PDA

View Full Version : Fort Indiantown Gap

buff_jeff
10-20-2008, 21:30
Does anyone know if the base was expanded in the direction of the AT, or if they are actually considering it? I remember when I rolled by there in 2007, a day hiker said they were considering it and the AT might have to be relocated.

I was on the base this weekend and the AT was listed on the map we could use for reference on the land nav course, but it didn't look like the boundary was any closer.

emerald
10-20-2008, 21:37
I've never heard of any such plans, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Call or email ATC and report back to us.

Ziggy Trek
10-21-2008, 00:07
On this Thursday, I'll be with the folks that will know for sure. I can update you by Friday.

Palmer
10-21-2008, 06:09
You're probably hearing about the "Stony Valley Land Swap". The National Guard wanted to acquire some land on the north side of Indiantown Gap to use as a buffer zone for artillery practice. The land is currently under the jurisdiction of the Pennsylvania Game Commission, and there was some question as to the legality of the swap. They have backed off the deal for now, and legislation is being written that would ensure that it doesn't happen in the future.

Not sure if the swap would have required a relocation of the AT.

ki0eh
10-21-2008, 07:55
SATC was not aware of any proposal that would have required an actual relocation of the A.T. itself.

The earlier proposal, supposedly abandoned (see http://www.savestonyvalley.com/ ) would have turned over a section of the north slope of Second Mountain, south of Stony Creek, to the military.

At the point nearest this location the A.T. is one ridgeline to the north, actually just on the north side of that ridgeline.

One's enjoyment of this section of A.T. would be negatively impacted by noise and possibly stray fire coming even closer than it does now - and by the more frequent closure of a rough road through FTIG used by hunters, maintainers, and day hikers. (I'm the maintainer from Cold Spring trail to Yellow Springs hollow so my volunteer work on your behalf would have been severely affected.)

Stony Creek is a State Wild & Scenic River, and there is much history visible under years of growth in the neighborhood of Cold Spring that would have been effectively closed off to public use much of the year by the earlier proposal.

How many more schemes to destroy "St. Anthony's Wilderness" will we see before the public demands permanent security for this publicly owned patchwork? I suspect at least one more.

Ziggy Trek
10-21-2008, 12:57
SATC was not aware of any proposal that would have required an actual relocation of the A.T. itself.

The earlier proposal, supposedly abandoned (see http://www.savestonyvalley.com/ ) would have turned over a section of the north slope of Second Mountain, south of Stony Creek, to the military.

At the point nearest this location the A.T. is one ridgeline to the north, actually just on the north side of that ridgeline.

One's enjoyment of this section of A.T. would be negatively impacted by noise and possibly stray fire coming even closer than it does now - and by the more frequent closure of a rough road through FTIG used by hunters, maintainers, and day hikers. (I'm the maintainer from Cold Spring trail to Yellow Springs hollow so my volunteer work on your behalf would have been severely affected.)

Stony Creek is a State Wild & Scenic River, and there is much history visible under years of growth in the neighborhood of Cold Spring that would have been effectively closed off to public use much of the year by the earlier proposal.

How many more schemes to destroy "St. Anthony's Wilderness" will we see before the public demands permanent security for this publicly owned patchwork? I suspect at least one more.

Nevermind post #3. ki0eh was one of those folks to ask anyway.:) Good info! (Thanks ki0eh! See you tomorrow.)