PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions from Roan to Yellow Mt. Gap

the dragon
10-22-2008, 10:53
Hello all,

This is my first post on this site, but I have been doing some research around the site and it has already been really helpful. This is a really informative and help full place to find all things AT.

Two of my buddies and I are planning a hike up Roan from Hughes gap in mid November. The 13th to be exact. We will be staying at Roan High Knob shelter the 1st night, then hiking to Overmountain shelter and staying the 2nd night. We will then backtrack to Carver's Gap to be picked up by a friend on day 3 to complete our hike.

My question is has anyone been up that way recently? And if so, what is the water situation? I know the data books say that there are water sources at both Roan High Knob Shelter and Overmountain, but I wanted to verify the current conditions. We ran into a little trouble a couple of years back when we depended on the "water sources" and they were all dry. I'd like to avoid that on this outing.

Thanks guys.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 10:55
this whole region is really dry right now. just carry lots of water

Cabin Fever
10-22-2008, 12:02
You can fill up on water at the bathroom at old Cloudland Hotel site - no joke. After that, water should be flowing at Overmountain. We will be there this weekend and check on it.

Start 1st day full.
Fill up at the bathroom.
Fill up at Overmountain for walk back to Carver's.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 12:41
that water will be shut off soon if not already

Summit
10-22-2008, 19:16
At Overmountain, where the trail meets the road (right leads to 'the barn' shelter) go left down the road about 1/4 mile to a culvert (stream running under road). Water was flowing good there last weekend.

Tennessee Viking
10-22-2008, 19:32
I think they close the Cloudland Road around 1st week of November. Being a Pisgah Forest road, most of their roads close at the end of December. From TEHCC reports, Ash Gap is low but running. You have the restrooms and water fountains until they close down the road. Roan High may be a bit dry. The springs on the descent to and at Carvers Gap where going from what I heard. Grassy Ridge was flowing. Stan Murray was a pool. The Barn waters a going. The new spring at the barn is now below the road where the road/blue blaze meet. A couple other reliable springs down near the Roaring Creek parking area. Just down the slope from the parking, there is old cabin site with a box spring from the nearby stream. Bradley Gap is a going. Doll Flats might be the only iffy one. It tends to be the first one to go on the mountain. Apple House has a main drainage so its going.

Right now, Watauga Lake to TN91 are the driest section.

mountain squid
10-22-2008, 19:33
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs087.gifto WB the dragon. On Saturday, the 18th, the spring at Carvers Gap was flowing very well. Stan Murray Shelter had a small pool of water. As Lone Wolf mentioned, the bathroom is probably closed by now, but I don't know for sure.

See you on the trail,
mt squid