PDA

View Full Version : water in Ga for hike in early nov

Athena55
10-22-2008, 00:05
Does anyone have the water info for Springer to Neels lately?

take-a-knee
10-22-2008, 01:09
This should tell you what you need to know:

https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

bloodmountainman
10-22-2008, 09:00
I recieved a PM from Gladiator recently. He hiked from Springer to Neel Gap and informed me that water was not a problem for him.

Gladiator
10-22-2008, 11:26
I hiked from Neels Gap to AFSP nearly 2 weeks ago. Between Neels Gap and Hawk Mountain, I got water at Jarrard Gap (went all the way to the campground) and the small stream south of Dan Gap. (Lance Creek?) I didn't get any more until the Gooch Mountain Shelter, although I was told that there was a small stream flowing just east of Gooch Gap. Between Hawk and Springer there were several streams flowing.

Before you depart, check www.georgia-atclub.org\water_resources.html (http://www.georgia-atclub.org\water_resources.html) for more recent updates.

Enjoy your hike!
Gladiator

Athena55
10-22-2008, 23:25
Thanks folks, hope to see you out there someday, Athena

FatMan
10-23-2008, 09:40
It's been dry here in October but with cold weather gaining ground water is readily available from Springer to Gooch. Water remains a bit tough from Gooch to Neels.

Be sure to fill up at Gooch, use the trail on the north side of Gooch Gap as the old shelter seep to the south is dry. There is also a very reliable, but unpublished water source down the old Grassy Gap roadbed a mile north of Gooch Gap. Use this if you don't want the hike all the way down to the Gooch Gap source. Look towards the right about 70 yards down the roadbed for the creek. And be sure to fill up at Lance creek near Miller Gap. As stated above, water can always be obtained at the Jarrard Gap Trail and Slaughter Gap trail by hiking the trails down towards Lake Winnie Scott. You will find water down both these trails, but I am not certain as how far down.

I'm about to walk down to Justus Creek. I'll do a check on the Gooch Mtn Shelter supply as last week it was running pretty slow.

Looks like we are in for our first hard freeze in the higher elevations in the next couple of days. Bring the appropriate gear. And wear your orange. I heard plenty of gunshots from deck this morning.

ChinMusic
10-23-2008, 12:39
Fatman - When considering weather, is it best to plug in Blairsville or Dawsonville for the Springer to Neels section? And what adjustment for elevation would you make?

FatMan
10-23-2008, 13:59
Fatman - When considering weather, is it best to plug in Blairsville or Dawsonville for the Springer to Neels section? And what adjustment for elevation would you make?Google "30572 Weather" and subtract about 5 degrees. The 30572 (Suches) weather readings are taken at Turners Corner which is at a lower elevation.

Just got back from my walk down to Justus Creek. Water is flowing at Gooch Mtn Shelter but slowly. The spring is covered with leaves which is usual this time of year. If I were hiking north I would water up at Blackwell Creek about 1/4 south of the shelter. Water is flowing at Gooch Gap down the blue blaze trail north of US42, and of course, Blackwell and Justus are flowing.

We have rain in the forcast for tomorrow but it is not expected to be all that much.