PDA

View Full Version : What up this weekend?

BumpJumper
10-22-2008, 19:10
I have the whole weekend off and need to get to the woods. Kicking around a few ideas but is anyone else itching to hit the woods near me?

GeneralLee10
10-23-2008, 16:25
Sorry, I just did the Juniper to Hidden Pond this past weekend. Have some pics posted on me profile. Ran into some interesting people though would like to meet more.

BumpJumper
10-23-2008, 21:04
Awh, Mt. Dora. How nice. Hope to meet you one day.

tucker0104
10-28-2008, 20:39
Are there any good day hikes on the florida trail. It would have to be a there and back in a day.

BumpJumper
10-28-2008, 20:57
Yeah there are. Where are you looking at doing one?

tucker0104
10-29-2008, 14:17
Not real sure yet. Probably next weekend. Do you have any that you recommend?

BumpJumper
10-29-2008, 15:11
I only know of some locally to me.

tucker0104
10-29-2008, 18:31
What are their names?

Gray Blazer
10-29-2008, 18:55
BJ, what's up with that Marjorie Carr Trail that passes over I-75? There's supposed to be some trail along the old FL Barge Canal Route. Do you know anything about that?

jnetx
10-29-2008, 20:28
BJ, what's up with that Marjorie Carr Trail that passes over I-75? There's supposed to be some trail along the old FL Barge Canal Route. Do you know anything about that?

Not BJ, but I know this one!

It's called the FL Trail GB! ;) It's the western corridor, comes up through Green Swamp and the Withlacoochee state bike trail to Dunellon, then road walk to Pruitt Trailhead where the CRoss Florida Greenway begins. The FT the follws the Greenway along the old canal workings, including going over the interstate on that nice purpose built bridge, then to Santos, Belleview, and finally exits the Greenway at Marshall swamp. A short road wlk connects into Ocala NF, then the trail goes up through ONF and connects with the eastern connector just south of Store 88.

Feel free to ask if you need to know anything else about this area. Some of my favorite easily accessible hiking in that stretch, so I know it pretty well.

Gray Blazer
10-30-2008, 07:55
Not BJ, but I know this one!

It's called the FL Trail GB! ;) It's the western corridor, comes up through Green Swamp and the Withlacoochee state bike trail to Dunellon, then road walk to Pruitt Trailhead where the CRoss Florida Greenway begins. The FT the follws the Greenway along the old canal workings, including going over the interstate on that nice purpose built bridge, then to Santos, Belleview, and finally exits the Greenway at Marshall swamp. A short road wlk connects into Ocala NF, then the trail goes up through ONF and connects with the eastern connector just south of Store 88.

Feel free to ask if you need to know anything else about this area. Some of my favorite easily accessible hiking in that stretch, so I know it pretty well.

Where are some good places to access around there, like (I'm thinking) off SR 200 or 441/301? Around Belleview? I've done a little in Citrus County at Holder mine.

jnetx
10-30-2008, 11:02
Where are some good places to access around there, like (I'm thinking) off SR 200 or 441/301? Around Belleview? I've done a little in Citrus County at Holder mine.

There are several trailheads to access. The best online source for the information and maps may be the Cross Florida Greenway site at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/cfgtrails.htm at the bottom of each map are directions to the trailhead parking.

The first map listed is a mountain biking trail, but the next 5 cover the info for the FT and other trails across the Greenway eastward from Marshall Swamp to CR484. The only missing part that they dont' seem to have a map for access to Pruitt. That section is about 9 linear miles. There is no parking on SR200, but there is an equestrian campsite there I think Ross Prairie, where you could park a car and walk back out to the trail crossing on SR200, or if someone is around they could point you the way through to the trail, I'm sure. You can't camp there in a tent, something about health regs and horses, didn't make sense to me, but I was not arguing. Pruitt trailhead is off SR 484 about 5 miles east of Dunellon on the south side of the road. It's marked with a small "Pruitt" sign. The turning itself is between the airport and the turn to Rainbow Springs SP (both on the north side). The dirt road goes about 1/2 mile down to a parking area with port a potty and picnic tables. The trailhead is heavily used by horsey people some weekends. No camping there.

