PDA

View Full Version : Which trail would you choose?

Mrs Baggins
10-26-2008, 18:52
Okay, price to get there is no object. Time off is not a problem. You can pick any trail in the world to do end to end. Which one would you pick? You can name a 2nd choice as well. This has nothing to do with picking the longest trail or the hardest trail (that's subjective). Just, where would you go?

I'd pick West Highland Way first and Inca Trail 2nd.

Homer&Marje
10-26-2008, 19:00
Finger Lakes trail. And I want to finish the Tahoe Rim Trail.

wcgornto
10-26-2008, 19:20
I don't think there's a continuous, formal trail, but I'd like to thru hike the Andes.

Mrs Baggins
10-26-2008, 19:43
I don't think there's a continuous, formal trail, but I'd like to thru hike the Andes.

Wasn't there going to be a couple at The Gathering that did the entire Andes? :confused: I don't know if there's one trail for that, but apparently there's a way to do it.

brianos
10-26-2008, 20:37
One place to which I would love to return are the Allgäu Alps along the German/Austrian border. I spent a weekend in 2003 in Obsertdorf and fell in love with the area!

Cookerhiker
10-26-2008, 22:27
So many trails, so little time!

Among trails I haven't done yet and want to: Wonderland, Colorado, Inca, Tahoe Rim, Superior, trails in Ireland (I've done the Dingle Way), Scotland, Norway, the Pyrannies, Alps.

brianos
10-26-2008, 23:49
One place to which I would love to return are the Allgäu Alps along the German/Austrian border. I spent a weekend in 2003 in Obsertdorf and fell in love with the area!

Thought I would share a few favorite memories from this trip! The first photo shows part of the trail leading up to the top of Söllereck along the German-Austrian border. The second photo is a view looking south from a saddle near the summit of the Nebelhorn; the Seealpsee is in the foreground, between it and the next ridge lies the Oytal valley, and beyond lie the Austrian Alps. Both photos frequently serve as my desktop wallpaper :)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%60http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5035&stc=1&d=1225078881

JAK
10-26-2008, 23:56
I would do the IAT starting at Katahdin to Gaspe, then kayak to Newfoundland, then finish the IAT in Newfoundland, then kayak to Labrador and up the Labrador coast and on then sail on to Greenland and...

Bearpaw
10-27-2008, 00:01
Either the Highland Trail through Scotland, Coast-to-Coast through England, or St Olav's Way in Norway.

Sly
10-27-2008, 00:11
I'd like to do the Pyrenees and the Milford Track in NZ.

JAK
10-27-2008, 00:24
Either the Highland Trail through Scotland, Coast-to-Coast through England, or St Olav's Way in Norway.I was getting there eventually. LOL

Red Hat
10-27-2008, 03:13
Money no object, I'd hike the Israel Trail.... but since money is an object, it's the AT or the PCT

Mrs Baggins
10-27-2008, 04:54
Either the Highland Trail through Scotland, Coast-to-Coast through England, or St Olav's Way in Norway.

Yep, I'd have to add Coast to Coast, too!

MOWGLI
10-27-2008, 07:29
Bibblulmun Track (http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/)in Oz.

WalkingStick75
10-27-2008, 07:51
IAT and then more hiking in the German/Austrian Alps.

The Solemates
10-27-2008, 11:09
Cdt.......

Lyle
10-27-2008, 11:44
To be totally honest, first CDT/CT (finish both in entirety. Second, Sea to Sea Route.

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 11:49
Superior, TransCanada, AT, AT, AT.

geek

Texasgirl
10-27-2008, 12:41
CDT - staying right here in the USA.

Mags
10-27-2008, 13:22
I am plotting my escape... Getting itchy feet. Its only a matter of when not IF again...

Right now the Arizona Trail in March/April followed by the Pacific NW Trail or the Great Divide Trail (Canada) stating in late June early/July :)

Yeah. Two trails...but its my hike. :p

Summit
10-27-2008, 16:32
I second the Milford Track in New Zealand. Never been there but I've heard it's incredible.

Oh, I get a second choice, hmmm, John Muir Trail (JMT) if you've never done it. I did it way back in 1977 and it's still my most memorable hike.

