PDA

View Full Version : Glycemic Index

3oz
03-24-2004, 18:36
I've been seeing a lot of articles about the importance of the GI of a carb. From what I gather a low GI will give you sustained energy and a high GI will give you quick energy. Does anyone know more about this, specifically how it pertains to hiking. I'd love to learn more about nutrition.

Trailjockey
03-26-2004, 22:11
:-? That`s a complicated and long winded subject and probably in some aspects, debatable. Valuable to the diabetic and probably desirable to athletes who want to enhance performance.(Hikers in this case.) You might want to try www.glycemicdietsw.com for software that can help you plan meals. Or you might want to try http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/ngilists.htm.
Best if you google it. Lots of info available

Blue Jay
03-27-2004, 09:34
I've been seeing a lot of articles about the importance of the GI of a carb. From what I gather a low GI will give you sustained energy and a high GI will give you quick energy. Does anyone know more about this, specifically how it pertains to hiking. I'd love to learn more about nutrition.

Excellent question. GI is good to know, especilly if you can memorize the list for the common trail foods (types of pasta, rice, dehydrated stuff). However most (but clearly not all) goes out the window when you hit a resupply. Your individual cravings often overwhelm your intellect. My advice is to gorge like a snake as soon as you get into town (like you won't anyway). Then shop while TEMPORARILY sated. I think what is even more important is after you gorge, make sure you eat a good amout of fruits, vegetables and yogurt (or a probiotic). If your stomach flora and founa are well fed they can over come giardia, the massive influx of grease after trail food and the stress of massive activity, then nothing but sitting on your butt. Like soldiers, hikers march on their stomachs. Its hard to get good energy when you are puking and ****ting all over the place. Most treat their water but kill the good stomach bacteria that keeps them going.

c.coyle
03-27-2004, 10:32

Here's one layman's general understanding of GI. Don't take this to the bank:

A food that is easily and quickly broken down into sugar, which quickly gets into your bloodstream - gives you a quick but relatively short burst of energy - has a high glycemic index. Sugary foods, foods containing flour, root vegetables, and alcohol are generally high GI foods.

Foods that your body breaks down to sugar slowly and with more difficulty have a low GI. The energy hit comes slower, but is more sustained. Complex carbohydrates (high in fiber: fruits, vegetables, whole grains), fats, and proteins are generally low GI foods.

Evidently foods that are both fatty and sugary can have a _low_ GI, because the fat somehow slows down sugar absorption into the bloodstream. Ice cream is an example.

There's a ton of stuff on the web about GI.