PDA

View Full Version : What color of Nimbus Ozone

gohawks
10-25-2008, 08:30
Lapis/Indigo

or Burnt Brick

http://www.backcountry.com/store/GRG0015/Granite-Gear-Nimbus-Ozone-Backpack-3800cu-in.html

Important question right?

Thanks!

Phreak
10-25-2008, 08:57
I have the lapis/indigo.

JERMM
10-25-2008, 11:12
I like the lapis/indigo

Footslogger
10-25-2008, 12:42
I've got the blue and gray one ...

'Slogger

Nest
10-25-2008, 15:28
I'm gonna be different and say go with the burnt brick. I don't think I saw a single one this year that color. All the outfitters just carry the blue one, so everyone on the trail has the blue one. Carry the red one and people will be jealous. Plus it will make it easier to spot your pack when they are all lined up in front of a store and there are usually one or two nimbus along with yours. Another cool benefit for others is that when they get to town and see a bunch of packs in front of a store they instantly recognize yours and come in to say hi. We always checked to see what packs were in the hostel/grocery stores/restaurants to see who was in town.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2008, 15:31
More important than color is make sure you're positive yo're getting the right size, especially if you plan to buy your pack on-line.

Footslogger
10-25-2008, 16:14
More important than color is make sure you're positive yo're getting the right size, especially if you plan to buy your pack on-line.
============================

Couldn't have said it better myself. I got mine on-line (used) from a guy in Japan ...but I had already owned the Vapor Trail and knew my torso length and the right pack size. Good news about the Nimbus Ozone though is that there is a couple inches of adjustment.

'Slogger

gohawks
10-25-2008, 17:57
Yeah, I hear you on that. I have an 18 inch torso length. I am always in between sizes in seems. Even on the GG Ozone Nimbus I am at the extreme end either way.

Keep it coming!

Appalachian Tater
10-25-2008, 18:34
Get the rust color instead of the blue. There may come a time out in the woods when you do not want to be conspicuous and the brick color will blend in better. It also lessens your visual impact on the environment and is consistent with LNT priniples.

Same idea applies to tents, jackets, and other equipment. Greens, browns, greys and blacks are generally better than red, blue, orange, etc.

The only exception would be to protect yourself from hunters or if you want to be found, such as in an emergency.

gohawks
10-25-2008, 22:26
'nother question for you GG NO owners.

What do you think of the load lifters? I tried a pack on and it was not really what I expected from the load lifters, the angle was flatter than I'm used to and it didn't seem like much happened when I cinched them up either, as least not like I'm used to on a back with a more traditional frame with stays.....was it just me?

FamilyGuy
10-26-2008, 21:56
Red is for chicks. You a chick? :D

The load lifters should be no less than about 35 degrees on that pack. Have you adjusted the torso sufficiently - you may need to lower the shoulder straps.

Egads
10-26-2008, 22:04
Special order Fuscha

gohawks
10-26-2008, 22:26
Red is for chicks. You a chick? :D

The load lifters should be no less than about 35 degrees on that pack. Have you adjusted the torso sufficiently - you may need to lower the shoulder straps.

According to the owner's manual ideally there is a 1 inch differential between the top of the shoulder strap and where the webbing for the load lifter attaches to the pack.

For me where the load lifter attaches to the pack is at the same level as the shoulder strap.

I have adjusted the torso to the top of the framesheet, which on the short torso model is where it should be for an 18 inch torso measurement.

I guess I could try a long torso model and then it would be on the bottom end of the framesheet adjustment?

FamilyGuy
10-26-2008, 22:37
Mmmmm...yes, sounds like you may need the Regular size model...

gohawks
10-26-2008, 22:44
Buying packs online is a really poor way to get a good fit. Just an FYI for those of you who are as stupid as me!

FamilyGuy
10-26-2008, 23:49
gohawks - I have done it several times! Don't feel bad. Unfortunately finding the right gear is an iterative process that can take some time!

trailale
10-27-2008, 00:17
I have this pack. I also was an 18 inch and bought the short torso. It was waay too short and I had to go to the reg size torso. Love the pack. Re: color, I think the brown is an older model. If the pack is unused, I'm sure GG will let you swap it for the larger size.

gohawks
10-27-2008, 10:25
i'll see if GG will exchange for a larger size.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this pack. The sil-nylon construction makes me a bit nervious with durability. When I loaded it up I worried about things poking through the fabric or ripping seams.

I really liked my Z55 in terms of its organization and how it rode (really could shift weight around) but it was just a wee bit too long in the medium and too short in the small.

No adjustment in the torso lenght proved to be the deal breaker. I want something that fits perfect.

I really want a 3300-3800 ci pack that fits my torso and can carry ~30 lbs

I don't want it to break the bank either.

FamilyGuy
10-27-2008, 11:25
I have never had a problem with tearing the body of the Ozone. It is not silnylon construction but instead Cordura, which is much stronger. The stitching is better than that on my ULA Equipment Circuit, although I suspect the fabric on that pack is tougher.

Be rest assured that the Ozone is very tough indeed. Trauma carried one (a Meridian which is the same as the Ozone except for a vertical zipper access and top pocket) for 10,000 miles. It still looked pretty good. Have a search on the GG website.

gohawks
10-27-2008, 13:17
I have never had a problem with tearing the body of the Ozone. It is not silnylon construction but instead Cordura, which is much stronger.

No doubt that if it can handle Justin's trip it can handle what I can throw at it.

I know they reinforcement panels are cordura, but the main pack body is 70D ripstop nylon, and it sure seems to be silcone impregnated or at least coated.

We'll see what GG has to say about an exchange, otherwise I think I might try a Jansport Big Bear 63.

Who knows. Maybe I should have just kept the Z55 :banana

sheepdog
10-27-2008, 15:04
Buying packs online is a really poor way to get a good fit. Just an FYI for those of you who are as stupid as me!
I used to work at a sporting goods store. People would come in, get measured and fitted for packs and then write down everything and leave. You know they were going to buy on line. One time it was a family of five and I spent over an hour on them. It was frustrating.

gohawks
11-04-2008, 21:38
GG was super cool and exchanged a regular torso with me. It also solved the color issue as all they had was blue, lol.

Much better fit, I also swapped out for the correct shoulder harness bar, shoulder straps, and hip belt.

VERY adjustable pack, just what I was looking for.

I do wish it had some more pockets for organization, but I'll live.

hperry
11-05-2008, 11:57

really depends on what pack you are buying and its adjustability.

The 'expert' pack fitters at the outfitters are just going to measure you with a tape measure, something you can do at home.