Mrs Baggins
10-27-2008, 16:42
[quote=Summit;715758]I second the Milford Track in New Zealand. Never been there but I've heard it's incredible.

Oh, I get a second choice, hmmm, John Muir Trail (JMT) if you've never done it. I did it way back in 1977 and it's still my most memorable hike.[/quote

I have been to New Zealand, both islands, and it is worth every single dime it costs to get there. We were on a trek trip that unfortunately didn't include the tracks but we did cruise Milford Sound and saw a bit of the track. We hiked up near Mt. Cook, did some hiking around Mt. Tangiroro (I probably spelled that wrong), and in some other areas. We'd go back in a heartbeat to do the tracks and live there 6 months every year.

Tipi Walter
10-27-2008, 18:16
In my next life I'd like to set up a permanent tipi on some private land close to the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana and cut a trail from my lodge thru the forest and enter the wilderness on foot. Work one day a week for food in some god-forsaken town and spend the rest of my time living out.

A long trail? Any would work.

Dogwood
10-27-2008, 19:35
Yellowstone loop(Bechler Trl and Lamaar valley, 09), CDT(2010), Hayduke(09), PCT again, Zion (80 mile loop, including the Subway and Virgin River narrows(09), New Zealand(ALL), Colorado Trl., Yosemite(High Sierra Route,09), Patagonia(Fitzroys, Torre del Paine), Inca Tr.. Volcanoes NP(125 mile end to end) Just to name a few. I can add more.

Hooch
10-27-2008, 19:58
Mountains to Sea trail right here in NC! :banana

warraghiyagey
10-27-2008, 20:59
Copernicus Crater. That would be sweet, packs would seem waayyyyy lighter.:)

Feral Bill
10-27-2008, 21:04
AT, childhood dream. May be a while, work and all.

2nd, maybe the Pyranees. Or maybe the Pennine Way

strates
10-28-2008, 02:12
For my Andes Dream, I am look at either of Cordillera Huayhuash or Cordillera Blanco.

The Austrialian Alps Walking Trail is also quite intriquing.

But since both of those are semi-realistic, and we are looking for mythical here, lets say a traverse of Eurasia, from Scandanavia to Siberia.

mtt37849
10-28-2008, 02:43
The AT hands down followed by the PCT.
Has anyone done both, not back to back but just have done both the AT and PCT.

Summit
10-28-2008, 06:45
The AT hands down followed by the PCT.
Has anyone done both, not back to back but just have done both the AT and PCT.There are several "Triple Crown'ers" (PCT, CDT, AT) here on WB. Maybe they will speak up.

Egads
10-28-2008, 06:48
CDT Glacier National Park NOBO to Jasper National Park or the PCT including the JMT section North.

Cookerhiker
10-28-2008, 07:41
...The Austrialian Alps Walking Trail is also quite intriquing.....

I walked a bit on this trail last November - you're right, it is fascinating. Will I return? Not sure. Also want to hike Tasmania.

Hooch
10-28-2008, 07:52
Also want to hike Tasmania.Be careful! :D

http://i-love-cartoons.com/snags/clipart/Looney-Toons/Taz/Taz-Tornado.jpg

Mrs Baggins
10-28-2008, 08:04
Yellowstone loop(Bechler Trl and Lamaar valley, 09), CDT(2010), Hayduke(09), PCT again, Zion (80 mile loop, including the Subway and Virgin River narrows(09), New Zealand(ALL), Colorado Trl., Yosemite(High Sierra Route,09), Patagonia(Fitzroys, Torre del Paine), Inca Tr.. Volcanoes NP(125 mile end to end) Just to name a few. I can add more.

Did Patagonia in 2006 with Trek America. All I can say is Holy Crap. Steep and then steeper. Unbelievable winds all the time. :eek: At Fitzroy I had to throw myself to the ground to keep from getting blown over a cliff. And some of the most awesome scenery and views on the planet. You just keep staring at it and saying "That's just not real. That can't be real." I wish I had the photos on the computer. They were on a desktop that is long since gone. I do have them all as prints in an album at least.

fiddlehead
10-28-2008, 08:31
One country I'd like to hike in is Borneo.
It is not far from where i live and has some awesome mountains and trails.