For most of the length of the Greenway there are 3 trails, hiking, biking, and equestrian, so even though everyone is out there enjoying it, it's quite rare to have trail conflict, though, of course there are always a few who cross trails, so I did see signs of horses and bikes on the hiking trail.

The 49th st trailhead has a designated backpacker c/s not far from the trailhead. No water there, but close enough to the parking lot to carry in.

From a hiking pov, the western end is like a treed ridge walk as you go up on what I assumed was the dirt they removed from the canal diggings. There was even a switchback in there! North of SR484 you see actual chunks of rock, you know how rare those are in FL, and you're actually quite close to the encroaching sprawling development of western Ocala, so there are more folks out walking dogs, etc.

From 49th st across the land bridge and on to santos is probably the most likely place to encounter bikers, the trails get close together to cross the N/S and E/W running roads as it winds generally SW to NE. There is a pay campground at Santos. Definitely a place not to be if they are having a big mountain biking event! West of Santos you cross US27/441. In the middle of the crossing (the road splits with nobo and sobo traffic lanes about 10th mile apart) there is some massive abandoned piers that assumably were going to be the bridge crossing over the canal. After that, still going west there is a short section of road walk before you get back in the woods. When you re-emerge at Baseline road there is a county park, and the trail follows the paved bike trail for a while. Lots of biking/jogging/family use out there. The last part from where you split off the bike trail at baseline and back in to the woods to Marshall swamp is a gorgeous little hike. It's hardwood swamp. I love it early in the morning. Lots of bugs, but a really nice walk. A lot of this portion of the trail is gravel, couple of bridges, etc. Again, very close to Ocala/Silver Springs sprawl, so quite a lot of dog walkers, but a greta hike. There is a marked loop trail here (the FL trail follows one side of it) that would make a nice short day hike.

At Marshall the FL Trail follows CR315 n for a couple of miles before jumping back into the ONF at an obscure little break in the trees with no trailhead or parking.

Gray Blazer
10-30-2008, 12:34
Thanks Jnetx......Those directions are a great help and I am familiar with most of the roads and towns. I know where those giant piers are so that helps me a lot. Thanks again.

jnetx
10-30-2008, 14:10
Thanks Jnetx......Those directions are a great help and I am familiar with most of the roads and towns. I know where those giant piers are so that helps me a lot. Thanks again.

No problem. Some nice little trail hikes in that area. Marshall swamp is definitely my favorite for easy access and nice trail. The directions to that trailhead are actually the ones listed as Sharpes Ferry in that documentation. From the intersection of SR 35 (Baseline Road) and Hwy 314. Go east on 314 approximately 2 miles. Trailhead is behind Greenways building on right.

Gray Blazer
10-30-2008, 14:19
No problem. Some nice little trail hikes in that area. Marshall swamp is definitely my favorite for easy access and nice trail. The directions to that trailhead are actually the ones listed as Sharpes Ferry in that documentation. From the intersection of SR 35 (Baseline Road) and Hwy 314. Go east on 314 approximately 2 miles. Trailhead is behind Greenways building on right.

Is Sharpe's Ferry on The Ocklawaha? I've been wanting to check out that section near Santos because I heard about the Mountain bike trails and I figured there must be at least some small hills. I can't believe there is actually a switchback in FL. That's crazy. I've been to that 88 store just from some of my exploring in ONF. There are some good hills near Umatilla. There's even a Thrill Hill Road off 44(?) or one of those East/West highways.

BumpJumper
10-30-2008, 17:51
Hey, does anyone want to go this weekend? Bluegill and me are going for a day hike Saturday, Nov 1
Email me if you want to hook up. We are going to the Alexander area I believe.

jnetx
10-30-2008, 19:34
Is Sharpe's Ferry on The Ocklawaha?
There is an old metal bridge over the Oklawaha on 314 just north of the Greenways office. I think that's Sharpe's Ferry Bridge. I don't think there is public access from the Marshall swamp area though.

