PDA

View Full Version : Ursack

rmtjr
03-25-2004, 22:39
Anyone with experience using the Ursack bear bag, especially along the AT? The Ursack is not approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, but I haven't found a position or regulations about it from the Forest Service in the eastern U.S.

Happy
03-25-2004, 22:43
No problem using...just not needed...read our own "Skeemer" journals for his 2003 AT thru hike as he used one, and would not use again...trailjournals,com

chris
03-26-2004, 08:44
In 2002, Daddymention saw an Ursack chewed into by rodents in GA. He gave his away the next day.

Peaks
03-26-2004, 08:48
I think there was a fairly recent thread elsewhere on this topic. Generally speaking, not necessary along the AT. Usually where there are bear problems, there are bear cables, bear boxes, or bear poles to hang your food.

Now, if I were staying at the popular sites in the Adirondacks, I think I will carry a bear canister.

hungryhowie
03-26-2004, 11:50
Anyone with experience using the Ursack bear bag, especially along the AT? The Ursack is not approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, but I haven't found a position or regulations about it from the Forest Service in the eastern U.S.

Ursack has changed the material since then. They've also said that while rodents can occasionally chew small holes in the fabric because of their sharp and pointed teeth, that even these small holes present no increased risk of a bear (which has large and dull (at least in comparison with rodents) teeth) gaining entry.

I've been using the original Ursack for about 3 years now. I've been satisfied with it, though I've never had it tested by a bear. I no longer worry with hanging my food in bear trouble areas, I just tie it to a tree like they recommend. To each his own, I say. If the idea appeals to you, go for it. If not, you can save significant weight by using a silnylon stuffsac. The new Ursack is the green TKO. You can visit their site to learn more.

BTW, there are no bear regulations (at least regarding food storage) in the East that I am aware of. Ursacks have had an unfortunate history in the Sierra, though I might suggest that the black bears in the Yosemite area are a bit...hmm...smarter than the average bear...

-Howie

rmtjr
03-26-2004, 18:58
Thanks for your comments. I realized after I pushed the "Submit" button that this topic was more appropriate on the Gear thread.
Bob