PDA

View Full Version : Adena Trace Trail -Hiking Partner

rt8877
10-20-2008, 16:59
32 Mile Loop Around Brookville Lake In Sw Indiana, Would Like To Find Hiking Partner, Great Fall Colors This Time Of Year.

ChinMusic
10-20-2008, 17:19
WOW, wasn't expecting to see this thread on White Blaze.

A group of us from Trail Talk just did sections of the Adena Trace (Brookville Lake, IN) this last weekend. http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/52249,1.php

I've done the loop several times and have consistently GPSed it as just under 25 miles (could be a bit over that but no where near 32), with a total elevation gain of 3350 feet. I did the whole loop on Sat/Sun and am pretty beat up today.

I love this loop but I gotta tell ya, she's in bad, bad shape right now. Only the Garr Hill to the causeway section is good shape. Hurricane Ike did a number on the west side (the real Adena Trace trail) and the SE section (Woodland Trail). It is blowdown city with scores of 3+ foot diameter trees littering the path. Plan on several extra hours due to this. The trail on the west side is never easy to follow under the best of conditions but right now, with all the blowdowns, leaf clutter, and fading blazes it is a chore to stay on trail. I have the whole trail on GPS and was REAL glad I did. It made finding my way bearable.

Phreak
10-20-2008, 17:45
32 Mile Loop Around Brookville Lake In Sw Indiana, Would Like To Find Hiking Partner, Great Fall Colors This Time Of Year.

I'll be just outside of Lawrenceburg, IN sometime in mid-November, and could possibly swing this trip.

falschirmjaeger
10-22-2008, 10:12
I would be interested in doing this sometime in November as well, if anybody is still looking to go.

I did about 12 miles (out and back) on the west side of the lake back in June. The trail was in decent shape, but there are still numerous large blow downs accross it.

ChinMusic
10-22-2008, 11:44
Remnants of Hurricane Ike hit the area in mid Sept. What you saw in June was nothing. Be prepared for a slow go.

Maryelle
03-21-2009, 21:02
Twelve members of the Hoosier Hikers Council were at Brookville on February 28 and March 1st, doing long neglected maintenance of the west side of the Adena Trail. We will be back this Thursday to finish the sections we did not have time for and will also work on the Woodland Trail. We'll meet at the Mounds office at 9:00 if any of the folks who live this trail want to join us.