PDA

View Full Version : Roaring Fork shelter bear

Newb
10-22-2008, 12:12
there was a lot of chatter this past summer about the bear at roaring fork shelter:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=226737

Is this beasty still stalking food-bags there?

Marta
10-22-2008, 12:53
I don't think so. The shelters in that area--Roaring Fork and Walnut Mtn.--are sporting shiny new bear cables for hanging food.

Besides, bear season has been underway for more than a week now in NC.

Two Speed
10-22-2008, 12:55
Don't know that I'd count on bear season meaning all that much. A friend and I had a brief episode with a bear approaching camp last year, just past the Walnut Mtn shelter IIRC. Hunters all over the place, too.

Marta
10-22-2008, 13:08
I saw a bit of scat around Roaring Fork Shelter a few weeks ago, when I stopped in for a short break.

I camped near Walnut Mountain Shelter. Didn't see, hear, smell, or see any signs of bears.

Two Speed
10-22-2008, 15:33
Could be the hunters have got him, presuming the bear in question is male. The one we saw was right sassy about showing himself, and the one reported was downright bold, so he doesn't have a great future, if you get my drift.

Tennessee Viking
10-22-2008, 19:49
I came down the dirt road from Max Patch to Del Rio TN. There was about a huge group of hunters and radio-collared hunting dogs in Dec 07. If they couldn't get the Jumper (at Walnut) or RF Bear then, I don't think they will ever will. The bear especially at Walnut Mtn is too smart to be looking for trouble.

From one hiker account, he ran into about 5 bears from I40 to Hot Springs.

Captain Blue
10-22-2008, 21:45
I stopped in at Roaring Fork shelter last Saturday for a lunch break. There were bear hunters and hunting dogs in the vicinity. I doubt any bold bears remain in that area.