PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 60 Users

Moose2001
03-24-2004, 20:04
I've decided to retire my trusty Gregory Lassen pack after 4000 miles of AT trips. I love the suspension system but just can't deal with the 8 pounds of weight any longer. I've been seriously looking at the Osprey Aether 60. I found one in the outfitter this past week but didn't get to try it on as they were out of the Large size. I was somewhat surprised by the hipbelt on the Aether. It seems like there's very little structure to it. I could easily bend it in half. I got to seriously wondering how well the belt would support the weight in the pack.

I started looking for reviews and found several that voiced the same concerns that I had. Each reviewer then went on to say how much they loved the pack. I noticed the amount of time that each reviewer carried the pack was less than 7 days. I'm not sure this limited amount of time really gives a good basis for a valid review.

Thought I'd ask any of you that have carried the pack to provide some feedback on it. I'd like to know your comments on each of the questions below:

a) How many miles or how long did you carry the pack?

b) What is your feelings on the suspension system. Excellent, good, fair, poor? Why?

c) Have you had any problems or failures with the pack? If so, what were they?

d) Would you buy the pack again or recommend it to someone else?

e) Anything else you feel would be important to know.

Thanks!!

A-Train
03-24-2004, 20:16
Moose,

Hey buddy, hope everything is going well for you. I don't have any personal experience with the Osprey 60, but I've heard tons of folks rant about it being a very comfy pack. Really cool that you are looking at lighter stuff, I feel it makes a big difference.

You might wanna consider looking at Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington. They've got really good deals on Granite Gear packs which were highly recommended by everyone who used them this year. They have the Vapor Trail (2 lbs, holds up to 30lbs) and the Nimbus Ozone (3 lbs, holds up to 40 lbs comfortably) both on sale. I believe they are both about 20 bucks off their original prices. They also have used Mountainsmith Ghosts, the pack I used for 1000 miles for 89$ which is a pretty awesome deal. Might be worth checkin out, they are knowledable and friendly guys. Good luck

verber
03-24-2004, 22:30
I have carried the Aether for several hundred miles at this point. The longest stretch at one time was around 70 miles on a trip which was cut short (that was over 3 days... though I had food for 7 + a bear canister). I think the suspension system is excellent for <35 lbs, good for <40 lbs. I think more than 40 lbs would be pushing the pack too much. I have had no problems with the pack and highly recommend it. I have loaned this pack to a number of friend who have all said it was the most comfortable pack they have used.

I tend to use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail for many trip rather than the Aether becuase the Vapor Trail is 1.5lbs lighter, smaller volume, and almost as comfortable for lighter loads. But anytime I need more volume or need to carry more than around 30lb is happy switch back to the Aether 60.

Hammock Hanger
03-24-2004, 22:44
I've decided to retire my trusty Gregory Lassen pack after 4000 miles of AT trips. I love the suspension system but just can't deal with the 8 pounds of weight any longer. I've been seriously looking at the Osprey Aether 60. I found one in the outfitter this past week but didn't get to try it on as they were out of the Large size. I was somewhat surprised by the hipbelt on the Aether. It seems like there's very little structure to it. I could easily bend it in half. I got to seriously wondering how well the belt would support the weight in the pack.

I started looking for reviews and found several that voiced the same concerns that I had. Each reviewer then went on to say how much they loved the pack. I noticed the amount of time that each reviewer carried the pack was less than 7 days. I'm not sure this limited amount of time really gives a good basis for a valid review.

Thought I'd ask any of you that have carried the pack to provide some feedback on it. I'd like to know your comments on each of the questions below:

a) How many miles or how long did you carry the pack? Mine has over 1000 AT miles.

b) What is your feelings on the suspension system. Excellent, good, fair, poor? Why? I found the suspension to be fine for the weight I was carrying, no more the 40, on a bad day, mostly 28.

c) Have you had any problems or failures with the pack? If so, what were they? I had a stay pop out thru the top. Seems it was a defect with that years model, which has been fixed. Mine was fixed by the Osprey vendors at Trail Days.

d) Would you buy the pack again or recommend it to someone else? I would buy the pack again, I have recommended it to others and will continue to do so. Before this pack I was a diehard Gregory user.

e) Anything else you feel would be important to know. I know that the belt seems a little less then those you are use to on the Gregory packs but it works jsut fine. I love the way you tighten it by pulling towrds you instead of away. If you think about it this belt is much bigger then those on goLites (of which I now use when hiking really lite.) I will be bring my Aether 60 this summer on the Colorado Trail.

One last thing, I used and abused my pack and it still looks great. It is very solid. -- I ditched the hood. Sue/Hammock Hanger;)

Thanks!! You are very welcome............:p

Footslogger
03-24-2004, 23:06
Yo Moose ...that's the pack I bought in Harpers last year. Carried it until S. Egremont and then switched back to my Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Don't buy a new one yet (unless you already have). Contact me off line and I'll send you mine to try out. A little wear on the hip belt but otherwise in great shape.

Hammock Hanger
03-24-2004, 23:16
then switched back to my Granite Gear Vapor Trail. .
What made you switch back to the Granite Gear??? I looked at one of these at Trail Days last year...

Sue/HH

Alligator
03-24-2004, 23:40
a) How many miles or how long did you carry the pack?

[QUOTE=Moose2001]
b) What is your feelings on the suspension system. Excellent, good, fair, poor? Why?

[QUOTE=Moose2001]
c) Have you had any problems or failures with the pack? If so, what were they?