Yes there are some hills in the Santos area.

BumpJumper
10-31-2008, 22:08
What Gray, you dont want to join us tomorrow? We have to pick up a couple of guys around Juniper for a shuttle to Alexander then we are off. Anyone?:-?

Gray Blazer
10-31-2008, 22:50
What Gray, you dont want to join us tomorrow? We have to pick up a couple of guys around Juniper for a shuttle to Alexander then we are off. Anyone?:-?

Thanks for the invite. I've got a lot to do around the house. Have fun.

BumpJumper
11-01-2008, 18:56
Well Bluegill and I did the hike from Farles Prarie to Juniper. I am beat. I will write about it later.

floridahikes
11-08-2008, 23:22
We spent the day at Ocali Country Days festival today so no hiking. Tomorrow we're headed to the CFG probably at Ross Prairie.

Cheers, Navigator

floridahikes
11-09-2008, 14:09
Just back from Ross Prairie. Beautiful day for it! Will post a video later this week.

BumpJumper
11-09-2008, 16:54
Where was that at Sandy?

floridahikes
11-09-2008, 19:21
It's the FT loop at Ross Prairie Trailhead off SR 200 south of CR 484 on the Cross Florida Greenway. I helped Ken Smith blaze it oh, about 5-6 years ago. Part of it was my section of trail I adopted when I lived out that way. Short hike (3.5 miles) but we took a long time doing photos, audio, video, and a little trail maintenance. Lots of habitats to pass through. We saw no other hikers but plenty of folks on horseback using the paralleling horse trails.

BumpJumper
11-10-2008, 17:46
Dang. I miss all the good stuff. I also missed the fall festival at Silver River this weekend.:mad:

wahoo
11-10-2008, 20:56
Ross Prairie is cool. I used to run out there every few weeks between Pruitt and Ross Prairie, back before I mangled my ankle mountain biking at Santos. Lots of Holly trees there, if I remember correctly.

BumpJumper
11-11-2008, 14:40
Kevin, Are you doing the Flat Island Hike/backpacking trip this weekend? FTA event.

JaxHiker
11-11-2008, 16:16
I'll be at Ocean Pond doing the chainsaw cert course this weekend. w00t! I already think I'm pretty good when it comes to sawing logs. This should be a breeze. :)

wahoo
11-11-2008, 18:38
Kevin, Are you doing the Flat Island Hike/backpacking trip this weekend? FTA event.

Probably not, I have to go to Hillsborough River State Park on Saturday, what's going on out at Flat Island? I love Flat Island!

BumpJumper
11-11-2008, 18:51
We are going to hike and camp. A reporter is coming along to do a write up on it.

November 15: Back Pack Seminar: If you are interested in backpacking, this
is the seminar for you. Joan Hobson will be in the parking area at Flat
Island Preserve, off CR 25A on Owens Road, just South of Leesburg. Meet at
10:00. Bring chair, bug spray, lunch, drinks. Rain or shine. We will
cover backpacking equipment with samples. 352-394-5472 Call after 8:00 PM
if you need information. Open to the Public

November 15/16: Overnight Backpack Trip: After the seminar, there will be
a backpacking trip for those who want to try out their new skills. Meet at
10:00 at Flat Island Preserve, off CR25A on Owens Road. You may bring your
own equipment or I have some to share. Rain or shine. For information on
the overnight portion, send a self addressed stamped envelope only, if you
wish to spend the night. Joan Hobson P. O. Box 1296 Minneola, FL 34755
Limit 8 campers.

November 15: Hike and Moonlight Pot Luck A new trail is open in the Lake
Norris area that sports extraordinary views of cliffs, lakes, and lots of
birds and flowers. We have spotted many deer and turkeys on this hike and
seen bear prints too. We will meet at 2:30p.m. to shuttle cars and then hike
approx 4.5 miles in from the new trailhead to the camp at Lake Norris where
we can watch the sun set and have a moonlit pot luck dinner. There are some
benches and 2 tables, but you may want to bring a chair. Afterwards we'll
hike the rest of the way out under the moon beams. We should be out of the
woods around 9ish. Part of this hike will be on a multi use/horse trail.

