PDA

View Full Version : First night in an HH in the winter

VAMTNHIKER
03-25-2004, 11:35
I know.. I have been reading Sgt Rock's website WAY too much this past year... Love my Gearskin... ::grin::

Last week , my son and I went up to Shenandoah Natl Park/ Big Meadows and hiked down to Hoover Camp for the night. Borrowed a friends HH ultralight Asym. No problem putting it up/ the links off Tom's site with visuals on the proper knots were great!

Since it was in the mid 20's, I had planned ahead. Used a "Sportsman Space Blanket" (reflective one side, colored on the other) and the Target blue closed cell pad. Slept in polyprolong underwear and kept on inexpensive A&N fllece pants and a lightweight Columbia fleece jacket. Used my Kelty 20 degree down Lightyear as a quilt. Slept great even for my first night in an HH!

I know the Sportsman's space blanket is not the answer; too big, etc.. but for a one night test it worked great. When I did slip off the pad on the the blanket, I did have a little condensation/wake up cold. In the morning, there was some dampness on the pad.

I had tried my son's Clear Creek Crib LX last spring in 40 degree... with no pad I was very cold... put extra clothes under me. He was sleepin gunder my tarp. Yet the night before he slept great without a pad... obviously he sleeps warm and I sleep cold... also he is a typical teenager... "Gee Dad, I don't need a jacket!"

A HH may not be perfect for all situations... but my only question now is which model ... teh Ultralight or the Expedition ultralight... (I am 5'10 but just lost 60#... 245 to 190... and I PLAN on staying below that 200# limit! :-)

ScouterSteve

peter_pan
03-25-2004, 16:46
Backpacker ultralight asym should fit fine and it is 5 oz lighter than the Explorer ultralight asym..... If there is any doubt that wieght will go significantly above the stated capacity of 200 lb then the explorer ultralight makes sense. Peace of mind=5 oz. At any rate do get one of them they are great.

peter_pan
03-25-2004, 22:46
Explorerultralight is 2.3lbs. That makes it about a 7 oz difference. I missread the bag. Ten lashes and a promise to be more careful. 7 oz is almost a half pound. This could add up to a decision. :confused:

Bonehead
03-25-2004, 22:50
peter pan --

grow up.

peter_pan
03-26-2004, 06:35
bonehead,

nevvvvvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr ! :jump

VAMTNHIKER
03-26-2004, 15:57
::chuckle:

Thanks for the input!