[QUOTE=Moose2001]
d) Would you buy the pack again or recommend it to someone else?

e) Anything else you feel would be important to know.

Thanks!!

a) Several hundred miles to date, no more than 4 days at a time.

b) Excellent for 30-35 lbs. Never sore shoulders. Rides nice.

c) Minor problem, water bottle pockets are slanted on my model. Difficult to insert tent poles or thermarest chair on outside. This has been changed so that the pockets are straight up now.

d) Bought one for my nephew's HS graduation present. Bought the Ariel 60 for my wife.

e) The criss-crossing belt is superb. All hip belts should be designed like this. I have the large.

Watch Sierra Trading Post for deals.

Footslogger
03-24-2004, 23:54
What made you switch back to the Granite Gear??? I looked at one of these at Trail Days last year...

Sue/HHAfter umpty-ump miles with the Aether 60 I realized that there was a lot of excess space for the gear/clothing I was carrying. Besides, by that point on my hike I had pretty much pared things down to the bare minimum anyway. I decided to take advantage of the lighter weight/smaller capacity pack (Vapor Trail) that I had purchased back in Pearisburg. I found that the Vapor Trail was all I needed and that I probably should never have sent it home in the first place. With my total pack weight down around 24 - 26 pounds at that point, I noticed a huge difference in comfort with the Vapor Trail and decided to carry it the rest of the way. Funny, because even after I got my warmer sleeping bag and clothes in Glencliff, the Vapor Trail was still more than adequate for my needs.

If I had it to do all over again (famous last words ...) I'd carry the Vapor Trail, or something like it, the entire way.

yogi clyde
03-25-2004, 01:01
I'm considering the Aether 60 for my upcoming thru-hike.
I've read about some complaints about it squeaking.
Also, does the hood interfer with your head?
I really like the belt and the way the pull is designed.

I have the Granite Gear Ozone, rides and carries well, but
not hydration compatible and the side pockets are not well designed and no outside mesh pocket.

I considered the ULA P-2, great design, but it does not fit me well.
Put the P-2 design on the GG and I would be a happy camper.

gumball
03-25-2004, 06:51
I have the Aether 60 and the Ariel 75--have carried the Ariel for about 7 days and it was luxurious--I believe the Aether would have done just as well, I just like a little more space. They carry beautifully, very durable. They do squeak, but I ignore it.

I would also go to the TrailJournals site and do a search on Aether 60's--this is how I researched mine. Quite a few folks used them on thru hikes.

Hammock Hanger
03-25-2004, 07:20
After umpty-ump miles with the Aether 60 I realized that there was a lot of excess space for the gear/clothing I was carrying. Besides, by that point on my hike I had pretty much pared things down to the bare minimum anyway. I decided to take advantage of the lighter weight/smaller capacity pack (Vapor Trail) that I had purchased back in Pearisburg. I found that the Vapor Trail was all I needed and that I probably should never have sent it home in the first place. With my total pack weight down around 24 - 26 pounds at that point, I noticed a huge difference in comfort with the Vapor Trail and decided to carry it the rest of the way. Funny, because even after I got my warmer sleeping bag and clothes in Glencliff, the Vapor Trail was still more than adequate for my needs.

If I had it to do all over again (famous last words ...) I'd carry the Vapor Trail, or something like it, the entire way.
Yeah, now that I am down to 25 pounds I can get by with a lighter pack. I use the Golite Speed. It is very good up to 25-26 pounds any heavier and it gets compromised. I have a fear there could be days on the CT that I will have to carry multiple days worth of water so am taking the Osprey. WHen not carrying the extra water it will probably be over kill... Sue/HH

verber
03-25-2004, 12:45
There is a head rail which keeps the hood away from your head. I haven't had any problems with range of motion or visibility. On the other had my hats which have big brims in the rear of the hat rub against the pack which is annoying. I had to switched from my typical sun hat to a Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat to avoid going crazy. My Aether squeaks periodically... but it isn't squeaking all the time and easily ignored.

Kerosene
03-25-2004, 12:55
There are reviews for the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235) and Vapor Trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1333) elsewhere on this site (just follow the links).

Moose2001
03-27-2004, 12:29
Thanks to all of you that responded to my post. I really got excited thinking I might of found a new pack. I went back to the outfitter today as he told me he'd have some larges in stock today. The more I looked at the pack, the more I was sure I wanted it. Sadly, as soon as I tried it on, I knew it wouldn't work. The ends of the hipbelt almost touch and I'm not even at hiking weight. Since the Aether has a sewn-in hipbelt, no way I can put a smaller belt on it. I guess that's the price you pay for having a tall, skinny body. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks everyone!!!

Footslogger
03-27-2004, 16:17

I have the Granite Gear Ozone, rides and carries well, but
not hydration compatible and the side pockets are not well designed and no outside mesh pocket.

I considered the ULA P-2, great design, but it does not fit me well.
Put the P-2 design on the GG and I would be a happy camper.===================

Yogi ...you mention that the Granite Gear packs are not "hydration compatible". Just for the record ...I carried a 1.8L Platy and rolled it up in the storm collar of the Vapor Trail and let the hose dangle down over my right shoulder. Worked like a champ.

gumball
03-28-2004, 07:03
Moose2001,
You might consider the Aether 75--I know its a little more weight, but I have carried mine on some longer section hikes for 7+ days at a time and found it to be like a part of my body rather than a sack of weight on my back. I went to the Ariel (women's version) 75 for just that same reason--the sewn in hipbelt didn't match my torso proportions.

Just a thought--carries like there's not much there.