Mt Kinabaru comes to mind first although perhaps a bit touristy.
I've sailed past Borneo but never stopped. (visas were tough at the time but have eased up tremendously)

Anyway, i doubt it'll happen. Money and time aren't the problem. But my 3 year old probably couldn't handle the climbs.

JAK
10-28-2008, 08:41
This thread may have changed my life!

I asked my wife, who is not a hiker, or a camper, or even a motel person, if she were to ever go on a 2 or 3 month hike with Margaret and I when Margaret is older, where would it be. She pick the Santiago de Compostela, which is one that I have always wanted to do. I also asked her if she had ever had to do something like that with her dad, who is passed away now, what age would she have liked to have done it. She said about 15 or so, which would be in about 5 years time for our Margaret. So this could lead to something good. Thanks.

warraghiyagey
10-28-2008, 09:28
Definite best wishes on that one for you and your family JAK.:sun:sun

Mrs Baggins
10-28-2008, 09:41

I asked my wife, who is not a hiker, or a camper, or even a motel person, if she were to ever go on a 2 or 3 month hike with Margaret and I when Margaret is older, where would it be. She pick the Santiago de Compostela, which is one that I have always wanted to do. I also asked her if she had ever had to do something like that with her dad, who is passed away now, what age would she have liked to have done it. She said about 15 or so, which would be in about 5 years time for our Margaret. So this could lead to something good. Thanks.

***humble bow in true Hobbit fashion*** Hiking changed my life in so many ways and I am always eager to show other people how it can change theirs for the better.

Since most people are posting a whole bunch of hikes then I need to add to my list - no particular order - just as I think of them)

Santiago de Compostela
Mt Kilimanjaro
All of the NZ tracks
The rest of the AT
Cape Breton Nova Scotia
Any trail in the UK
Katmandu to Base Camp at Everest (no desire to climb that mountain)
Inca Trail

Dogwood
10-28-2008, 11:43
Did Patagonia in 2006 with Trek America. All I can say is Holy Crap. Steep and then steeper. Unbelievable winds all the time. :eek: At Fitzroy I had to throw myself to the ground to keep from getting blown over a cliff. And some of the most awesome scenery and views on the planet. You just keep staring at it and saying "That's just not real. That can't be real." I wish I had the photos on the computer. They were on a desktop that is long since gone. I do have them all as prints in an album at least.

THANX, Mrs. Baggins. U just jacked me up another notch. ANTICIPATION! Feb-Mar 09 I'll be there. It wouldn't take much of a stiff breeze to send U soaring!

Dogwood
10-28-2008, 11:45
the At Hands Down Followed By The Pct.
Has Anyone Done Both, Not Back To Back But Just Have Done Both The At And Pct.

At 06. Pct 08. Cdt 10

Marta
10-28-2008, 12:13

IMO 15 is not a great age for this sort of thing. Better then than never, but 15-year-olds are particularly absorbed in following their own agendas--texting their friends, chasing boys, etc. Even my daughter, who is one of the more intellectually curious people around (she's working on a PhD in Russian literature), at the age of 15 preferred to sulk in her hotel room and watch MTV instead of seeing the sights of Europe. The phase passed, but it was at its height when she was 15.

I will not go into the shenanigans I pulled when my grandparents took me to Portugal ("the old country") when I was 15.

Frankly I think you'll be better off trying to do it when she's 11 or 12.

Tilly
10-28-2008, 12:37
I would like to go to Bhutan.

Here in North America, I would like to go to Isle Royale, Canadian Rockies, and the Adirondacks...for now.

Mrs Baggins
10-28-2008, 13:13
IMO 15 is not a great age for this sort of thing. Better then than never, but 15-year-olds are particularly absorbed in following their own agendas--texting their friends, chasing boys, etc. Even my daughter, who is one of the more intellectually curious people around (she's working on a PhD in Russian literature), at the age of 15 preferred to sulk in her hotel room and watch MTV instead of seeing the sights of Europe. The phase passed, but it was at its height when she was 15.