Anyone wishing to camp at Lake Norris may do so but must let me know ahead
of time so that I may include you on the permit. This is a primitive camp
with a fire ring, table, metal barn, water source but you need to bring
drinking water.

Please R.S.V.P. to Diane Dammiller at [email protected] ([email protected]) or 352-205-9620 for
directions and advise me of what you'll be bringing for dinner. We will
have plates, silverware and drinks. Bring water, bug spray, flashlight.
This hike is rated moderate. Public welcomed.

wahoo
11-11-2008, 19:01
Hey, thanks for the information. Sounds cool! Too bad I gotta do the Hillsborough thing, or else I'd join ya.

Anything else coming up?

BumpJumper
11-11-2008, 19:05
Yeah we need another guy or two. We are going with a reporter and photographer from the local paper and so far it is just us three ladies with the two men. And you know they aint gona know squat about hiking.:eek:

floridahikes
11-11-2008, 19:29
Dang! Wish I could be there. Just saw your email. I am giving a talk (on hiking, of course!) at the Wilderness Trekkers Annual Conference here at Silver River State Park this Sat afternoon. If you are hiking Flat Island in the morning I could join you, but no way to stick around late. :mad:

You think the skeeters are dead yet? I don't know many other spots worse than Flat Island for 'em except the Everglades. ;-)

Cheers, Navigator

Mercy
11-11-2008, 19:38
Where is Flat Island? I live on a flat island.....

wahoo
11-11-2008, 21:20
Flat Island is over in Lake County, right outside of Leesburg. Trail's like 3 miles long, really nice, but the skeeters can be overwhelming.
I don't think there's ever a time when the skeeters aren't bad there. Maybe right after a freeze, perhaps, but every time I've been there they have been bad.
Hogs root up the place pretty good, too.

BumpJumper
11-11-2008, 22:09
I dont know if I am up for all them skeeters yet. I am just recovering from the chiggers.:eek:

wahoo
11-14-2008, 00:21
Was in Leesburg today for an appointment and stopped by Flat Island to see what's up with the skeeter situation.
Uh, like usual, they are buzzing pretty good. Otherwise, the place looks great. Sometimes the hogs rip up the trail, but didn't see any major damage anywhere.
Man, I'd love to be there this weekend! Oh well, maybe next time....

BumpJumper
11-14-2008, 08:54
Thanks Kevin for checking that out. We have already decided to cancel this trip. Rain is expected for the entire hike, the temps are going to be record highs and I know the skeeters are going to be in "hog" heaven...so we canceled.
I am disappointed. Who is going someplace else this weekend that isnt expecting rain?:sun
Kevin what is going on at the state Park?
Sandy, what is going on at silver river?

wahoo
11-14-2008, 11:20
Hillsborough River State Park is hosting a Leave No Trace awareness workshop. Should be pretty cool, although the awareness workshops are geared more towards getting kids familiar with the 7 LNT principles. But adults come away with a lot of useful information as well.
Great organization, support Leave No Trace!
http://www.lnt.org/

wahoo
11-14-2008, 13:38
BTW - I've got a video of Flat Island in case anyone is interested.
Sorry to hear about the hike getting canceled, but maybe I'll be able to make the next one now!
http://wahoohiker.com/2008/11/14/flat-island-preserve-and-the-daubenmire-trail/

jnetx
11-15-2008, 10:41
I know the skeeters are going to be in "hog" heaven...so we canceled.

Bump. How many times do I have to say the words?

...Lemon Eucalyptus

Look for it in the sports section at Wally word, or sports authority or order online. It's awesome stuff. I'm not saying I never get a bite, because it does sweat off eventually, but the bites remind me to reapply. I've never had problems with ticks, chiggers, etc and you know they've been out there when I am! :eek:

slow
11-15-2008, 20:27
Any open for a Juniper hike next weekend?

