PDA

View Full Version : Decided to Thru-Hike October-08, Is this too late to prepare?

Gaza
10-22-2008, 02:25
I have been reading over and through whiteblaze for the past week and a half and today October 22, 2008 I decided to join.

Currently I am supposed to be moving to L.A. in November to pursue my dream of working in the "movie biz". I have a place with friends set up and ready to go. The only issue is. I have seriously been considering putting off my L.A. trip until the same time next year, after I finish the thru-hike.

Is it too late for me at this current time to begin preparing for an '09 hike starting in March? Is this something I need to take more time to prepare for? I feel as if right now going into such a self absorbed and un-natural business (which I've already worked in [NYC]) that I could use some time in the woods. I've wanted to do this hike since I was 14-15 years old. Another thing is, other than a 100k worth of student loans with Sallie Mae, I have nothing to hold me back. No wife, no girlfriend, no kids, no house. My student loans can be deferred for 6 months as long as I make a full payment before leaving.

So all in all is it too late to prepare? lol. Now that I've explained my situation. Also does anyone on here have any relatives working in L.A. that could potentially help me out after I piss off my current network of friends by choosing the AT over their offer of a place in Santa Monica. lol.:welcome Can someone hit me on the head with that Welcome sign? I'm Gary. Nice to meet you all. I looooooooooooooooooove the Appalachians!

"A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on." William S. Burroughs

Nest
10-22-2008, 02:43
Nope. I know a couple people who successfully hiked this year with only a couple months of planning. Just ask a whole lot of questions on here, read a lot from this website and trailplace.com, and have enough money for gear and the hike. This late in the game, I wouldn't worry about any maildrops. Just plan on mailing your summer gear to yourself, and bouncing the winter gear ahead. Other than that it's really just walking. Seems really intimidating thinking about the entire hike and not knowing what to expect, but it's not as bad as I expected. As long as you have enough time to hike, decent gear, and enough money you will be fine. Everything else will fall into place as your hike progresses.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 02:58
I have been reading over and through whiteblaze for the past week and a half and today October 22, 2008 I decided to join.

Currently I am supposed to be moving to L.A. in November to pursue my dream of working in the "movie biz". I have a place with friends set up and ready to go. The only issue is. I have seriously been considering putting off my L.A. trip until the same time next year, after I finish the thru-hike.

Is it too late for me at this current time to begin preparing for an '09 hike starting in March? Is this something I need to take more time to prepare for? I feel as if right now going into such a self absorbed and un-natural business (which I've already worked in [NYC]) that I could use some time in the woods. I've wanted to do this hike since I was 14-15 years old. Another thing is, other than a 100k worth of student loans with Sallie Mae, I have nothing to hold me back. No wife, no girlfriend, no kids, no house. My student loans can be deferred for 6 months as long as I make a full payment before leaving.

So all in all is it too late to prepare? lol. Now that I've explained my situation. Also does anyone on here have any relatives working in L.A. that could potentially help me out after I piss off my current network of friends by choosing the AT over their offer of a place in Santa Monica. lol.:welcome Can someone hit me on the head with that Welcome sign? I'm Gary. Nice to meet you all. I looooooooooooooooooove the Appalachians!

"A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on." William S. Burroughs

there really ain't much to plan or prepare for. it's just walkin'. so yeah, go for it.

KG4FAM
10-22-2008, 06:33
All you have to do is look at your guide book and find out how many miles it is to the next place to buy food. From Springer its Neels Gap and that is about 30 so take three days food or four if you are not in shape. Once you get there look at your guidebook again to find the next place for food and keep doing that at every town.

There you go, I have done all of your planning that you need for your thru hike.

bigcranky
10-22-2008, 07:05
Sure, you have plenty of time. Check the home page for Baltimore Jack's resupply schedule. Make sure have enough money. It would be nice if someone back home would be able to mail you gear every once in a while, as well as handle any financial affairs. Do your taxes before you leave. Do a LOT of walking between now and March. Do some backpacking, too, especially if you can get up into the Georgia or NC mountains this winter.

BookBurner
10-22-2008, 09:30
There's absolutely enough time! In 2002, I hiked with "Three Day" - that's how long it took him to plan his trip. Go for it and good luck!

Ender
10-22-2008, 09:53
Plently of time... I think I gave myself 1 month to prep for my PCT hike. Just get your gear, and start excercising to get your legs used to moving and hopefully avoid tendonitis or shin splints. As far as planning the hike itself... don't. Just buy food along the way, and plan each week of hiking as you walk. No reason to plan more than a week ahead while out there.

