PDA

View Full Version : Trail Maintenance Call - Pinhoti Trail (AL)-Fall 2008

Cuffs
10-21-2008, 10:30
During the week of October 27-31, The Alabama Hiking Trail Society (http://www.hikealabama.org/) will be working on sections of the Pinhoti Trail in Talladega National Forest. Once this section is checked, it will likely not need much work. Our crews will then move to the southern end of the woods trail (Bull Gap) and we will be assisting the Forest Service in cutting a brand new woods trail across Rebecca Mountain. This trail will extend the woods trail south, and remove several miles of road walk.

We will use Cheaha State Park as our base camp. If you join us, camping is FREE during this work week! There are also several other locations that can be used to camp nearby.

November 1-5 we will move our camp to the Weogufka area and begin building the woods trail on and around Flagg Mountain, the final southern terminus of the Pinhoti NRT.

If you can help out, would like to return some good deeds to the trail, please join us for a day, 3 days, the whole week or both weeks! We will accommodate any time you can give!

Bring tools if you have them, but if you dont, dont worry, we have plenty to share!

Please contact me here if you need any more info!

minnesotasmith
10-21-2008, 10:40
Faithwalker and I will be coming through there in December. Obviously, the Pinhoti guidebook we have will be out of date on those sections. Is there any place online that will show the changes from this upcoming trail work we can look at before we get to Flagg Mtn. 2 months from now?

jnetx
10-21-2008, 15:43
Please contact me here if you need any more info!

What kind of camping/sites qualify under free? Do you have a group site booked, or several individual sites to share? Electric and water hookups, or remote/backcountry?

Thanks

Cuffs
11-01-2008, 00:52
Had a great 3 days of work in the Talladega Nat'l Forest, built several miles of new trail to extend the Pinhoti southward! (report and photos to follow soon.)

For those wanting to come help build new trail on Flagg Mountain, the southern terminus of the Pinhoti and the southern most 1000 foot mountain, heres some directions for you!

Directions to Flagg Mtn

From the north (Birmingham area)

I65 south to exit #212

Turn left/north at the end of the ramp onto Hwy 145

Follow Hwy 145 for 1.75 miles, turn left/east onto CR55

Follow CR 55 for approx. 18.5 miles (crossing Lay Dam at 7 miles) to CR 55. Turn left onto CCC Camp Road.

This is a dirt road. Bear right at the first fork and left at the second fork. This will take you all the way up to the fire tower.

From the east (Atlanta area)

I20 west to Exit #168 / Hwy 77

Go left/south on Hwy 77

Veer right on Hwy 275, bypassing Talladega

Hwy 275 ends at Hwy 21, turn right/south on 21

Follow Hwy 21 thru Sylacauga, 21 becomes US231

Follow US 231 to Stewartsville

In Stewartville (just past the Chevron?) turn south/right on Hwy 41

Follow 41 into Weogufka, turn west/south on CR 56

Drive approx 3.25 miles on 56, turn south/left onto CR55

Follow CR 55 .75 mile, turn left onto CCC Camp Road.

This is a dirt road. Bear right at the first fork and left at the second fork. This will take you all the way up to the fire tower.

From the south (Montgomery area)

I65 north to Exit #212

Turn right/north at the end of the ramp onto Hwy 145

Follow Hwy 145 for 1.75 miles, turn left/east onto CR55

Follow CR 55 for approx. 18.5 miles (crossing Lay Dam at 7 miles) to CR 55. Turn left onto CCC Camp Road.

If you are east of Montgomery, you may also take US 231 north to Stewartville,

Turn left/south onto CR 41

Follow 41 into Weogufka, turn west/south on CR 56

Drive approx 3.25 miles on CR56, turn south/left onto CR55

Follow CR 55 .75 mile, turn left onto CCC Camp Road.

Two Speed
11-01-2008, 14:39
Thanks. See ya Sunday!

generoll
11-01-2008, 14:48
I'll be there Tuesday after I vote. Missed the early voting here in TN.

Cuffs
11-07-2008, 12:55
My apologies to those who posted asking for info, I missed them and was not on/near a computer while out on this venture.

Great fall weather and lots of work was accomplished! Photos of the incredible fall colors here http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568525641Obdarb

ki0eh
11-07-2008, 15:02
Hmm, I never seem to have any nice pictures when I'm out WORKING... ;)

Had heavy rain the 25th weekend working on the GET in PA, and same forecast for this weekend's work on the very north end of the GET in NY...