PDA

View Full Version : Baker Trail, PA

The Solemates
10-23-2008, 10:26
I am interested in hiking the Baker Trail in western PA this year over Thanksgiving. It runs from the outskirts of NE PIT northward.

I can find very little information on this trail on the web, except for a few sites here and there.

What I am most interested in is a guidebook and map set of the trail. Info on trailheads and access points would also be especially helpful. The only one I can find is here: http://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/merchandise, but I do not want to spend $30, especially if I do not know what kind of book I am getting. I have ordered "guidebooks" on sites like this before only to receive an out-of-date flora and fauna description of the area published in 1973.

Any help?

Also, if anyone has hiked any portions of this trail before and have any suggestions at all, that would be helpful. I'd like to do about half the trail this year and half the trail in 2009.

The Solemates
10-27-2008, 15:26
looks like this is a well hiked trail :rolleyes:

b.c.
10-27-2008, 16:04
There may have been some improvements recently but about 5 years ago the Baker Trail was getting pretty well grown over in spots. A boys club used to care of the trail but when they pulled out only a few volunteers are keeping it going - I think. There has been some survewillance added to the trail at the power plant since 9/11 which is a drawback in my book. The Baker Trail through Cook's Forest is great but to the south - it reportedly is not the trail it once was. It was to be joined with the Rachel-Carson Trail getting it close to Pittsburgh - not sure if this was completed. The Monday after Thanksgiving will have many, many hunters. If I could make a recommendation I would switch off the Baker and onto the North Country Trail which attaches to the Baker Trail at Marienville and goes about 100 miles to attach to the Finger Lakes Trail in Salamanca, NY. A beautiful, well-marked walk, just to the Baker's north...

Pootz
10-27-2008, 16:53
You will find the most up to date info on the Baker Trail at http://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/bt .

I have hiked the Rachael Carson Trail (the original 35 miles of the Baker Trail from North Park in Pittsburgh to Harrison Hills Park near Freeport) and the last 40 miles that lead you to Cook Forest. The trail is well marked and in pretty good shape. There is a section between Harrison Hills Park and just north of Vandergrift that has been abandoned as far as I know. Some of the trail has had to be moved to dirt and other secondary roads over the years. The trail group is working hard to get the entire trail off of roads.

The same group of people manage both the Rachael Carson and Baker Trails. A great group of dedicated people

Pootz
10-27-2008, 16:56
I have more information on the Baker Trail and North country trail in Pa if you are interested.

The Solemates
10-27-2008, 18:12
I have more information on the Baker Trail and North country trail in Pa if you are interested.

yes im interested. what info?

Pootz
10-27-2008, 18:34
You will find the most up to date info on the Baker Trail at http://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/bt .

I have hiked the Rachael Carson Trail (the original 35 miles of the Baker Trail from North Park in Pittsburgh to Harrison Hills Park near Freeport) and the last 40 miles that lead you to Cook Forest. The trail is well marked and in pretty good shape. There is a section between Harrison Hills Park and just north of Vandergrift that has been abandoned as far as I know. Some of the trail has had to be moved to dirt and other secondary roads over the years. The trail group is working hard to get the entire trail off of roads.

The same group of people manage both the Rachael Carson and Baker Trails. A great group of dedicated people

Just so we are on the same page The Rachel Carson Trail and the Baker Trail are considered 2 different trails these days. They both can be put together to form the original Baker Trail. They are seperated by a section that has been abandoned. I would think you would want to just skip this section sice there is not a trail. You could road walk between the 2 but I would perfer to get a ride between the sections.

The groupe that maintains both trails does a good job, they sponcer the Barker Trail Ultra Challenge. The Baker trail is broken up into 3 sections and they do a different section each year in August. This year they did the northers section. What this means is that the entire Baker trail gets attention every 3 years. So some of it may get grown over but should not be too bad. The Baker Trail has a lot of miles of road walk. Not sure of the exact number but in 06 it was about 50 miles if my memory is correct. The web site talkes about 9 shelters, some of these are new.

The Rachel Carson Trail is well maintained. The Rachel Carson Challenge is held every year in June. So the trail gets yearly maintance and is hiked by hundreds. The trail is mostly off of roads.

You would need to buy both trail guids, I am not sure how well updated they are.

The Rachel Carson trail is more difficult than you would think for the ares, it has many up and downs some pretty steep. The baker Trail is pretty much on the easy side as trails go. The northern 1/3 is very nice with the end in Cook Forest.

The North Country trail joins the baker trail for its last 20 miles and continues north where the Baker Trail Ends. The North Country trail is well marked and is all off road from where it meets the Baker Trail to the New York Border. The best section of the North Country Trail in PA is from the New York border south.

The Solemates
10-28-2008, 09:24
thats great info. i think youve made my mind up and we are probably going to shoot for part of the MST instead. thanks!

Pootz
10-28-2008, 14:15
I did not intend to stear you away from the Baker Trail. I have hiked a lot of it and it is nice. It is a good trail and is well maintained. A group of 6 or so thru hiked it in 06 and had a great time.

If you decide to do the Mid State trail I recomend the norther section. The last 30 miles where it joins the West Rim trail is very nice.

ki0eh
10-28-2008, 14:26
If you decide to do the Mid State trail I recomend the norther section. The last 30 miles where it joins the West Rim trail is very nice.

It goes about 50 miles further than that now, but only about the next 15 of those is recommended for a fall backpack. The remaining 35 or so north to NY is more like the Baker Trail. :D (That is, much private land, much hunting pressure, and actual hunting season closures on some of the private land similar to the nearby Finger Lakes Trail.)

Pootz
10-28-2008, 14:30
KiOeh

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.