I will not go into the shenanigans I pulled when my grandparents took me to Portugal ("the old country") when I was 15.

Frankly I think you'll be better off trying to do it when she's 11 or 12.

No one knows your daughter better than you do but I'd have to agree here - 15 may be just the wrong age to go. We took our daughter to Hawaii with us when she was 15. For two solid weeks if we went to the beach I'd hear "Is this all we're going to do?" If we went shopping "Is this all we're going to do?" If we went sightseeing "I'm bored. Isn't there anything else to do here." When we went again the next year and she demanded to go along I told here the game of "I don't want to go but you have to take me!" had ended. Instead I got her a small TV for her room. Far cheaper than the trip and she enjoyed more. She's 27 now and still has never gone back.

Summit
10-28-2008, 13:14
I'd love to do the Everest South Camp (17K+ ft) trek in Nepal, not only for the scenery, but also to experience the Nepalese Sherpa culture.

Summit
10-28-2008, 13:18
Our daughter put her brain and personality in deep freeze from 14-16. Couldn't communicate much more than a grunt out of her. For most teens, those are terrible years. Now at 18 she's blossoming into a wonderful young lady.

yappy
11-15-2008, 11:43
would love to traverse the brooks range in alaska , CDT... hey mags, will be on the azt in march- april too... hopefully

Spirit Walker
11-15-2008, 12:43
Yappy - I agree, I'd like to traverse the Brooks Range - and/or go up the Dempster and hike the Tombstone area. It was beautiful.

I definitely want to do the CDT again, it's my favorite. I'd also like to hike the Pyranees and do the Tour de Mont Blanc and the Torres del Paine and the Routeburn - if I had money, which I don't. Alaska and the CDT are real possibilities because they're closer, though a long trip in Alaska would get expensive because of the need to airdrop supplies. So that is probably a pipe dream. We may hike the PCT again and/or the AT. It has been a long time since I've done them and I'd like to see how they've changed.

yappy
11-15-2008, 17:04
Hi Sw, yeah... it would be spendy to drop in the brookies. But, I have friends with planes they might help for alot less. The Cdt has eluded me so far. I hoped for it in 09 but an aging dog keeps me from being gone too long. the azt will have to do. The Pnt and gdt are also on the ever growing list ! The economy is kinda spooky now though. I have my jar of change going.. Ha..

neighbor dave
11-15-2008, 17:24
:-?just keep walkin':-?

yappy
11-15-2008, 17:29
Hi ya dillweed !

Mrs Baggins
11-15-2008, 19:30
I just had to post something to show my new location! Out of South Carolina and officially living in Alexandria Virginia! Woo Hoo! :)

saimyoji
11-15-2008, 19:49
Copernicus Crater. That would be sweet, packs would seem waayyyyy lighter.:)

Olympus Mons.

hehehehe.....i said mons.....:cool:

Mags
11-15-2008, 20:09
Olympus Mons.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/151066/olympus-mons.html#chapter_3

Has some trip ideas and tips...

Cuppa Joe
11-17-2008, 22:37
I have had the idea of trying to hike "around" the US without jumping around .. tell the truth I am in the very, very early thinking stages of it .. IAT south .. Pinhoit to Florida trail .. Florida Trail south .. Florida Trail North .. west from there do not know .. PCT north ., Pacific Northwest Trail East .. Ice Age Trail .. etc, etc

Truly would like to try it :)

Red Hat
11-18-2008, 11:15
Wow! Sounds like a Lion King kind of hike, but Cuppa, you could do it! (if those knees hold up)

Frau
11-20-2008, 14:44
Roraima!!!

Nepal!!

Glacier NP! What will I most likely get to hike?--Glacier. Roraima is a distinct possibility, though.

I am so ready to go away. I am blessed to have the job I have (teaching, and the advanced students, no less), but I have finally reached that point in my life when I KNOW I would be far happier retired, hiking, traveling, canoeing and kayaking.

Frau

[Mrs. Baggins--how can you be happy about living in Alexandria? (asks the Arlington ex-patriot). I know...different strokes for different folks.]

