PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? Or do you hear it too?

1Pint
10-23-2008, 21:54
Often - yes, often - when I hear a love song on the radio, I hear it as if it was written by a hiker about the AT or long-distance/backpacking. Is it just me?

emerald
10-23-2008, 23:13
No, it's not just you 1Pint. I once created an AT slide show set to a soundtrack that would qualify.

Yuengling's Black and Tan or porter are their best products IMO. Their premium beer is better than many domestic brews, but the rest I could happily do without.

camojack
10-24-2008, 03:41
Often - yes, often - when I hear a love song on the radio, I hear it as if it was written by a hiker about the AT or long-distance/backpacking. Is it just me?
It might not be just you, but it's never happened to me.

No, it's not just you 1Pint. I once created an AT slide show set to a soundtrack that would qualify.
See? It's not just 1Pint...but it's still never happened to me.

Yuengling's Black and Tan or porter are their best products IMO. Their premium beer is better than many domestic brews, but the rest I could happily do without.
Non sequitur. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsequitur) Whilst I agree that Black & Tan and Porter are indeed Yuengling's best products, why'd you bring 'em up?

CowHead
10-24-2008, 06:54
When I hear my boy's played rap or 1 more hour of rockband I want to get out of the house and on the trail, love songs I just want to hang with the wife.

emerald
10-24-2008, 13:43
Non sequitur. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsequitur) Whilst I agree that Black & Tan and Porter are indeed Yuengling's best products, why'd you bring 'em up?

1Pint posted, "That Yuengling stuff ain't bad!" Look under her screen name in the upper left-hand corner of her posts.

I just thought I'd point out what's best, lest someone fall for their Lager hype and never experience the best of their offerings.

I heard another song today which prompted thoughts of the AT and expect I will now be hearing them more often.

JAK
10-24-2008, 15:46
I associate certain songs from the road trips I have taken in the past, but not hikes so much because I never had music playing. There was this guy in Basic Training that played the theme from Mash on his harmonica. Pretty much ruined the song for me. On our honeymoon cruise a really cheesy version of Amazing Grace was way overplayed whenever the crew raised sail. Its still special, as is Abide with Me, because it was played at my Mother's funeral and I hear it every Rememberance Day ceremony. The big road trip songs for me are "Band On The Run" from our trip to Stormont Ontario in 1974 for a sailing regatta, and that "Romeo and Juliet, Sampson and Delilah" song from our trip down to Miami and New Orleans for another couple of regattas in 1979. Funny, those two trips were only 5 years apart but it seems a lot longer for yourself to get from 12 years old to 17 years old than it does for your own daughter to grow from 0 to 10. Life's moving way too fast now.

1Pint
10-25-2008, 20:24
I hate to admit it, but....

I lied. Yep, it's not just love songs, it's pretty much 80% of the songs I hear have some link back to the trail or hiking.

It can often be a single line in a song like James Blunt's "High" that has a line "do you remember the day when my journey began?"
or Queen's song "These Are the Days of Our Lives" with the "We just lived for fun/bad things in life were so few/you can't turn back the clock/you can't turn back the tide/Ain't that a shame/I'd like to go back."
Or Santana's "No One To Depend On" makes me think of solo winter hiking.
Or BB King & Eric Clapton doing "Rock Me Baby" brings up images of smooth (NOT!) trail.
Colin Hay's love song "I just Don't think I'll Ever Get Over You" says it all about the AT.
Ryan Adams "I'm Alright Today" "Thank God dreaming is free 'cause I'm spending all my money making make believe."
about being on the trail...Luce "Here" - "What you're searching for is here."
Or...
for those who want to be on the trail but aren't....
Train "Let It Roll" - "so I'll watch the snow come calling, and I'll celebrate the Spring. I feel the falls keep falling. And when the summer comes, I will pretend I don't notice. That is when I notice most of all."

I guess I'll just deal with this affliction on my own. It's not exactly a bad affliction but it does make working in cubicle-world more difficult. ;)

Roots
10-25-2008, 20:32
It's funny you posted this because I was just talking about this last weekend.

I find a majority of Norah Jones' songs--especially her 1st album--talk about backpacking or the outdoors in general.

emerald
10-25-2008, 22:47
I lied.

Isn't that against the terms of service (TOS)?

emerald
10-25-2008, 23:32
And there's something 'bout the Southland in the springtime
Where the waters flow with confidence and reason
Though I miss her when I'm gone it won't ever be too long
Till I'm home again to spend my favorite season
When God made me born a yankee he was teasin'
There's no place like home and none more pleasin'
Than the Southland in the springtime
In Georgia nights are softer than a whisper
Beneath a quilt somebody's mother made by hand
With the farmland like a tapestry passed down through generations
And the peach trees stitched across the land
There'll be cider up near Helen off the roadside
And boiled peanuts in a bag to warm your fingers
And the smoke from the chimneys meets its maker in the sky
With a song that winter wrote whose melody lingers

mountain squid
10-26-2008, 09:47
Yep, it's not just love songs, it's pretty much 80% of the songs I hear have some link back to the trail or hiking.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/music038.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sport033.gifI think it might be time to hit the trail and do some hiking...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy035.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

superman
10-26-2008, 11:20
Holy crap, Y'all are hearing songs that trigger flashbacks to hiking. When you start "acting out" you will be "acute." You'll have to attend meetings where you'll stand up and say "Hi, my name is Wingfoot Wanabe and I'm a hiker." Then they'll put you in some weird outward bound program to help you adjust to your maladjusted hiking tendensies.:banana

bfitz
10-26-2008, 22:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNPv1YgrFkE

The song is called "The Damage is Done" cuz once you've hiked, the damage is done.....I like where it says "One more mountain, one more mile"...

