PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike Plan

clamb-1
10-22-2008, 20:59
Hi all,
I'm in the planning phase of a thru-hike, which I hope to do in early spring (GA-ME). I would appreciate any advice or feedback from those who have completed this huge endeavor. If you had to do it again what would you do differently?...Pros an Cons

If anyone wants a hiking partner to hook-up with for the journey
please feel free to contact me.

regards
Clamb-1

buff_jeff
10-22-2008, 21:12
I'm not a thru-hiker but I've been out on the trail a good bit.

My biggest recommendation would be to not "over-plan." Don't worry about all kinds of mail-drops, sticking to a daily plan, etc. Also, try not to read all kinds of books or watch all kinds of movies on the trail. I think it detracts from the feeling of adventure if you've seen or read about everything a million times.

What you really need to plan for is how to get to the trailhead, how to get home, and what your plan is for when you get off the trail. Besides that, it's just walking. Carry your guidebook and map and the rest will handle itself. Take as many shake-down hikes as you can. This is the ultimate preparation for a long-distance hike.

Most importantly, go out and have fun! When it's raining or snowing and you think life sucks, just remember that you aren't at work!

Lyle
10-22-2008, 21:15
Clamb-1,

WELCOME!!!!

You definitely came to the right place to get your info. Your question is a bit broad tho. Have you poked around this site much? If not, check out the Articles on the Home page. TONS of great information there. Also, check out the 2009 Thru Hiker forum. There is and will continue to be a lot of very current information there.

My bit of advice - once you start hiking, stay flexible. Nothing you plan on doing is set in stone, just go out, adjust, and remember to have a blast.

About a partner, if you plan to start your hike anywhere around March or April at Springer, you will find a hiking partner, probably several, and probably within a day or two.

Best of luck, you will get more help here than you can handle. Just remember, there are a lot of different ways to accomplish what you are setting out to do - everyone here will just be giving their opinion and suggestions. Pick what makes sense to you and go for it.

Have fun.

Disclaimer: Not a thru hiker of the AT, but have done a 3300 mile backpack and have hiked just under 1000 miles of the AT.

Johnny Swank
10-22-2008, 21:26
Here's some I wrote awhile back about what I'd do differently if I were to thru-hike again.

http://sourcetosea.net/thru-hiking-what-id-do-differently/

Marta
10-22-2008, 21:31
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Definitely check out the stuff available by clicking on the bars towards the top of the page. If you have a specific question, you will often find that it has been discussed many times before. Click on the Search function, and put in "Shoes" or whatever, to see what people have been saying.

Another good place to look for information is on TrailJournals.com. Some people have delved pretty deeply into their preparations and then how things turned out for them. It's nice if you can find writers who are similar to you in age, gender, etc.

I second the idea of NOT trying to find a hiking partner online ahead of time. Been there, done that, was worse than having no partner. If you start NOBO in the spring, you'll fall in with people to hike with.

Also, if you hang out on Whiteblaze over the next few months, you'll see a bunch of '09ers posting about their hopes, dreams, plans, fears... You'll get to know some of them a bit that way. You might even find one or two who live close enough to you that y'all can do some prep hikes together.

Good luck and best wishes!

Mags
10-22-2008, 21:39
I hiked in the dark ages of 1998. MSR Stove, leather boots and gigormous packs were standard items of that time. So were maildrops. A few footsteps (and trails) later, I'd do this differently:

Go lighter - I really did not need full leather boots, a big pack and a white gas stove. Egads...Hauling nearly 30 lbs of base pack weight. :eek: (see how it evolved here from the AT to my last long hike here (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/gear_lists.html))
No Mail Drops - I get into town, hurry to the post office..which was RIGHT NEXT TO A GROCERY STORE! A few places may be convenient for mail drops, but I'd use what is popular on the Western trails: Buy groceries in the larger towns and mail ahead to a smaller town (to a hostel if possible). The hybrid approach works well in some case. Overall, though, it is far easier to juts stock up in the local grocery.
More Photos - I've really come to enjoy photography on a serious amateur level over the years. I'd like to think my skill have improved in ten years. I'd take more photos
Get the names of people! And e-mail addresses!

Overall though? I can say the AT was the watershed moment in my life. A trip I am glad I took and its affects are still being felt ten years later.

I'm envious of anyone on their first long hike. The first long hike is always the one that is felt the most.

Enjoy!

Spock
10-22-2008, 22:31
I can't add to or disagree with anything MAGS says. I made all the errors on my first thru-hike which turned into a 2 year section hike. In 07, I used no mail drops, kept my gear under 14 lbs for cold weather (7 degrees was my low that year) and well below 10 lbs after May, took lots of pics and got peoples' names. Also, I intentionally did no planning whatsoever other than gear and transportation to the trailhead. I had a better time just staying loose and having the flexibility to do fun stuff.

I had a better time om '07 by hiking solo. I acquired temporary hiking partners with the important provision that I was hiking my own hike and would not be bound by anyone else's schedule, hiking rate, etc. Lots of folks get bogged down by hiking partners.

jersey joe
10-23-2008, 08:55
Go Lighter - I carried a lot of weight the first time.
Bring Less Clothes - You only need one set of hiking clothes.
Bring a Head Net for Bugs - Especially in Maine.
Less Mail Drops - But still some.
Resupply More Often - I carried 14 days worth of food from springer.
Buy Hiking Poles - Instead of sticks that I used.
Tent More - I stayed in shelters whenever I could the first time.

