PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Trails vs Katahdin?

Texasgirl
10-22-2008, 18:45
Another thread in Straight Forward asks what's the toughest trails in the Southeast. Some of those in the forum sound pretty hairy - but also fun most likely. My experience on mountain scrambling/hiking is Long's Peak and others in the Rockies and also Katahdin from Baxter S.P. Some places on Katahdin were definitely quad-burners and a relentless march up up up.

So, help me with a reference point on how "hard" some of those in the Toughest Trails list are as compared to the hike up Katahdin (whether it be elevation gain, bouldering, or just exhausting)

Lone Wolf
10-22-2008, 20:29
firewarden trails in maine are tougher than any whiteblaze trails in maine. of course 99% of hikers never walk them. the AT is easy all the way

Mags
10-22-2008, 20:58
Toughest Trails? Sounds like a Discovery Channel reality show!

TOUGHEST TRAILS! We take 10 hikes and put them to the test on America's Toughest Trails!!!!

Cue cool sounding music....

:D

The original thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31785 in case people are curious....

Lesse, Katahdin is almost 10 miles r/t and 4200' elev gain (according to some Google internet searches) A stiff hike by any standard. For comparison, Longs Peak via the Key Hole route is 14 miles and 5100' elev gain. Not bad for an Eastern Mtn to say the least.

Take the hikes mentioned in the thread and figure out the elev gain and mileage and plan accordingly. Katahdin is also above treeline, has some minor scrambling via ladder rungs and that can affect "hardness" of a trail in the right conditions as well.

Take the "Three ridges trail" that someone mentioned.

That is 14 miles and and almost 4000' elev gain. Longer than the big K, but not as steep. http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ThreeRidges/

A better comparison may be the Mt. Mitchell Tail. A mtn for mtn comparison.
http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ThreeRidges/
11 miles r/t and ~3700' elev gain. Again, longer mileage. But more gradual.

I'd google more of the hikes. Some people do not mind steep climbing but hate long hikes. Or Visa Versa. Google the hikes listed and see what the raw stats give you. Judge accordingly based upon your preference and what you consider hard.

Elev gain, for me, is the part of the equation most people miss.

If you want a really stiff hike, go off trail. :eek:

Low Impact
10-22-2008, 21:24
One of the most difficult and aggressive hikes I had on my entire THRU was actually NOT on the AT. After summiting the BIG K - myself and a few others hiked across The Knife's Edge to Paloma Peak. From PP we took the Dudley Trail down to Chimney Pond. I don't know the exact specs on this trail (ie: elevation loss/gain or mileage) but JESUS - when I got down my knees were burning in ways that I hadn't ever felt before.

Enjoy!

Tipi Walter
10-22-2008, 21:29
I'd say the toughest thing about the Katahdin climb is having to listen to the Tent Police and not being able to climb it in the winter or camp anywhere along it's length or up top. Sad end to a glorious thru. But maybe this has all changed . . .

rafe
10-23-2008, 01:25
I'd say the toughest thing about the Katahdin climb is having to listen to the Tent Police and not being able to climb it in the winter or camp anywhere along it's length or up top. Sad end to a glorious thru. But maybe this has all changed . . .

Quick, call the waaaambulance. ;) I wouldn't want to camp anywhere near Katahdin summit -- it's just a gnarly jumble of big, jagged rocks. Totally exposed. Treeless. Waterless. I'd rather be in the woods, in a clearing with a view. As I understand it, you can climb K. any time of year -- if you can convince Mister Ranger that you've got the goods. IMO, "limited access" has worked out well for Baxter and Katahdin. I respect what they're doing there.

fiddlehead
10-23-2008, 05:35
Quick, call the waaaambulance. ;) I wouldn't want to camp anywhere near Katahdin summit -- it's just a gnarly jumble of big, jagged rocks. Totally exposed. Treeless. Waterless. I'd rather be in the woods, in a clearing with a view.

Mmm. Last time i was up there. There was a spring AND a view.

I prefer to camp away from water (get's too damp and loud if you are close)
On top of mountains is the best. IMO

Red Hat
10-23-2008, 10:41
... the AT is easy all the way Maybe for a Marine, but not for me, especially not Maine!

The Solemates
10-23-2008, 12:10
if you want tough trails, try peakbagging rather than 'hiking' trails

Mags
10-23-2008, 14:53
Hiking off trail in general will give you an experience that is more difficult. You don't have to peakbag to get a harder experience.

At least in Colorado, I usually avoid the high points (14ers) as they are too crowded and even "off trail" experiences have social trails. Of course, the trail less 13ers are another ball of wax. They are usually more difficult than the majority of the 14ers. And definitely less crowded. :)

Hiking for difficulty is not why I hike. I hike because I enjoy it. By coincidence, some of the hardest hikes are also sometimes the most enjoyable. And sometimes these hikes do not end at a peak, but a remote valley or a trail-less ridge

YMMV

Kirby
10-23-2008, 15:06
As Wolf said, Fire Warden's trails are quite difficult. They are always steep, and they always go straight up.

Kirby

mudhead
10-23-2008, 19:05
As Wolf said, Fire Warden's trails are quite difficult. They are always steep, and they always go straight up.

Kirby

Can't be wasting time, when you commute.

Texasgirl
10-23-2008, 21:27
Hiking off trail in general will give you an experience that is more difficult. You don't have to peakbag to get a harder experience.

At least in Colorado, I usually avoid the high points (14ers) as they are too crowded and even "off trail" experiences have social trails. Of course, the trail less 13ers are another ball of wax. They are usually more difficult than the majority of the 14ers. And definitely less crowded. :)

Hiking for difficulty is not why I hike. I hike because I enjoy it. By coincidence, some of the hardest hikes are also sometimes the most enjoyable. And sometimes these hikes do not end at a peak, but a remote valley or a trail-less ridge

YMMV

Ditto the crowds in RMNP. The not-frequently-traveled trails on the northwest side I enjoyed more. I didn't pose the question for fear of a "hard" hike (cuz they are all FUN!), or to avoid them, or seek them. I enjoy the hike, the experience just because (and the views and peace). I just wanted some context because I've got no clue about the trail or mountains on the east coast other than K.

Texasgirl
10-23-2008, 21:29
Okay, I screwed up. The other thread I'm referring to is the Hardest Trails in the SE thread - of which places like Coosa, Roan, Slickcreek (right?), etc., are all mentioned. Having no experience on the south end of the AT, I was just curious as a point of reference, how those in that thread compared to Katahdin. No biggie.

Mags
10-23-2008, 21:44
. I just wanted some context because I've got no clue about the trail or mountains on the east coast other than K.

Overall, I think elev gain and mileage is the best way to gauge a hardness of a hike. Obviously exposure, altitude and other factors can impact upon a hike. Still, elev gain and mileage is quick and easy way to eyeball the difficulty of a hike IMO.

As for RMNP, I find the best places I've been to have been off trail. It is amazing what happens once you get off trail. Valleys no one sees, peaks that are hardly seen and not a person for miles around.

Good stuff.

johnny quest
10-23-2008, 22:19
in addition to mileage and elevation gain i think the existence, or in the case of the maine a.t. , lack of switchbacks should be considered. sure, switchbacks add to mileage, but they sure save the knees.

mudhead
10-24-2008, 04:27
I just wanted some context because I've got no clue about the trail or mountains on the east coast other than K.

One thing I did for context/comparison.

Go into the Gallery, take a peek at the trail footpath/bed in different areas. Walking through hardwoods, with a path you could run a wheelbarrow up, vs some pics of PA rocks.