PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the AT

randyg45
10-25-2008, 01:43
Does anyone know of a book or site that deals much with fishing along the trail?

Macallister Vagabond
10-28-2008, 10:02
Does anyone know of a book or site that deals much with fishing along the trail?

I don't but I section hiked the AT in Massachusetts and had good luck with the four piece fly rod in the Housatonic and another seizable stream that I am not sure of the name. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you carry a small rig.

What are you looking to fish for? How?

max patch
10-28-2008, 10:23
The only place to fish in GA on the AT is Noontootla Creek at Three Forks. Unstocked, artificial only, single hook, 16 inches to keep. Beautiful place to fish, campsites on the water.

Only problem is you won't actually catch anything.

randyg45
10-28-2008, 10:54
Actually, I lived and fished Ga for many years. Theres trout in many rivers on or near the AT there: whatever river it is in and/or north of Suches, the Chatooga, Tallula, Chauga (SC). I'm just not sure how close some of those are to white blazes, and past the Chauga I have no experience.
Thanks

randyg45
10-28-2008, 10:59
UL spinning/fly combo. Rooster Tails, flies, bait from the creek (salamanders, mostly), .357 Magnum hollow points (kidding!!!!).
But I do snare/eat rabbits. WV, remember. We don't live to hunt. We hunt to live :sun

Footslogger
10-28-2008, 11:06
We had trout and catfish swimming all around us on the AT in 2003. You just had to lean over and grab them.

Just kidding ...but at times the trail was like a fast running stream that year.

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
10-28-2008, 11:58
We had trout and catfish swimming all around us on the AT in 2003.
Catch and release, or trout for breakfast 'Slogger? :D

Footslogger
10-28-2008, 12:22
Catch and release, or trout for breakfast 'Slogger? :D
=========================

Suppose I could have stabbed them with my trekking poles ...

'Slogger

Macallister Vagabond
10-28-2008, 13:06
=========================

Suppose I could have stabbed them with my trekking poles ...

'Slogger

:banana

http://lh6.ggpht.com/nlanier/SQNnTN66gpI/AAAAAAAAIZs/HRHgGfmQFGE/s800/IMG_2046.JPG"

Footslogger
10-28-2008, 13:14
:banana

http://lh6.ggpht.com/nlanier/SQNnTN66gpI/AAAAAAAAIZs/HRHgGfmQFGE/s800/IMG_2046.JPG"

===================================

That's a good one ...but just imagine the water being almost that deep and running towards you on what SHOULD BE the trail. That was what fishing would have been like in 2003.

'Slogger

RITBlake
10-28-2008, 13:15
Here is TUGBOAT MEGA 05. Proud member of Team America.

We found him one Summer day up to his waist in the water somewhere between Duncannon and Boiling Springs:

http://www.maine2georgia.com/PA/slides/P8250087.JPG

Spogatz
10-28-2008, 15:35
What about issues with a fishing license in different states.

RITBlake
10-28-2008, 21:16
What about issues with a fishing license in different states.

This is America, fish where and what you want.

Grampie
10-29-2008, 09:29
I like to fish so, on my thru I took a couple of hooks and about 25' of mono line. Fished a couple of times but most of the days I was just too tired to do anything but setup camp, eat, clean up and sleep. I did camp on the shore of Plesant Pond in Maine. Caught two brook trout and cooked them up.
If you fish..at least take some hooks and line.:cool:

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-29-2008, 09:38
String on a stick. License what license, i'm homeless and was jut trying to catch me some dinner warden.

jesse
10-29-2008, 10:11
you do not want to be near a trout stream, with fishing gear and no licence.

max patch
10-29-2008, 10:52
you do not want to be near a trout stream, with fishing gear and no licence.

Exactly. Years ago I went trout fishing on the Soque in N GA with a neighbor and one of his out of town relatives. He didn't want to spend the money for a license. He was caught, taken directly to the jail in Clarkesville where a judge was waiting (they were really looking for lawbreakers this weekend) found guilty and fined around $80 I think. This was about 20 years ago. He had to stay in the building until we came back with the money.

I've also seen rangers in camo hiking with binoculars looking for people not following the rules on one of the trophy trout steams (artificial only, 1 hook, no barb, minimum size, etc.)

~Ronin~
10-29-2008, 16:59
Never fished along the AT, but I see plenty of people fishing without licenses here in PA. In fact on opening day of trout, most people I saw had no license. Guess theres not enough game wardens to enforce anything here. Haven't heard of anyone being arrested for it, I thought they just gave you a ticket. Guess I was misinformed.

Rambler
10-29-2008, 18:04
I met a thru-hiker in TN/NC near Erwin August '07 doing a study of Brook Trout in streams along the trail. Said they are making a comeback. He was carrying 40 pounds of gear, not doing many miles per day, well behind most NOBOs. I believe he had a college grant to do the study. Have forgotten his name and details. He was enjoying his journey. Maybe you could put one of these in your pocket (http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Fish-Pen-Rod-with-Fly-Reel-COMBO/productinfo/F-P-FLYKIT/).

randyg45
10-29-2008, 21:08
Rambler, Santa may just stuff a "pen" in my stocking. Thanks.

Hoop Time
10-30-2008, 17:00
Never fished along the AT, but I see plenty of people fishing without licenses here in PA. In fact on opening day of trout, most people I saw had no license. Guess theres not enough game wardens to enforce anything here. Haven't heard of anyone being arrested for it, I thought they just gave you a ticket. Guess I was misinformed.

Beg to differ. I have seen plenty of wardens while trout fishing in Pa. Especially in areas that are special regulation waters, like catch and release, etc. That happens to be the case for two prime spots I'd suggest any hiker who wants to fish for trout on the trail in Pa.

The trail crosses Clarks Creek right before crossing Clarks Valley Road (325). The area from where the trail crosses, downstream about a mile (if memory serves me) is a fly fishing only delayed harvest area, which means fly fishing only (duh!) and no keeping any fish prior to June 15. There may be an area upstream that is not under those regs, but I can't vouch for the quality of the fishing.

Another very fine area is the Yellow Breeches at Boiling Springs, including the small run from the lake to the main stream. Again, this is a special reg area.

One other suggestion would be the upper reaches of Stony Creek, which is a little north of Clarks (trailwise). I don't think there are any special regs on that water, aside from needing a license. And since there is no auto access, my guess would be you'd be unlikely to encounter a warden. That is not a suggestion or endorsement of fishing without a license, just an observation. You get caught, I ain't paying your fine.

I think Jman is right, though. In Pa. it is a citation and fine.