PDA

View Full Version : You got 2 weeks in spring, where do you go?

darkage
10-22-2008, 12:47
I'm working out a 2010 thru hike with the wife "She won't hike, but helps me plan" ... 2009 just cut things too short and not even money this coming year ... BUT! ... I got 2 weeks, give or take a few days in spring ... with this time i wanna hit a section of the trail for the full 2 weeks to get used to a serious long hike ... My choices i've been thinking about so far are ... 1: Starting at springer to fontana ... 2: grayson highlands/VA or 3: 100 Mile wilderness "which won't take 2 weeks" .. 7-10 days from what i hear, pending on skill lvl ...

Anyone suggest any of these 3 or one of there own perhaps ...

Thanks

Serial 07
10-22-2008, 12:57
grayson highlands, hands down...especially if you've never been there...

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 12:57
2. Start in Damascus and hike north for 2 weeks. Maybe shoot for Pearisburg. It's 160 miles

Serial 07
10-22-2008, 12:58
lol...that's what i was thinking ;)

A-Train
10-22-2008, 13:01
I'm working out a 2010 thru hike with the wife "She won't hike, but helps me plan" ... 2009 just cut things too short and not even money this coming year ... BUT! ... I got 2 weeks, give or take a few days in spring ... with this time i wanna hit a section of the trail for the full 2 weeks to get used to a serious long hike ... My choices i've been thinking about so far are ... 1: Starting at springer to fontana ... 2: grayson highlands/VA or 3: 100 Mile wilderness "which won't take 2 weeks" .. 7-10 days from what i hear, pending on skill lvl ...

Anyone suggest any of these 3 or one of there own perhaps ...

Thanks

The 100 mile wilderness is not a good place to be in spring: still snow, lots of mud, skeeters, melting streams, etc.

If I were planning a thru-hike for the following year I wouldn't do Springer to Fontana, but that's me. I saved Springer for my first step of my thru-hike, it was that much more special (same for why I never climbed Katahdin before hiking).

Grayson Highlands would be a good place to go, very pretty. If you're in Virginia in April or May you'll meet lots of thru's who can help you with your planning a bit. Damascus to Pearisburg, VA would be nice, pretty gentle, a chance to see what it's all about. Another option I'd offer is Daleville VA to Front Royal, VA. You should be able to do this in 2 weeks and includes the Shenendoahs, a nice easier section. The park will probably be a lot less crowded and more enjoyable then than in summer time. This section is also much closer to you in PA, so you won't have to waste multiple days of your vacation traveling.

Good luck and have fun.

darkage
10-22-2008, 13:39
More and more i think about it, i really think i wanna do grayson, which like you guys said, i was planing from damascus to pearisburg ..... i live in PA so the wife even offered to drop me off, pick me up ... I agree about starting in springer for a 2 week when i'm planing the thru in 2k10 would be somehow killing that vibe when i get there ... I wasn't aware of how damp/snow/muddy 100 wilderness was in spring ... now that i think about it ... yeah, i can see that now ... I'd like to do it around late april early may ... Will this be a good time to see horses and cows ? ... and whatever else is up there ... heh, i've got some incredible screen shots of that area which is one of the reasons i keep tellin the wife we need to move south .. =P

Kirby
10-22-2008, 13:44
The Grayson Highlands are out of this world. It's another section that's completely different from what you will see on the rest of the trail, highly suggest that section.

Don't forget to harass Wolf at Dot's, he's an encyclopedia of the Damascus region.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 14:01
More and more i think about it, i really think i wanna do grayson, which like you guys said, i was planing from damascus to pearisburg ... ... I'd like to do it around late april early may ... Will this be a good time to see horses and cows ? ... and whatever else is up there ... heh, i've got some incredible screen shots of that area which is one of the reasons i keep tellin the wife we need to move south .. =P

yup, plenty of ponies, cows and wannabe thru-hikers to be seen then

darkage
10-22-2008, 14:04
"wannabe" ... From what i've heard, most never make it past damascus ....

I will not fail!

darkage
10-22-2008, 14:09
ahh kirby, i missed your post ... yeah, thats on the list of things from WB i need to do ... There's a few guys off the top of my head i'd like to meet ... Too many to remember but to name a few would be Tipi walter/Lone wolf and Rain man ... Just from there posts/pictures and personality's regarding the forums ...