KG4FAM
10-23-2008, 09:19
Bring a Head Net for Bugs - Especially in Maine.
That is three season equipment for me everywhere I go. You never know when you will get a warm day and have bugs swarming all around your head. Annoys the crap out of me.

Grampie
10-23-2008, 09:27
Buy or get a copy of Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce's book. The Thru-Hiker's Planning Guide.
I followed his plan for a thru-hike and didn't go wrong. He writes from his experience of several thru-hikes. He gives several options and let's you pick the one that suits you best.
If I did another thru..I wouldn't do much different.:sun

Red Hat
10-23-2008, 10:50
I can't add to or disagree with anything MAGS says. I made all the errors on my first thru-hike which turned into a 2 year section hike. In 07, I used no mail drops, kept my gear under 14 lbs for cold weather (7 degrees was my low that year) and well below 10 lbs after May, took lots of pics and got peoples' names. Also, I intentionally did no planning whatsoever other than gear and transportation to the trailhead. I had a better time just staying loose and having the flexibility to do fun stuff.

I had a better time om '07 by hiking solo. I acquired temporary hiking partners with the important provision that I was hiking my own hike and would not be bound by anyone else's schedule, hiking rate, etc. Lots of folks get bogged down by hiking partners.

We met a couple of times during my small section in 2003. First time I remember how grumpy I thought Frito was about a little rain. I was enjoying the misting rain on my first day out, but you'd been hiking in rain for months, lol... Saw you at Dred's REI presentation next year in Austin.

Serial 07
10-23-2008, 11:40
1. get people's phone # and email addresses...if you feel like you've made a connection with someone, especially early (like GA/NC/TN) get their contact info...it's crazy, but often, those people will be around you again in the north and it's a great way to stay in touch...

2. don't rush...this thing is one of the best life experiences you can have...don't plow through it...

3. don't quit...everyone goes through the blues, but don't let that prompt you to give up...VT/NH/ME are well worth the stamina it takes to get there...

4. meet the locals...hang out in towns from time to time...each area of the country is different...you won't find Lone Wolf or Rob Bird or a friendly mayor just anywhere, so better get to know them while you can...

5. HYOH

Strategic
10-23-2008, 11:43
For the whole "get names and addresses" problem, I've seen a trend in the last couple of years toward getting cards printed with trailnames, real names and contact info to hand people. Mighty useful if you decide to carry a cell (I do, along with a thin-film solar charger) and include the number. It makes hooking up in towns with others you meet easy. They can be printed cheaply at any copy shop and you only need a dozen or two on you at a time. Throw the rest into your occasional supply drops or bounce box (if you use one). Don't weigh much and have a thousand other uses as small pieces of stiff paper (e.g., no need to carry a notebook or rip pages out of a journal for notes.)

Kirby
10-23-2008, 15:02
Things I wish I did differently:
Not planned as much.

Seriously, grab a guidebook, make sure your gear functions properly, and go. Plan out your first 2-3 resupply points so you have something to start with.

Kirby

Footslogger
10-23-2008, 15:13
Hi all,
I'm in the planning phase of a thru-hike, which I hope to do in early spring (GA-ME). I would appreciate any advice or feedback from those who have completed this huge endeavor. If you had to do it again what would you do differently?...Pros an Cons

If anyone wants a hiking partner to hook-up with for the journey
please feel free to contact me.

regards
Clamb-1
============================

Not much I'd change ...

I wouldn't switch backpacks like I did along the way ...of course now I have the ideal pack for me so it wouldn't be necessary.

I would start a little earlier and take my time. If you have the opportunity to walk the trail from end to end in a single year it's to your advantage to slow down and really enjoy the experience ...instead of rushing to the destination (or at least feeling like you had to).

I'd take more pictures and record more trail names (and real names) along with contact info.

Other than that ...if I was going to re-hike the AT again I would pretty much do it the same way I did in 2003.

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
10-23-2008, 15:27
I liked my hike.
If pressed, I'd probably say "don't send lots of maildrops."

I sent too much food. The hikers behind me were the beneficiary.
;-)

Sending through Hot Springs, NC, say, would be fine, to get ya started. With 270 miles or so under your belt, you have a good sense of how to plan, hike and "forage" in towns.

And send any necessary items - meds, contacts, whatever - to hostels you plan to stay at, when you can. That way you avoid the "oops, it's Sunday" syndrome.

Jack Tarlin
10-23-2008, 19:05
If you go to the "Articles" section of this website, and look at the "Tips and Tricks" section, you'll see a whole thread devoted to the excellent question, "What would you do differently?"

There's a post of mine there written way back in the summer of 2004. Along with my Re-Supply information (also in the Articles section) it's probably the best thing I've written for this website, and you might find it useful.

fiddlehead
10-24-2008, 05:23
If you had to do it again what would you do differently?...Pros an Cons
Clamb-1

Yeah, i would've taken an extra set of guitar strings. They are hard to find (ultra lights) near the trail.

No really. Just go do it and why worry about if you should've done it differently?

Dogwood
10-24-2008, 18:59
Check out the Nov 08 issue of Backpacker for a decent AT thru-hiking article.

Dogwood
10-24-2008, 19:02
Get the AT Thru-Hiker Companion

Kirby
10-24-2008, 21:06
Jack Tarlin's resupply article is fantastic, really helps you plan. While I would not use it on it's own, as you need a guidebook to see what's changed, it's quite useful.

I remember before going into town I'd ask Cookie "What's Jack say about" such and such place.

Kirby