PDA

View Full Version : ME>GA 2004 roll call

TJ aka Teej
03-25-2004, 23:39
Who is heading southbound this year? Figured out your start dates yet?
Made reservations? Transportation plans? Bought your gallon of DEET?
Do you prefer "sobos", "MEGAs", or "Directionally Challenged"? :D

Singletrack
03-26-2004, 07:40
I mailed in my reservations to Baxter several weeks ago, but have not heard back yet. But was told on the phone that June 20 and 21st. were available. I also listed 2 alternative dates. So I should be leaving Katahdin somewhere thereabouts. As far as transportation, maybe a flight to Boston, bus to Bangor, bus to Medway. Taxi or hitch to Hostel in Millinockett for 2 nights. Taxi to the Park. Any other ideas? I do have my deet, as a matter of fact, its left over from my 2000 hike. Have not had any use for it here in Georgia. I am sure most, especially NOBOs, think I am directionally challenged. This hike, hopefully will end in Harpers Ferry. I did Ga.-WVa. in 1999.

oyvay
03-26-2004, 14:01
I hope you have a tent or a tarp with netting, because the BLACK FLIES will make you feel like a soda with a straw. They can be really bad in the spring. A few years ago I met a SOBO at Katahdin Stream and he told me he was carrying a small tent so he could sleep in peace, but his pack was a golite type. What ever you choose good luck and may the insects stay away!

Singletrack
03-26-2004, 14:42
Yes, I have a tarp tent with bug netting, and a floor. also have a bug net for my head. And plenty of deet. Long pants, Ls shirt etc. As far as a Golite Pack, no I dont, but what difference does that make?

melnooshca
03-26-2004, 15:25
im headed sobo on july 1 or 2...my parents are kind/supportive enough to drive me up there. as for the bugs, haven't bought deet yet, but no worries..i will. is anyone else beginning their hike around this time.?

Toofarafoot
03-26-2004, 16:19
When you speak of reservations, is this just for a campsite, or for the ascent of Katahdin? I plan to head south from katahdin in mid-July, but already have motel reservations in Millinocket for a week. Can I just drive up to Baxter anyday during this week to climb the mtn (weather permitting), or are reservations needed just for hiking?

Toofarafoot

TJ aka Teej
03-26-2004, 23:43
When you speak of reservations, is this just for a campsite, or for the ascent of Katahdin? I plan to head south from katahdin in mid-July, but already have motel reservations in Millinocket for a week. Can I just drive up to Baxter anyday during this week to climb the mtn (weather permitting), or are reservations needed just for hiking?

Toofarafoot

The reservations are for camping, none are needed for entering the Park or climbing. The reason we talk reservations for southbounders is that they are not allowed to stay at the Birches - it's reserved for northbound long distance hikers only. If you stay the night before and the night after your climb, you can get on the Trail extra early before the crowds, and you can rest up after your big day before heading out the 9+ miles to Abol Bridge. In mid July you'll need to get to the gate before it opens in the morning to assure you get one of the limited parking spots at the trailheads. They fill fast, and those lots are closed when they reach capacity.

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2004, 00:23
The Whiteblaze Thruhikers List at
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=39057#post39057post39057
lists these southbounders:
Bob McCaw
Rambunny
lowthesd
Grimace
Feedbag
dgodwin7
responding to this post (so far) are:
Toofarafoot
Melnooshca
Singletrack
In another thread, changing from GAME to MEGA is:
Alpine
That's a lot of MEGA hikers! :banana

Laura28764
05-28-2004, 10:42
Just wanted to add my name to the list of 2004 southbounders! I'll be leaving my job at the Len Foote Hike Inn, near Springer Mountain, to fly to Maine and then walk back home, following in the footsteps of my dad (Peregrin, MEGA '73) and brother (Optimus Prime, MEGA '00). My dad's going to hike the 100-mile wilderness with me, and we've got reservations at Baxter June 15th and 16th. I think we're prepared for the bugs!! We'll see! Anyone else starting that week?
See you along the trail!
Laura :)

Singletrack
05-28-2004, 15:34
Laura, I know your Brother (Optimus Prime) We met at the Hikers Paridise in Gorham in 2000. We also hooked up at Traildays in 2001. Hes a UGA grad? Right? Well anyway, tell him Hello. I will be SOBO this year, and look foward to meeting you, and your Dad. See you at Baxter on the 16th.

steve hiker
05-28-2004, 21:09
Best of luck to you, Laura. Glad to see you're keeping the family tradition alive.

As one who is becoming more determined to carve out the time for an AT thru, I envy you. So far I have not had the will to do it, but the time is coming. Cause tomorrow you (we all) will die.

And when I do go, I will go SOBO. I grew up taking vacations with my family to the GSMNP, and have started my section hiking there, so going SOBO will truly be like "walking home." Let us know how your 2004 ME-GA goes. :sun