PDA

View Full Version : Former AT route

Montana Mac
10-22-2008, 11:59
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but......

Does anyone know if the trail from Cornwall Bridge, CT, via Mohawk Mountain, to Falls Village, CT is still a CT Blue Trail? After the AT was relocated this was a blue trail.

AMC'S Best Day Hikes in Connecticut lists the trail from Essex Hill Road in Cornwall to Mohawk Mountain as an "out and back" hike. The DEP web shows the trail going north to Johnson Rd in Cornwall. I cannot locate info on the sections either before Essex Hill or after Johnson Road.

Any and all info is appreciated

Peaks
10-22-2008, 15:52
I thought that it could be used as a loop with the relocated AT. I think there is a book titled "Connecticut Trails Book" that should give you a definitive answer.

Peaks
10-22-2008, 15:56
Oops. Update that. Look for the Connecticut Walk Book West.

max patch
10-22-2008, 16:25
You used to be able to combine it with the AT and make a loop hike and you probably still can but my info is very dated so I'd verify with the CT ATC Club.

The blue blaze old AT is about 25 miles and combined with the AT makes about a 40 mile loop.

But, please, verify this with someone else as it has been a loooong time ago.

mikec
10-22-2008, 18:06
According to the 2008 Companion the Mohawk Trail starts at Guinea Brook, goes northeast and then rejoins the AT just west of Falls Village. I section hiked this area in June, 2008. I don't remember seeing the Guinea Brook junction but I did stay at the Cabins behind the restaurant in Falls Village, CT and took the Mohawk Trail back to the AT.