BumpJumper
11-15-2008, 22:19
Uh....yeah! So give us some details Slow.

J....I will look for it.

BumpJumper
11-25-2008, 21:16
Well this weekend me and the girls are headed up to the ONF to do a weekender.....Cant wait. Hope my new HH comes in before Friday!!!

wahoo
11-25-2008, 22:08
Heck yea! I love my Hennessy Hammock. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear. Have you tried a hammock in colder weather? Make sure you are prepared..!

BumpJumper
11-26-2008, 00:17
No but I have gotten lots of advise from the forums.
With you in Florida, what can you tell me?

GeneralLee10
11-26-2008, 00:25
I will be in the Great! Juniper Wilderness this weekend hanging. Should be leaving @ crack-O-dawn Sat. morning if I can't make it Friday night.

wahoo
11-26-2008, 09:37
No but I have gotten lots of advise from the forums.
With you in Florida, what can you tell me?

Same as most other places. Make sure you at least have a pad and a lower than what's typically needed sleeping bag. If it's 45 degrees, and your bag is rated at 45 degrees, up in a hammock you'll need a bag for lower temps.

You'll have to play around with what works for you, but the HH is awesome, especially for us here in Florida. I typically use a Zlite pad and a 20 degree bag in colder weather, haven't had too much problems with the pad sliding out from underneath.

BumpJumper
11-26-2008, 22:26
Thanks Kev.

Ind....I just im'd you.

BumpJumper
11-27-2008, 21:08
Awh piss pot pete....we aint goin hiking....I went out and bought me a dang fifth wheel RV and we are gona "slack pack" it if I can get my hitch put on tomorrow....BUMMER! We can make it another time. I cant wait to try out the new RV....:banana

wahoo
11-27-2008, 23:49
A fifth wheel? Cool! We've got a 36' travel trailer, but are looking at getting a self-contained RV soon. I need one of those big 'ol buses....
Let me know how you like the fifth wheel. Where'd ya get it?

BumpJumper
11-28-2008, 09:22
From a gal down the road from me. It is in GREAT shape. I will post a pic of her.

slow
11-29-2008, 20:18
Bump ,Found out after a hike a 300# bear took a cooler full at juniper last sat... when i come back.The next day i was 10 ft from him.

BumpJumper
11-29-2008, 23:03
A cooler full of WHAT? No one should be leaving their coolers out anyways..:-?

slow
11-29-2008, 23:52
A cooler full of WHAT? No one should be leaving their coolers out anyways..:-?

A Full load of food he just added that day.I seen and talked to the man and then told jim ....that runs the place what went on.He is a big old bear they call teddy that just started coming around.I was 10 ft from him the next day and he seemed like a pet.

JaxHiker
11-30-2008, 00:00
We had a bear next to our site when I was at Juniper in Sept. After he wandered off I climbed in my hammock and went to sleep. Some of the others were freaked and stayed in their cars. After watching "Bear Feeding Frenzy" on Discovery they weren't any safer. Two black bears fought their way into a van and spent 2 hours ripping it to shreds trying to find food. :eek:

slow
11-30-2008, 00:08
we Had A Bear Next To Our Site When I Was At Juniper In Sept. After He Wandered Off I Climbed In My Hammock And Went To Sleep. Some Of The Others Were Freaked And Stayed In Their Cars. After Watching "bear Feeding Frenzy" On Discovery They Weren't Any Safer. Two Black Bears Fought Their Way Into A Van And Spent 2 Hours Ripping It To Shreds Trying To Find Food. :eek:

Funny Stuff.:d

GeneralLee10
11-30-2008, 12:24
When I was on a hike from Clearwater Lake to Alexander about a month ago. As soon as I just started to fall asleep a bear sounded like a BIG one came right up to me just behind my head. Was breathing hard scared the living $#^! out of me needless to say I did not sleep that night. When I was out this weekend came across some Big piles of poop seem to be a bears. Never would have thought one would have to hang a food bag in Ocala guess do to development in surrounding areas things change. We have bears in our town seen them before just few months ago I can't believe this could get worse.

