PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a "Ray Way" tarp

SDHiker
10-22-2008, 17:12
Hello one and all! I've just become a member and I have a question for those of you who have made a "Ray Way" tarp. I'm having troubles with attaching the beak to the body of the tarp. How do people get the second side of the beak sewn to the body with out problems with puckering of the material at the junction of the beak's flat felled seam and the body's flat felled seam? Also once stitched and the seam completed how will I be able to pass through a piece of webbing from the outside in when that material is all folded over in the flat felling of the joint? Thanks in advance. -SDHiker

Ziggy Trek
10-22-2008, 22:14
This is off topic but I was wondering:
Are you having problems with getting support from RAYWAY folks? The reason I ask is because I'm about to order the quilt kit (afraid I might get in the same boat with you).

SDHiker
10-23-2008, 01:39
Ziggy, I haven't tried to contact the Jardines. I did a search and saw that some people here had made the tarps and I thought I would ask for some help. I am finding that attaching the beak to the tarp body is confusing me despite the directions in the tarp book.

When I bought the kit a while ago I received prompt and friendly service from the Jardines. Hope that helps -SDHiker

Ziggy Trek
10-23-2008, 10:27
yea, definitely, there is alot of helpful folks around here that have made these. I'll step aside and learn a few things too when somebody answers you.

SDHiker
10-24-2008, 19:52
Ziggy, It looks like we are out of luck on this one. Good luck with you sewing projects. I'm going to be ordering a quilt kit and the new version of Jardine's book once I finish up the tarp. -SDHiker

Ziggy Trek
10-25-2008, 20:51
Ziggy, It looks like we are out of luck on this one. Good luck with you sewing projects. I'm going to be ordering a quilt kit and the new version of Jardine's book once I finish up the tarp. -SDHiker

I think they are over at Sgt. Rocks place:-?

SDHiker
10-25-2008, 21:07
I'm going to have another go at this beak to body seem right now. Depending on how that goes I may be running over to Sgt. Rock's site right quick! In fact I am sure I'll checking out Sgt. Rock's site. -SDHiker

ytsuejam
11-06-2008, 09:18
I'm not quite sure about the bunching you're having except to say maybe your alingment of the body and beak is not correct according to the book.

The webbing your are asking about is that the ridge pull webbing?
If so,you need to leave the half inch gap,at the ridge line,on both the tarp and beaks.This gap is where you pass the ridge line webbing through.Check page:151,(below the illustration) his"note"

Hope this helps.
Patrick

SDHiker
11-06-2008, 13:01
Patrick;

Thanks for the input. It was the gap for the ridge webbing material that was confusing me. I don't have the book with me at the moment but I did read and re-read the section several times. In the end I managed to figure it out. As I recall from the book Mr. Jardine says something to the effect of "just finish the flat felled seam" and I found it confusing since you need to sort of twist the beak relative to the tarp body to align the seam of the beak at an angle relative to the tarp body seam in order to get the edges to align properly.
After several attempts and judicious use of the seam ripper I managed to get it done.
I have now finished the tarp except for sealing the seams. Overall it was a great first sewing project, challenging but do-able for the beginner. I'm looking forward to completing the net tent and then a quilt after that.

SDHiker

P.S.: One helpful hint for me was to use a small piece of masking tape on the under side of the joint being made at the start of a seam. This really helped with tendency of the nylon to slide and bunch when back stitching. Once past the back stitching just sew away. When finished I tore the masking tape off of one side of the stitching line and then it easily pulled out of the other side. You only want painter's masking tape for this since it tears very easily.

Ziggy Trek
11-17-2008, 01:13
So, after all that work can you post any pictures of your new tarp?

SDHiker
11-17-2008, 13:11
Ziggy Trek;

Unfortunately my digital camera has died. When I get it replaced I'll figure out how to post photos and get some posted.

SDHiker

jesse
11-17-2008, 14:37
I have made two tarps, two backpacks, and 2 quilts. One suggestion I would offer on the quilts is to sew the two pieces of nylon together first, then sew the isulation to those two pieces. Should be easier to do than trying to sew the three pieces together at one time.

Ziggy Trek
11-17-2008, 21:17
I have made two tarps, two backpacks, and 2 quilts. One suggestion I would offer on the quilts is to sew the two pieces of nylon together first, then sew the isulation to those two pieces. Should be easier to do than trying to sew the three pieces together at one time.
I plan to start my first quilt in a month or so. Hope you don't mind if etch your name on the sewing machine for when the time comes to start whining and asking questions.:-?