Lyle
10-22-2008, 10:07
Besides getting your gear together and maybe a few weekend outings to test things out and become familiar with them, not much planning is really needed. In my opinion, most folks way OVER PLAN their hikes. Some people enjoy this aspect, I tend to not really plan (other than some travel arrangements) until the week before I leave, even for a longer trip.

Re-read 33Whiskey's post - it's dead on! Even equipment can be modified enroute if you have some extra cash.

Welcome, ask your questions, HAVE A BLAST!

dessertrat
10-22-2008, 11:07
there really ain't much to plan or prepare for. it's just walkin'. so yeah, go for it.

As long as you are adaptable and willing to make adjustments as you go along, I would think there would be no problem with just getting some gear and going for it, and working your way into shape. I would say that a few months is more than enough time.

RITBlake
10-22-2008, 11:11
Minus the process of storing my car, closing my apartment, etc.. I could get prepared for a thru hike in 24 hours.

A few hours at a reputable outfitter and arranging transport to the trailhead.

The rest of the thru hike will be spontaneous (as it should be!)

Mail drops are a thing of a past unless you have dietary needs. Not much else to plan.

Serial 07
10-22-2008, 13:25
hike man hike...the only worry i have for you is be prepared to be a changed man! it may be a little, it may be a lot, but the trail will definitely bring you to a new perspective...

Joe8484
10-22-2008, 14:46
I really enjoyed this thread as a 09 hiker. The more I talk to other 09'ers the more I feel that extensive planning is like another job.

My plan is to
1 -finish buying gear, maps and guides
2 -test gear, browse guides
3 -buy bus/airplane ticket
4 -hike

:banana

Marta
10-22-2008, 15:12
I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

Most of the elaborate preparation occurs because there's time to do it. In other words, the work expands to fill the time available.

That said, if you're planning a thru-hike and are not already an experienced hiker, I urge you to spend whatever free time you have between now and then hiking and backpacking. If you discover that hiking along at 2 mph carrying a load on your back is a boring and loathsome activity to you, it's nice to know that before you tell your boss to take this job and shove it, etc. You'll also learn a few things that will make the initial weeks on the trail go a lot more smoothly...and you'll wow the other would-be thrus with your wisdom and experience.

Kirby
10-22-2008, 15:22
While I laid the ground work months in advance, I did not do any full blown detailed planning until January of this year.

If I were to do it different, I'd grab a guidebook, make sure I had money in the bank, and I'd start walking having planned the first 2-3 resupply points.

Kirby

Johnny Thunder
10-22-2008, 16:45
As Kirby said...besides being comfortable with your gear...the only planning you'll need is to figure out how many days to Neels and then how many days to Hiawasee. Think about food, fuel, and (water) treatment. Everything else falls in line.

Remember that it's possible to overplan the trip. Don't stress.

Doctari
10-22-2008, 16:52
Assuming you are leaving around March(ish) you have 4 to 5 minths to get ready. More than enough time to get gear & food & stuff.

And, Assuming you need to get all your gear; while it is not mandatory, it is highly suggested (& you do after all have the time): Practice with your gear at least one time before you hit the trail. Setting up your shelter that first night on the trail during a freak T-Storm is not the place to learn how to set up :D

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2008, 18:26
You have plenty of time to plan and prepare for your trip, and this website should help answer lots of your questions.

Have fun, see you out there.

Gaza
10-24-2008, 02:57
Thank you for all the information guys. I appreaciate it. I'm excited as hell. And nervous as hell as well. I'm giving myself til Monday October 24th to decide for sure but so far it's looking pretty good.

So mail drops are outdated huh? Has anyone here ever used a bounce box?

Nest
10-24-2008, 03:35
Has anyone here ever used a bounce box?

Yeah, they are a pain in the butt. If you aren't doing mail drops then definately try to avoid one. That would mean you never have to worry about going into a certain town, or being there on time for the Post Office. Then there are weekends when they close early, some of them have odd hours, holidays, etc. I bounced mine once from Fontana to Damascus. When I got to Damascus I sent it home.

They are handy if you have medications, or things you can't do without but aren't practical to carry. Just remember every time you open it and send it forward it costs money, and you may have to go into a town just for the box when you could have passed the town otherwise.

Marta
10-24-2008, 07:27
I used a bounce box, and probably would again. Among other things, it contained the charger for my camera, a roll of duct tape, some cold medicine, extra plastic bags, etc...anything I had to buy a lot of and only wanted to carry a little of.

