PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating Risotto?

KarenM982
10-26-2008, 20:19
Has anyone tried dehydrating risotto? Ive made meals with rice, cous cous, and pasta, but wanted to expand to risotto. Does it take a while to rehydrate, or no longer than the other grains? Thanks!

mumbles mcgee
02-09-2010, 01:43
Just want to bring this thread back to life. Anyone try this? I've found some good risotto in the natural foods section of the grocery store that takes 20 minutes to cook & you only need to add olive oil (I think..). It comes in 4-5 diffferent flavors, i really like the Parmesan flavor but found the Tuscan Spice one to be pretty offensive.

RollingStone
02-09-2010, 07:59
Dries like rice. Nice and easy.

Cakon
02-09-2010, 10:09
I make faux risotto. Instant brown rice, chicken bullion cube, sundried tomatos, water and stir it a ton to make a paste while it cooks. I add lots parm at the end. Yum.

sarbar
02-09-2010, 20:11
One secret for making a faux risotto on the trail with instant rice is to add butter at the end. Melt a Tablespoon or two in, then add lots of Parmesan cheese. That thickens it nicely.

While risotto will dry (it is rice after all) you have to leave the butter/oil and cheese out for best results and add those in when rehydrating.

RollingStone
02-10-2010, 12:08
They only way to make "real" risotto is by browning slightly in a bit of butter or olive oil. Traditionally, your final act when taking Risotto off the stove is to add butter and parmesan.

If you're going to dry, skip the last step if you feel like it, but just because something has butter, oil or cheese doesn't mean it wont dry well. It will just have a different texture in the dryer and because of the fat content your storage temprature will have an effect on wether it stays good or goes rancid.

Overall, Risotto will dry like regular rice, it's easy, just a bit clumpier due to Parmesan and butter if you have included that.

If you do skip the parmesan and cheese, clarified butter works well for this in camp.

geomaniac
02-11-2010, 23:23
I dont know about risotto, but this website has lots of awesome taste treats for cooking on the trail! I stayed up late last night reading his whole journal..hes quite a good writer as well as cook!

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html