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 14:18
i ain't hard to find in damasskiss :)

Low Impact
10-22-2008, 14:19
Hey Man -

The GH is an incredible place - without question one of my favorite areas on the ENTIRE AT. Another awesome section would be from Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA.

This 120 stretch that will take you up and over BEAUTY SPOT, UNAKA MOUNTAIN, THE ROAN HIGHLANDS, ETC. You will also pass by one of my favorite shelters (Overmountain Barn) and one of my favorite hostels (Mountain Harbor).

I'm seriously hoping to re-hike this section sometime this November.

Whenever you end up going - enjoy it!

Happy Trails. :D

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2008, 14:56
Darkage: "Two weeks in Spring"? If it starts May 15th, go south from Baxter Park to Caratunk.

Kirby
10-22-2008, 15:15
I'm also considering hiking through this section SOBO next Spring, not sure though. GH is really.

Depending on the snow pack, there might be a trail open on Kathadin in mid-May, but you'd most likely have to start from the base or from Abol bridge. Also keep in mind that come mid-may, mainetainers are just starting to clear their section for the hiking season.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2008, 18:52
SW Virginia is great, so the Damascus to Pearisburg suggestion is a good one.

But if I had two weeks in the spring, tho, I'd go from Erwin TN to Mt. Rogers Headquarters near Marion VA. Or if you want to save a few days, go from Carver's Gap at the Northern end of Roan Mt. to MR HQ. This would bring you up and over the Roan Highlands, would take you thru Laurel Fork Gorge,
and also bring you thru the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area.

In less than two weeks, you'd see the finest A.T. views in the south; you'd get to stay at the loveliest shelter on the whole Trail (Overmountain);you'd visit the best hiker facility on the Trail (Kincora); you'd walk past the prettiest waterfall on the whole Trail (Laurel Fork); you'll pass some coool places to swim; you'll visit the friendliest town on the Trail(Damascus); you'd finish up walk thru the section of the Trail that more than 90% of thru-hikers describe as one of their favorite sections of the entire Trail (Grayson Highlands area).

If I had 2 weeks in the spring, this is what I'd do, and I've seen it all.

Oh, I almost forgot.

If there's a better burger platter than the one at Dot's Inn, I must have missed it. Jukebox ain't bad either.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2008, 19:09
Another possibility which overlaps with some other suggestions is starting at Hot Springs and hiking to Damascus - about 190 miles. I hiked most of this stretch in early May 2005 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97359) and enjoyed it immensely, especially the wildflowers. True, you miss Grayson Highlands but you pick up Big Bald and some lesser balds and still enjoy Beauty Spot, Unaka, Roan, Laurel Falls, and you finish with practically a stroll the last 30 miles after leaving sight of Watauga Lake.

sam4msu
10-22-2008, 20:05
I just left the Highlands last week and Let me tell you there is nothing else like it. I would not miss an opportunity to return!!!

Kirby
10-22-2008, 21:07
Oh, I almost forgot.

If there's a better burger platter than the one at Dot's Inn, I must have missed it. Jukebox ain't bad either.

Yep, best burger is at Dot's. If there's a tie, Dot's wins because Lone Wolf will keep you talking.

I like the idea of being dropped off at the top of Roan and going to north of the Grayson Highlands.

So many options.

Kirby

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2008, 21:38
Fly very far north .....

bredler
10-22-2008, 22:48
From May 10 or so for 12 days, I did a section from Atkins, VA south to Carver's Gap TN. It was a great hike and the weather was well-timed. You see watauga reservior, damascus, grayson highlands, lots of cool views and scenery changes. I was in Damascus during trail days and will probably not go back for the same event, but I'm glad I did it once I guess.

I think the section was about 165 miles and me and my buddy did it easy in 12 days, but we were meeting a ride so we had to hold back on the mileage. The whole of southern VA is beautiful and not too terrible as far as terrain goes.

bigcranky
10-23-2008, 08:05
If I had two weeks in the spring I would start in Damascus and hike Southbound to Erwin. This section starts out fairly easy, then crosses the NC balds. Spectacular. About 120 miles if I recall correctly.

Newb
10-23-2008, 12:19
I'm using my annual 2 weeks to continue hiking the trail. This year I'm doing Franklin to Newfound Gap (or further if possible.=)

Cookerhiker
10-23-2008, 13:13
I'm using my annual 2 weeks to continue hiking the trail. This year I'm doing Franklin to Newfound Gap (or further if possible.=)

With 2 weeks and even allowing for travel time from the DC area, I'm sure if you start at Franklin, you can make it to Davenport Gap.

darkage
10-24-2008, 13:28
SW Virginia is great, so the Damascus to Pearisburg suggestion is a good one.