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 19:06
Ind....
Trailtalker, Bluegill and myself did that same hike last weekend and yes, BIG POOP!!!! ( I now have this poop fettish)
I dont think they would hurt you if you just let out a blood curdling scream. I know I would have felt better...:D

JaxHiker
11-30-2008, 22:43
I didn't hang food in Ocala but I did in Osceola. I wonder if you poop bigger than the bear if it'll make them think twice. :D

GeneralLee10
12-01-2008, 18:10
I didn't hang food in Ocala but I did in Osceola. I wonder if you poop bigger than the bear if it'll make them think twice. :D

Long as you do it in the middle of the trail and do it Quick so no one walks up on you crouched down grunting with a read face. Lmao! :banana

tom_alan
12-01-2008, 19:46
We had a bear next to our site when I was at Juniper in Sept. After he wandered off I climbed in my hammock and went to sleep. Some of the others were freaked and stayed in their cars. After watching "Bear Feeding Frenzy" on Discovery they weren't any safer. Two black bears fought their way into a van and spent 2 hours ripping it to shreds trying to find food. :eek:

I was down visiting in the area in August. My host was driving me around showing me the area and we saw a small black bear run across the road in front of us. I think we were near the ONF. We may have been near Juniper. I do believe we went there that day.

It was hard for me to get used to the area and know where I was. In Colorado it’s easy. The mountains are to the west and the flatland is to the east.

If you take a look at my last set of pix’s I uploaded, I took one of what looks like a paw print of a bear. I saw it behind my truck as I was putting on my pack to go hiking last Monday. If it’s not a bear print I would like to know what animal made it?

Only poop I saw looked like dog. I don’t mind dogs on the trail especially if they are well behaved. The problem I have is the owners that are not well behaved. “Leave No Trace” includes traces of their dogs as well!

BumpJumper
12-01-2008, 20:22
Jax, you crack my ...!!!!

JaxHiker
12-01-2008, 23:31
If you take a look at my last set of pix’s I uploaded, I took one of what looks like a paw print of a bear. I saw it behind my truck as I was putting on my pack to go hiking last Monday. If it’s not a bear print I would like to know what animal made it?

Looks more like a cougar track to me. I believe that in a bear track the four front pads would be in more of a straight line.

tom_alan
12-01-2008, 23:54
Looks more like a cougar track to me. I believe that in a bear track the four front pads would be in more of a straight line.

This was the only full print I could find that wasn't walked on or driven on. I have done some Googling and Jax I do believe you're right. The large size of it made me think it was a bear. I wish I had put something down by it so you could compare the size. It was a large cat that left that print. :eek: :eek: :eek:

As you can see it's all frozen and it was frozen when I got back to my truck at the end of the day. The only time the snow would have been soft enough to leave a print like that would have been mid day after the sun was on it for a while. That's interesting because they usually move at night being nocturnal. :eek: :eek: :eek:

JaxHiker
12-02-2008, 10:35
They come out during the day when they're looking for hiker snacks. :D

tom_alan
12-02-2008, 10:40
They come out during the day when they're looking for hiker snacks. :D

Do you mean "Snacking on Hikers?" :eek: :eek: :eek:

BumpJumper
12-02-2008, 13:31
:d

JaxHiker
12-02-2008, 14:31
HikerSnacks are like ScoobySnacks for large, wild animals. :p

tom_alan
12-02-2008, 18:18
Do you mean "Snacking on Hikers?" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Went out for an eight mile hike today and couldn't believe all the lynx tracks in the snow along the trail. I did get a real good shot of a pair of them with my trekking pole handle beside them. There were also bear tracks but I didn't see a clean one to take a picture of. I did see where a bear broke out a passanger window to get into a SUV today. Will post pictures from my hike sometime tonight. Got errands to run first.