PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Clothing

Stir Fry
10-23-2008, 19:46
Will thei be enough for a March 15 to 20 start.
Undershirt long sleeve, underarmor 9oz
Long Jons Underarmor 6oz
Mont Bell Soft Shell Down Jacket 8oz
Mont Bell Soft Shell Down Pants 6oz
Micro Fleece Cap 2oz
Nike Therma fit gloves 1oz
total 2 lb.
I also have Sil-Nylon rain jacket and pants, but I'll be keeping them when it gets worm.

fiddlehead
10-24-2008, 05:15
Having a super light layer (from my experience with under armour anyway) and a down suit (coat and pants) if a bit extreme in their differences.
I think you will find most days where you would prefer something in the middle.
You will most likely wear the under armour when walking (unless it's a warm or hot day) and then when you stop for a break, or when it's raining, you will need something warmer.
The down will be too much, especially the pants. I doubt you will walk in the down pants and only put them on in camp.
I think you should think about a heavy weight long underwear bottom instead. (you can always crawl into your sleeping bag in camp to get warm)
Possibly keep the down coat until at least after the smokies but you might want a fleece top for those times when it is about 50 degrees and you take a break and need to put something on because your sweaty and can chill down fast.

Good luck in your decision and have a great hike.

Stir Fry
10-24-2008, 17:21
Possibly keep the down coat until at least after the smokies but you might want a fleece top for those times when it is about 50 degrees and you take a break and need to put something on because your sweaty and can chill down fast

Would Micro Fleece do the trick, or should i go heaver?

fiddlehead
10-25-2008, 03:44
Personally, i like my 200 weight fleece pullover but perhaps a microfleece would be ok.
Sometimes these things depend on you and if you are comfortable in cold or not.
YOu are from NC. To me that means you might not be used to cold temps.

I would guess you need a little more than a micro-fleece once you send home the down jacket.

bigcranky
10-25-2008, 08:58
Your original list is fine, with a couple of provisos:

1. You should never wear the down clothing while hiking -- your sweat will soak it and kill the loft. You'll wear them in camp and sleeping.

2. You'll need rain gear -- jacket and pants -- at the beginning.

3. A microfleece pullover will be nice to have around camp, under your down jacket on cold days, and possibly for hiking on *very* cold days.

4. I don't find I need as much insulation on my legs. Unless you need the down pants to keep you warm in a too-light sleeping bag, which is a reasonable strategy by the way.

JAK
10-25-2008, 09:14
Choose your clothing system to wear it all in the most extreme conditions, and combinations of conditions you might possibly get that month of the year, regardless of the weather forecast, but modify it into layers that can be most easily mixed and matched and added and removed regularly or packed away in reserve or used as sleepwear until you really need it.

I agree with Big Cranky's points, except I would modify point 4 somewhat. I don't need as much insulation on my legs, most of the time. When sitting around above freezing, and even below freezing when hiking, it is reasonable to keep yourself cool and less encumbered by removing more insulation and layers from you extremities, especially around the knees and beyond your elbows, but even you head and neck area. There is no sense optimizing layering for minimum weight while hiking when you still have to carry all the crap in you pack. So most of the time while hiking you are optimizing layering for maximum comfort and ventilation and minimal encumbrance, perhaps even to minimized the volume of you have to put in your pack. For example I generall try and keep my wool sweater on, and remove pretty much everything else but hiking shorts.

In the most extreme conditions you pretty much need uniform coverage everywhere,
but while hiking and even sitting around camp most of the time this isn't so.

JAK
10-25-2008, 09:17
Optimize your layering system for the extremes.
Modify your layering system for comfort and flexibility and packability.

Stir Fry
10-25-2008, 09:39
4. I don't find I need as much insulation on my legs. Unless you need the down pants to keep you warm in a too-light sleeping bag, which is a reasonable strategy by the way.
Down pants and jacket are for camp only. I hate being cold while sitting around at night. I know i could get in my sleeping bag, but at $300 plus I reserve it to sleep in. I'll definetly look at adding afleece mid layer to start. Thanks ror the replys.

JAK
10-25-2008, 14:28
200wt fleece pants and 100wt fleece jacket are probably bulkier and heavier than light down jackets and pants for camp wear but they might be more versatile for an extra layer over wool sweater for extreme wet and cold conditions and just as good for extreme dry and cold conditions. I like the fact that I can kick them around. They aren't my main layer but they are good insurance for mid-winter. Good for rolling around in the snow also, and are somtimes better than a wind layer or rain layer in cold drizzle and wet snow for managing moisture.