Shutterbug
11-20-2008, 15:04
Okay, price to get there is no object. Time off is not a problem. You can pick any trail in the world to do end to end. Which one would you pick? You can name a 2nd choice as well. This has nothing to do with picking the longest trail or the hardest trail (that's subjective). Just, where would you go?

I'd pick West Highland Way first and Inca Trail 2nd.

I have hiked a number of the trails mentioned, but keep going back to the Grand Canyon. My next "big" hike is the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim.

taildragger
11-20-2008, 15:13
Start at campo and end in Anchorage. That would be awesome.

taildragger
11-20-2008, 15:13
Maybe top the trip of with a Denali summit

Manwich
11-20-2008, 15:24

This ^^^

yappy
11-22-2008, 10:41
y2y would be awesome..

DavidNH
11-22-2008, 12:43
I think right now my top choice would be the GR 5 that goes from Holland to Nice and traverses the French Alps!

Second choice, the IAT from Katahdin to Gaspe.

Third choice, the PCT, but skipping the desert part in the south.

David

Bilbo
11-22-2008, 18:36
Being a novice hiker I have yet to finish the AT. So I guess this is the one that I would like to hike the most......I just need to win the lottery or my son get one of his books published....Oh well I guess I will just have to do it one section at a time.

As someone else has already said.....so much trail and so little time.

twoshoes06
11-23-2008, 20:21
I would like to hike the CDT, but continue it on down through Central America into the Andes and Patagonia.. how long would that be?

2nd place would be from Coast to Coast because it wouldn't be the same type of hiking all the time.. ocean...mountains...prairie...mountains...ocean, or something like that.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 13:59
Camino de Santiago (Spain), Via Francigena (Rome-Canterbury), hike through Switzerland or England (pub to pub) and then the Alps.

sheepdog
12-16-2009, 14:02
Gotta be hiking in New Zealand. Beautiful trails

Kerosene
12-16-2009, 14:21
Outside of the CONUS, definitely the South Island of New Zealand, the Kalalau Trail along the Nā Pali Coast on Kauai, some of the hikeable high peaks of the Alps (no technical climbing for me!), Machu Picchu, the Scottish Highlands, and maybe Kilimanjaro, Hadrian's Wall, and GR10 in the Pyrenees.

Of course, most of these would come after my completing the AT, and then the John Muir, Cohos, and Wonderland trails. The real problem will be time and aging of select body parts.

JokerJersey
12-16-2009, 14:36
I'd love to finish the "Triple Crown" one day, but at the moment, I'm not even going to attempt to focus on anything other than the AT. Gotta face facts, if everyone who "wanted" to thru the AT made it, there wouldn't be a 75% attrition rate. So for now...the AT. After that, we'll see. :D

echoes
12-16-2009, 19:34
My dream is to complete the Triple Crown, but I'd love to hike any one of them, preferably the PCT or CDT.

After that, the Te Aroroa in New Zealand looks amazing.

LiamNZ
12-16-2009, 20:41
My dream is to complete the Triple Crown, but I'd love to hike any one of them, preferably the PCT or CDT.

After that, the Te Aroroa in New Zealand looks amazing.

Yep, definitely. I live in New Zealand and I'm still in high school for another year (probably) but after that I may end up hiking the Te Araroa trail from Cape Reinga to Bluff. It looks so beautiful.

Dogwood
12-16-2009, 21:28
End to end Te Aroroa in New Zealand, Andes(from Bolivia to the southern tip of S America, mostly bushwacking), CDT, and the recently designated Great Tibet/Nepal Trl.

Heck, you could spend a lifetime in the U.S. alone giving some very serious extremely worthy hiking time to the National Parks. And, what about the Canadian NPs? They are no slouches either!

Mags
12-17-2009, 00:01
And, what about the Canadian NPs? They are no slouches either!

Off-trail in Banff NP this past summer. Life is good...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10518_158628365020_563440020_3932261_449320_n.jpg

LiamNZ
12-17-2009, 00:06
End to end Te Aroroa in New Zealand

If you need any information about Te Araroa don't hesitate to ask as I have been researching it for a while.