com (http://www.mvsuttle.com)) is the only AT shuttler in Virginia that meets these criteria.

Blissful
11-10-2008, 23:50
Superb picture. Wow.