PDA

View Full Version : Stealth camp sites

rmtjr
03-25-2004, 01:58
Can I rely on readily finding stealth campsites (using Ray Jardine's term) between Springer and say, the GA/NC border?

I ask because -- IF (and this is a big "IF") I get to do any of the AT this year it will be a fall section hike starting from Springer. I plan to go slow, very slow at first and I just may not make it from shelter to shelter or from shelter to prepared campsite. I'm planning on four mpd and certainly not more than six mpd until I feel up to it.

At 65 years old I'm in no hurry, I have no distance/time goals and I am using this hike for the outing itself. I'll leave the trail when I feel like it. No particular goal in mind, except to spend an amount of time on the trail that I consider acceptable. What ever "acceptable" turns out to be. Then too central Texas is not a mountain hiking mecca. The steepest elevation gain in the county is over a three mile stretch with a gain of about 400'. We're not talking extreme here.

So my practice mountain hiking is going to be on the AT and I'm going to work into it. One night on the AT in New Jersey almost 20 years ago and a couple of trips in Rocky Mountain National Park have me concerned that Ray's ideal stealth camp sites might be few and far between.

Lilred
03-25-2004, 08:08
Can I rely on readily finding stealth campsites (using Ray Jardine's term) between Springer and say, the GA/NC border?

I ask because -- IF (and this is a big "IF") I get to do any of the AT this year it will be a fall section hike starting from Springer. I plan to go slow, very slow at first and I just may not make it from shelter to shelter or from shelter to prepared campsite. I'm planning on four mpd and certainly not more than six mpd until I feel up to it.

At 65 years old I'm in no hurry, I have no distance/time goals and I am using this hike for the outing itself. I'll leave the trail when I feel like it. No particular goal in mind, except to spend an amount of time on the trail that I consider acceptable. What ever "acceptable" turns out to be. Then too central Texas is not a mountain hiking mecca. The steepest elevation gain in the county is over a three mile stretch with a gain of about 400'. We're not talking extreme here.

So my practice mountain hiking is going to be on the AT and I'm going to work into it. One night on the AT in New Jersey almost 20 years ago and a couple of trips in Rocky Mountain National Park have me concerned that Ray's ideal stealth camp sites might be few and far between.

I recently did Neels Gap to Deep Gap, N.C. I saw plenty of tent sites along the way. I don't think you'll have much trouble.

Try doing what is called a 'rest step' as you climb. I read about this in someone's journal. Take a step, then rest. This takes the weight off of your muscles and puts in back on the bones. Just the split second of taking the work off the muscles really helps. I used this method going up Tray Mountain, only I did two steps then rested. I felt like I was waltzing up the mountain. :banana

Enjoy your hike and take as much time as you need.

deeddawg
03-25-2004, 08:27
To add to rmtjr's post, there's also plenty of camp sites from Amicalola to Neel's gap as well. Note that many of them will be "dry" camps, but that shouldn't be an issue.

There's some info on the "rest step" technique on the web, google for "mountaineering rest step"

What I also find helps a lot on those long uphills is to make a conscious breathing effort, sort of "active breathing" instead of the usual passive breathing we do. What works great for me is to consider each step as a "beat" and inhale deeply for two beats, exhale deeply for two beats, repeat. I'm no medical expert, but it seems like this technique puts more oxygen in the blood and helps cut down on lactic acid buildup in the muscles -- whatever the actual reason I find I don't get out of breath when I do this, the rest-step, and just plod on up the hill. Obviously this may not work for everyone. :jump

Jersey Bob
03-25-2004, 08:59
at least 10 characters

Frosty
03-25-2004, 09:08
What I also find helps a lot on those long uphills is to make a conscious breathing effort, sort of "active breathing" instead of the usual passive breathing we do. What works great for me is to consider each step as a "beat" and inhale deeply for two beats, exhale deeply for two beats, repeat. I'm no medical expert, but it seems like this technique puts more oxygen in the blood and helps cut down on lactic acid buildup in the muscles -- whatever the actual reason I find I don't get out of breath when I do this, the rest-step, and just plod on up the hill. Obviously this may not work for everyone. :jump

I find myself sucking wind sometimes on steep uphills, and what I do wrong (I believe) is to breathe too shallowly, especially the exhale. If I stop for a moment and breathe consciously, with an extra "force out" at the end of each exhale, I get my wind back quicker.

Speer Carrier
03-25-2004, 12:10
Between Amicalola Falls Visitor's Center, and the GA/NC border, there are 14 shelters placed an average of 5.7 miles apart. The greatest distance is between Gooch and Woods Hole which is 11.9 miles. However, in between the shelters are numerous existing camp sites at Gaps with water available nearby, and usually fire rings. In addition, I have found that there are any number of other suitable places to stealth camp. And finally, there is Neels Gap with a hostel and other road crossings with access to towns. I can't think of a section of the AT that would offer more flexibility to take ones time and just amble along.

Skink

Kerosene
03-25-2004, 12:59
You might also try the "lock step" when going uphill, which is similar to the rest step mentioned by Lilredmg. As you climb a steep grade, try to complete the step up by locking your knee in place, letting your knee handle the weight rather than your quadricep. You can rest in that position if need be or just move on to the next step until you need a rest.

rmtjr
03-25-2004, 21:03
Thanks so much for everyone's kind input. I think that I can pretty much hike the hike I planned.

cabalot
03-30-2004, 22:24
I recently did Neels Gap to Deep Gap, N.C. I saw plenty of tent sites along the way. I don't think you'll have much trouble.

Try doing what is called a 'rest step' as you climb. I read about this in someone's journal. Take a step, then rest. This takes the weight off of your muscles and puts in back on the bones. Just the split second of taking the work off the muscles really helps. I used this method going up Tray Mountain, only I did two steps then rested. I felt like I was waltzing up the mountain. :banana

Enjoy your hike and take as much time as you need.

i have tried this and it is well worth taking the extra time to rest. breathing deeply and slowly is important too, this helps get oxygen to the muscle tissue. you also get a chance to look around and see more of nature. take a gulp of water and stay hydrated. muscle fatigue will hit you much later in your hike. bring some food other than just dehydrated stuff, like some wisconson chedder cheese and a bottle of red wine in a platypus. its worth the weight.