PDA

View Full Version : backpacking gear and the army

mcplkelly
10-24-2008, 20:17
ok I am diffantly getting something more than army gear but for the first few times I want to go all army stuff because it is heavy and tuff so basicaly to get stronger. Sense I started thinking about roughing it with army gear, peaple (namely guys) have been giving me old army stuff. Looking at still getting the alice ruck. Question is where dose everything go in an army ruck? It has a bunch of pockets and stuff. Is there anyone out there used the old army ruck willing to tell me how to pack an army ruck (using army clothing, even though I most likely wear normal clothing)? Also where in the ruck would you stuff your sports bras and hygine items?

Manwich
10-25-2008, 09:56
err those army rucks never carried bras or clothing, they carried Claymore Mines, Ammo, Gun Cleaning Kits, Flashbangs, Grenades, Shovels, Radios

weasel and bunny
10-25-2008, 12:40
They don't call the ruck a big green wart for nothing. There are three outside pockets or three large and three small pockets depending on what sixe you get.
Other than that the Army isn't really concerned with comfort and easy accessibility. Everything from extra clothing and food to bullets and radios.
You will be much happier if you do not "toughen up" with a ruck. When loaded down they pull you backward unlike a backpacking pack which pushes you down more than it pulls backward. The reason for this is so when you are on a patrol with the ruck you aren't snagging branches and the like above your head making lots of noise.
If you are determined to use the ruck grab all your gear and start stuffing. A tent and pad can be lashed down with the cinch straps.

JAK
10-25-2008, 13:59
mcplkelly,
I am curious from your name and age and interest in the military and hiking if you are a Master Corporal in the cadets or even the reserves or something. Probably not army reserves or even army cadets as you would have done some field training, but maybe air cadets or airforce reserve or something like that, with just enough field training maybe to catch the bug. Not to get to personal, but have you done anything along those lines up there in Alberta or have you thought about it. I know reserves has gotten alot more serious in Canada now that it is more closely integrated with our military and we are at war in Afghanistan and all that, but its still as great thing for youn people to do part-time, especially if they are interested in the outdoors as you seem to be. I was with 722 Communication Squadron here in Saint John, NB after I got out of the Navy and before I got married and left it to the experts, but had alot of fun in the woods and along the Nerepis river in Gagetown training area. Good times. The younger folks, young men and women, really seemed to enjoy it and the time. Things have gotten far more serious since then, but you might still check it out if you haven't already. I am cautious about sending young folks down that route because I am an old fart now and all my service was peacetime, but there you go. That's my pitch.

Red Hat
10-25-2008, 17:50
Two guys carrying full military packs started at Katahdin the same day I did (July 1). They had about 70 lbs apiece (Paul at the hostel had convinced them to drop from the 100 lbs they planned on using....) Anyway, they skipped Katahdin and just headed south from the campground. Fell in the water fording, lost some gear, and called Paul to pick them up at Abol Bridge. They went home. don't do it!

WalkingStick75
10-25-2008, 18:32
Backpacking is about having fun, trust me you will not be having fun if your attempt using a ruck! Backpacking is work even strenuous at times using a ruck you will probably not have fun, be sore from carrying the ruck and never want to hit the trails again.

Go to your local stores, try on some packs. Good stores will have sand bags or some type of weight so you can get a god feel for the pack. If these are too expensive or just want to save a few dollars after you find what will work for you post again on this site what you are looking for. Willing to bet you will find a good deal.

Now hit the trails and have FUN!

JAK
10-26-2008, 14:29
I didn't have that much trouble in full military gear, 20km a day in British Columbia... when I was 20. I have more total weight on feet now just stepping out the the shower.

You don't really get a feel for a pack in stores no matter how many sandbags they put in. They all feel comfy as heck and the heavier they are the better they feel. Well all heavy packs are crap when all you want to do is carry 20 pounds 30 pounds tops. If you are young and lean and want to save money any pack will do. If you are old and overweight like me, or some combination of the two, pack shouldn't be an ounce over 2 pounds even in winter, and doesn't need to cost a dime over $100. Heck I got a 10oz day pack that would outlast me.

Funny thing is, I actually ripped my 7 pound Kelty Pack first time out by overstuffing it and over compressing it and then reefing on those straps and drawstrings with all my might. I don't know what makes us think we need all those heavy tightening straps even on some of the lighter packs like my JAM2. Those straps need to just take up the slack. Otherwise they are causing more harm than good in my opinion. I also think light packs should be just as big as heavy packs. Stronger that way. Just go easy on them.