PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Section/Thru Hike

Wrangler88
10-26-2008, 16:47
In July I'll be doing a section hike from Harper's Ferry south to just north of the Smokies. What weather conditions am I going to be facing?

I plan to wear light weight hiking shorts and a short sleeve wicking t shirt. I also planned to carry a TNF button up long sleeve shirt, my marmot rain jacket and some rain pants I bought at bass pro. Will this set up keep me comfortable on the trail or do I need to add or leave something? What do you recomend for summer rain gear on the AT?

Wrangler88
10-26-2008, 16:50
I also meant to mention that I plan to thru hike starting in May of 2010 (Late start due to college). And I have the same questions for leaving Georgia heading north in May.

Christopher Robin
10-26-2008, 17:22
I also will be leveing Springer at the middle of March next year. I'mm a 4 seacon from MA. and should I carry a Down jacket for when I get into camp at the end of the day?

Dirtygaiters
10-26-2008, 18:16
There's a lot of articles and past threads on this website concerning this exact subject. A forum search would be highly productive.

For July, if you think you'll be able to regulate heat during the day and be comfortable down to the 40s at night in you sleeping bag, you should be fine. For a thru hike, I really suggest you search the forum or read some of the articles concerning this subject. The answer is it depends on the person, and what types of clothes he/she prefers. Basically you'll need more warm clothes at the start of a thru than after the warm season gets underway. A down jacket is a very good idea for evenings and early mornings in March.

Wrangler88
10-26-2008, 18:37
Oh, thank you. Kind of new to the site. Didn't even know about the search feature. I really appreciate it.

bigcranky
10-26-2008, 19:34
For the July hike, it'll be warm going on hot. There may be occasional cool nights in the 50s. Mid-summer is the only time of year I skip carrying a rain shell and rain pants, and just carry a poncho. I sweat like a pig, and I like to have dry clothes to change into, so I carry a spare set of hiking shorts and a second short sleeve wicking shirt. For warmth I carry a Marmot Driclime wind shirt, but any long sleeve shirt will probably do.