I paved this road
I broke myself in two
This I know
Up and down, In between
There's nothing I haven't seen

All these scars which bear my name, yeah
My eyes are wide, ain't nothing's the same, yeah
I tried to run, but the damage is done, yeah
The damage is done
The damage is done

Where I've gone and where I've been
One only knows
One more mountain, one more mile
I'll do as I'm told

All these scars which bear my name, yeah
My eyes are wide, ain't nothing's the same, yeah
I tried to run, but the damage is done, yeah
The damage is done
The damage is done

Oh yeah, oh yeah
The damage is done
Oh yeah, oh yeah
The damage is done
Oh yeah, oh yeah
The damage is done
Oh yeah, oh yeah
The damage is done

1Pint
11-17-2008, 23:02
Had the iPod on shuffle today... how about this one called Nowhere Fast by Incubus...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_Ajfe1H2w

Will I ever get to, to where it is that I am going
Will I ever follow through with what I...
With what I have planned
I guess its possible, that I have been a bit distracted
And the directions for me are a lot less in demand

Will I ever get to where Im going
If I do will I know when Im there
If the wind blew me in the right direction. yeah
Would I even care
I would.

I take a look around, its evident the scene has changed.
And there are times when I feel improved, improved upon the past.
And there are times when I cant seem to understand at all.
And yes it seems as though Im going nowhere really f#!*ing fast
Nowhere fast.

Yep, it's time for a hike. That won't cure my problem, but it sure feels good. We got some light dustings of snow this weekend and the trails are pleasantly empty of the all the sane people. Now it's just me and those other silly people that forget we're supposed to stay inside at this time of year.

Happy hiking & music haunting everyone,
Laura/1Pint

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 14:49
So give a cheer for the Orange and Blue
Waving forever.
Forever pride of old Florida,
May she droop never.
We'll sing a song for the flag today,
Cheer for the team at play.
On to the goal we'll fight our way for FLORIDA.

Just messin' with ya, One Pint.
How ya been? How're those Buckeyes doin'? Whenever I'm hiking in the mountains there's a song that goes though my head constantly. I can't remember who wrote it but the lyrics are "It's all so beautiful".

1Pint
11-18-2008, 22:36
So give a cheer for the Orange and Blue
Waving forever.
Forever pride of old Florida,
May she droop never.
We'll sing a song for the flag today,
Cheer for the team at play.
On to the goal we'll fight our way for FLORIDA.

Just messin' with ya, One Pint.
How ya been? How're those Buckeyes doin'? Whenever I'm hiking in the mountains there's a song that goes though my head constantly. I can't remember who wrote it but the lyrics are "It's all so beautiful".

http://www.osu.edu/download/battle_cry.mp3
Buckeye Battle Cry
In old Ohio there's a team
That's known thru-out the land;
Eleven warriors, brave and bold,
Whose fame will ever stand.
And when the ball goes over,
Our cheers will reach the sky,
Ohio field will hear again
The Buckeye Battle Cry-

Drive! Drive on down the field,
Men of the scarlet and gray;
Don't let them thru that line,
We have to win this game today,
Come on, Ohio!
Smash through to victory.
We cheer you as you go:
Our honor defend
So we'll fight to the end for O-hi-o.

Right back at ya, Gray Blazer! :) Can't say I've ever thought of this song while hiking. Maybe if I was an Ohio native, it'd be in my genes like it seems to be for those around me.

I'm doing good, thanks for asking. How's it going down in Florida?

There's a song by Paul Johnson called "It's All So Beautiful." Don't know if that's the one you're thinking of while hiking, but I like the title just fine.

Gorp-Gobbler
11-19-2008, 09:03
http://www.osu.edu/download/battle_cry.mp3
Buckeye Battle Cry
In old Ohio there's a team
That's known thru-out the land;
Eleven warriors, brave and bold,
Whose fame will ever stand.
And when the ball goes over,
Our cheers will reach the sky,
Ohio field will hear again
The Buckeye Battle Cry-

Drive! Drive on down the field,
Men of the scarlet and gray;
Don't let them thru that line,
We have to win this game today,
Come on, Ohio!
Smash through to victory.
We cheer you as you go:
Our honor defend
So we'll fight to the end for O-hi-o.

Right back at ya, Gray Blazer! :) Can't say I've ever thought of this song while hiking. Maybe if I was an Ohio native, it'd be in my genes like it seems to be for those around me.

I'm doing good, thanks for asking. How's it going down in Florida?

There's a song by Paul Johnson called "It's All So Beautiful." Don't know if that's the one you're thinking of while hiking, but I like the title just fine.

Being a former Buckeye I enjoyed reading the words to this song.
Here's one for your listening enjoyment. The title is exactly what we do when we hike any of our trails.
www.happycountdown.com/Gorp-Gobbler/2011/AT (http://www.happycountdown.com/Gorp-Gobbler/2011/AT)