PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain To 19E

the dragon
10-23-2008, 16:57
Where would you guys rate the difficulty of the hike from Overmountain shelter to 19E? Maybe scale of 1-10. One being very easy. From the look of the elevation profile it is pretty much all down hill right? With the exception of going up and over the humps.

Could three fairly inexperienced hikers do it on their third day out?

Mocs123
10-23-2008, 17:04
I would rate it a 2 or 3. It is only 8 miles from Overmountain to US19E so even inexperienced hikers should easily be able to do it in a day. You have a gradual 1000 foot climb up to little hump and a 500 foot climb to big hump.

Jack Tarlin
10-23-2008, 18:58
People could get there on the FIRST day out. Just start early, and check the weather ahead of time, as there's areas where'll you'll be totally exposed, i.e. you won't wanna be up there if it's wet and windy. But if the weather is good, you'll have a great time.

Cabin Fever
10-23-2008, 21:04
Enjoy your way up the Humps. After that, just coasting down to the highway. Easily done in one day.

deadhorsejoe
10-23-2008, 23:08
Where would you guys rate the difficulty of the hike from Overmountain shelter to 19E? Maybe scale of 1-10. One being very easy. From the look of the elevation profile it is pretty much all down hill right? With the exception of going up and over the humps.

Did that hike this past Sunday. Great hike. Not difficult. I would say a 3 to 5. Water at Overmountain and at Bradley Gap.

Tennessee Viking
10-23-2008, 23:19
You can actually do it in one day if you start first thing in the morning. Hot humid weather or icy conditions will slow you down. I did Carvers Gap to 19E as my first section hike, and was carrying a way heavy pack. I did it in an overnight trip staying at the barn with about 30 school kids hogging the barn. The thru's were not too happy to be around that many screaming kids. Me and most of the thru's slept on the grass to avoid the noise.

Its pretty easy... about 2-3. The hardest parts are the steep trail down from Grassy Ridge to Yellow Mtn Gap because you are stepping down a lot and braking. The climbs up Yellow Mtn Gap & Hump are good work out but easy. The walk in front of Hump from Houston Ridge to Doll Flats is all rock and roots and is the only real challenge on that section. If the steer are out, that makes it even more interesting.

If you were going 19E up to Carvers Gap and you were new hikers, then you would be in for a challenging trip.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2008, 06:28

a 2 rating

Christus Cowboy
10-24-2008, 11:04
Did this section last November and then again in May.... Probably a little harder in November than May since I ran into some ice on the trail in November and was carrying a heavier pack. Its a great hike and once you jump Little Hump & Hump it was easy sailing. I was able to find water at OverMountain and Bradley Gap but this probably won't be an issue if you plan on carrying your water and doing this in a day.

Kirby
10-24-2008, 14:57
The humps were one of my favorite sections of trail.

Kirby

PowerT
10-27-2008, 15:35
I'd rate it about a 2-3, except for last Friday when I went over Hump with the wind blowing about 60mph; that upped the difficulty a few points...

Pootz
10-27-2008, 15:49
That is one of my favorite sections of the trail. I love overmountian Shelter and the humps provide great views.

Kerosene
11-01-2008, 15:13
I'd rate it about a 2-3, except for last Friday when I went over Hump with the wind blowing about 60mph; that upped the difficulty a few points...The winds going up Hump from the south were about 30 mph sustained with 40-50 mph gusts; fortunately from the side and not in my face. Surprisingly, things were considerably quieter once I reached the summit on a nice sunny winter's day (in late October?). Most of the snowfall had blown off the trail, but once I got down to the trees it was 4-6", with 8"+ drifts when I happened to step in them. The hardest part of this section, outside of having to get out of the wind for a bit beside one of the rock formations during the ascent of Hump, was the snow-covered rocky section below treeline. The only time I slipped that day was twice within 10 feet of each other on extremely slick snow-covered rocks.

Brushy Sage
11-01-2008, 16:48
I agree, a two-three, especially for young and in fit hikers.

Tennessee Viking
11-01-2008, 20:38
The winds going up Hump from the south were about 30 mph sustained with 40-50 mph gusts; fortunately from the side and not in my face. Surprisingly, things were considerably quieter once I reached the summit on a nice sunny winter's day (in late October?). Most of the snowfall had blown off the trail, but once I got down to the trees it was 4-6", with 8"+ drifts when I happened to step in them. The hardest part of this section, outside of having to get out of the wind for a bit beside one of the rock formations during the ascent of Hump, was the snow-covered rocky section below treeline. The only time I slipped that day was twice within 10 feet of each other on extremely slick snow-covered rocks.Wait till next spring when the Little Hump relocation opens up. The trail will still climb to the summit of Little Hump, going north, as usual from the TN side. But instead of the steep drop to Bradley Gap, it will do a hard reverse turn on the top and go down through the grasses into the woods on the North Carolina side come back to the old trail next to the campsite and water source near Bradley Gap.

Then hopefully another relocation south of Yellow Mtn Gap will open up to.

bredler
11-01-2008, 22:59
I did that stretch as part of a section going southbound and we did that chunk plus about eight miles or so that day. Not a bad chunk for two 19y/o males and that was way uphill. The other way should be nice and easy ; )

twisted
11-02-2008, 21:42
this is an easy hike no matter which way your going if your out hiking you should be prepared for the weather or weather changes

Blissful
11-02-2008, 21:48
It's not bad at except we did ours in 60 mph winds over the humps. But great views.

Chaco Taco
11-03-2008, 22:12
The climb out of Overmountain is easy and short.Take your time over the humps. The climb down is easy

Kerosene
11-04-2008, 08:56
The climb down is easyUnless there's snow covering those slippery rocks on the trail below treeline! I walked through 4-6" of snow all day, slipping only twice...both quick, unexpected ones within 10 feet of each other on some of those @#$% rocks!

Egads
11-04-2008, 19:36
Unless there's snow covering those slippery rocks on the trail below treeline! I walked through 4-6" of snow all day, slipping only twice...both quick, unexpected ones within 10 feet of each other on some of those @#$% rocks!

I suppose I should ask if anything other than your pride was hurt?

Kerosene
11-05-2008, 10:27
Nope, just my pride. I got up from the first fall and said to myself, "That was close, but you just gotta get back on the horse...". A second later I fell again, although not so quickly, and as I settled my nerves changed my tune to, "Slow down, watch each step, don't get hurt"!

Chaco Taco
11-06-2008, 23:39
just got back today from going Carvers- 19. It was awesome and really easy. When i did this on my thru, it rained and was really windy and foggy. Got to see something I didnt get to see on my thru, it was great.

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 01:07
I would not leave a vehicle at 19E

Chaco Taco
11-07-2008, 11:33
Agreed. talk to the folks at mountain harbour esp durig off season

the dragon
11-07-2008, 11:47
Yeah ive heard about the vehicle vandalism that goes on at 19E. We have a friend up there that is going to shuttle us.

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 21:40
Of course there is some guy that works at a SUBWAY that shows up there once in a while with a cooler full of sandwiches and drinks so it is not all bad.........but then what day of hiking is?