But if I had two weeks in the spring, tho, I'd go from Erwin TN to Mt. Rogers Headquarters near Marion VA. Or if you want to save a few days, go from Carver's Gap at the Northern end of Roan Mt. to MR HQ. This would bring you up and over the Roan Highlands, would take you thru Laurel Fork Gorge,
and also bring you thru the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area.

In less than two weeks, you'd see the finest A.T. views in the south; you'd get to stay at the loveliest shelter on the whole Trail (Overmountain);you'd visit the best hiker facility on the Trail (Kincora); you'd walk past the prettiest waterfall on the whole Trail (Laurel Fork); you'll pass some coool places to swim; you'll visit the friendliest town on the Trail(Damascus); you'd finish up walk thru the section of the Trail that more than 90% of thru-hikers describe as one of their favorite sections of the entire Trail (Grayson Highlands area).

If I had 2 weeks in the spring, this is what I'd do, and I've seen it all.

Oh, I almost forgot.

I was looking at my guide book and pictures, i believe this sounds exactly what i'd like to do ... I see its cross' 6 streams between erwin and marion ... any you need to ford? Also, i've never camped above 2000 feet ... "i know i know" Sucks living in PA. Anyway, What kind of temps should i expect, and i read peak blossom times are around mid june ... Should i plan my trip a few weeks later ?

Thanks

A-Train
10-24-2008, 13:41
I was looking at my guide book and pictures, i believe this sounds exactly what i'd like to do ... I see its cross' 6 streams between erwin and marion ... any you need to ford? Also, i've never camped above 2000 feet ... "i know i know" Sucks living in PA. Anyway, What kind of temps should i expect, and i read peak blossom times are around mid june ... Should i plan my trip a few weeks later ?

Thanks

You will not need to ford any rivers in this area, bridges a plenty. In April and May night temps are usually in the 40-50 degree range, but it certainly can drop below freezing and snow is not uncommon. Be prepared! If you are really into wildflowers, you might wanna postpone it for June. But, it'll be much warmer (hot during the days) and the thru-hiker train will have passed.

darkage
10-24-2008, 14:32
You will not need to ford any rivers in this area, bridges a plenty. In April and May night temps are usually in the 40-50 degree range, but it certainly can drop below freezing and snow is not uncommon. Be prepared! If you are really into wildflowers, you might wanna postpone it for June. But, it'll be much warmer (hot during the days) and the thru-hiker train will have passed.

I don't get all girly about flowers no not really, but i think sitting up top of a bald mountain with blooming plant life around ya soaking up a morning sun and bringing back pictures of it all cause my wife won't hike and kids are alittle too young yet but like the pics i bring home .... I just simply don't get that stuff here in pa ... Thats why i was thinking of waiting a few weeks and just might ... Either way, i'd be prepared ...

Pootz
10-24-2008, 15:04
Since you already plan to thru hike, I say do 2 weeks in PA. You are from PA so the travel will be easy. Their are places to resupply so you can try that out. Might help you decide weather you want to do maildrops or not. I vote for not. If you start at the Maryland border you will get to do some nice trail and some rocks, you might even finish the whole state. Then during your thru hike when everyone is complaining about the rocks you will know they are not that bad. Do not tell them though, it will just cause them to complain about something else.

Save the great parts of the trail for you thru hike, it will give you something to look forward to.

darkage
10-24-2008, 16:08
The whole idea is to get outta PA, .... I really like the idea of being on a vacation more than near my home ... and i won't be doing maildrop's ... unless for items i can't get easily along the trail ... I've spent the last few years hiking nothing but PA rocks ... i fear nothing! ... heh, cept of course heights ... and from what i've seen in pictures and been told or read in stories on trail journels ... doing erwin to marion will be just as sweet the second time during the thru hike ... 180 miles outta 2200 or so for 2 weeks of peace .... oh yeah, i'm so heading out there ... heh

Cookerhiker
10-24-2008, 16:12
I'll reiterate and you can check my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97363) - you need not wait until June to see flowers. I'm no flower expert although I know that the famous flowering bushes (laurel, azelea, rhododendron) bloom in June or later but in early May, you'll see bluets, spring beauties, trillium, larkspur, others I don't know.