PDA

View Full Version : ATV Damage, Unionville, NY Area

rockdawg69
10-22-2008, 15:57
:mad:Just a note to alert the AT community that there is heavy ATV use on a section of trail just west of Unionville, NY. Weekend of 11/12 Oct had heavy use and damage to the trail. Be careful if you are in this area as hunting season is in for NJ. This is not a one-time event based on number of ATV trails in this State Forest.

LIhikers
10-26-2008, 19:32
A number of years ago my wiffe and I were hiking in NJ in that area.
All day we heard ATVs in the area, but never ran into them.
At the end of the day we were back at our car, changing our shoes and getting ready to drive home, and the sound of the ATVs got closer and closer. Just before they came down a hill to the road a NJ Park Ranger showed up, parked his vehicle, and got out. He stoped the ATV riders, talked to the 3 young men for a few minutes and then sent them on their way down the road. I don't know what he said to them but they didn't seem to be upset any and waved as they drove off. With enforcement like that there's no reason for the ATV riders to obey the rules. :mad:

Old Goat
10-26-2008, 19:42
I met a trail maintainer in that area in 2006. She said the local hiking club complained to the local authorities with little results. It was speculated the enforcement people were spotted long before they got to the area and the ATVs were long gone.
That section was pretty well damaged by ATVs back then.

rockdawg69
11-08-2008, 23:10
I called the ATC and suggested the ranger use a little "stealth" in going into the area, like no Gov't vehicle and plain clothes. You have to be sneaky to catch these folks, kind of like an old game warden.

Dwarftard
11-09-2008, 00:34
:welcome i s didsnt mens 2

gungho
11-09-2008, 00:36
:welcome i s didsnt mens 2
Atv's have no business on the trail

Dwarftard
11-09-2008, 00:37
:welcomei s sory :welcome

gungho
11-09-2008, 00:40