Gaza
10-25-2008, 05:04
Well how on earth do you guys keep your shoes going without running your weigh into 40-50-60lbs? I'm confused about that. Is it pretty easy to buy shoes in the trail towns? Or do you just carry the extras with you? Or just call home when you absolutely have to get some and have friend/family send them to you?

bigcranky
10-25-2008, 08:50
Well how on earth do you guys keep your shoes going without running your weigh into 40-50-60lbs? I'm confused about that. Is it pretty easy to buy shoes in the trail towns? Or do you just carry the extras with you? Or just call home when you absolutely have to get some and have friend/family send them to you?

Are you talking about replacing your trail shoes when they wear out? Sure, you can buy new shoes in many places along the AT. Or you can buy several pairs and have someone at home mail them to you as needed.

fancyfeet
10-25-2008, 13:20
:welcome to WB! Yeah, pretty much what everyone said...get your gear, try it out, get in shape. You can plan a hike to death. Being prepared is important, of course, but I found that most of the things I planned on went out the window once I started.

If I was laid off tomorrow, I would put my stuff in storage and be hiking somewhere with a week.

Slimer
10-25-2008, 13:53
I planned it in about 8 hours. Very little planning is needed for an AT thru-hike.
Just get some good gear and start walking.

whitelightning
10-25-2008, 22:16
I may not understand your question concerning the weight. However, if I'm interpreting your question the way big cranky has I would not reccomend buying several pairs of shoes/boots to send to yourself BEFORE YOUR HIKE. I did this and I regret it now. It seemed like a good idea at the time, though. I bought and extra pair of boots and spent time breaking them in so they could be sent to me on the trail when needed. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to Hiawassee, GA my feet had swollen in ways that caused my boots to no longer fit properly. I had terrible blisters and had to get off trail for a few days and find different boots. Not the end of the world, but I did spend money on an extra pair of boots that don't fit now.

There are outfitters along the trail that can help you with new footwear. Or if you are confident a particular shoe will work for you, have it shipped ahead to a post office near the trail. Just wait til you've been on the trail for awhile and have a better idea of what will fit. I wore out 3 pairs of boots on my thruhike this year. Two of those pairs I ordered from REI and had shipped to me when I needed them. I did this to avoid arriving at a outfitter in need of new footwear only to find out they did not have what I needed i.e. wrong size, shoe, etc. Good Luck to you.

Old Goat
11-03-2008, 19:51
It doesn't matter how much you plan and prepare you'll learn many along the way and make changes. You will not hike and camp the same as you did in the beginning after a few weeks. I've seen many hikers buy new gear on the trail, myself included (new backpack in Front Royal,VA. @1000 miles into my hike). Be open minded to what you see and adapt the things you like discard the ones you don't like.

Reading these forums is a good start.

Haiku
11-05-2008, 11:05
I could thru-hike the AT with one day's notice. As others have said, just take enough food to get you to the next town. Besides that, all you really need is a trail guide. If you're not sure of gear, it will work itself out on the trail. You go through Walasi-Yi, which is a great outfitter. Hot Springs and Damascus both have good outfitters. By then you should have everything dialed in. Just make sure to have at least a few thousand dollars in the bank (you could probably do it for less than $4,000 but you don't want to have to worry, do you?).

Haiku.

Haiku.

Bigagnes
11-11-2008, 12:16
I've got most of my gear...all I gotta do now is figure out how to braid my own hair. Yesssssss.

Mikiniki
01-06-2009, 23:17
I'm more in the hole than you are, I just decided to commit to this hike 2 days after christmas. From what I can tell...we are going to be just fine. I def. agree with whoever said that we make work to fill up the time....very true, and that actually helped me stop stressing!

Tudor
01-06-2009, 23:50
I'm more in the hole than you are, I just decided to commit to this hike 2 days after christmas. From what I can tell...we are going to be just fine. I def. agree with whoever said that we make work to fill up the time....very true, and that actually helped me stop stressing!

Decided tonite to do a NOBO thru. Lost my job, among other things, so its a perfect time to finish what I started 5 years ago. Remeber the Pareto principle: 80% of an outcome comes from 20% of the actions. No stresses.

superman
01-07-2009, 00:08
Lots of people hike the AT a transitional point in their life. Some times the time on the trail is well spent and the person moves on with their life. Other times it is just active avoidance. Welcome to the club.:-?