PDA

View Full Version : July 2009 SOBO

hikergirl1120
10-27-2008, 06:29
Hello all...new to this network

I am planning a SOBO trip starting July 1st and I was curious if anyone else out there may be doing the same??

It would be nice to get any advice as this is my first AT Thru hike. I am a solo hiker at this point but I am interested in meeting others who plan on hiking around the same time.

Anyways any response would be well appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Red Hat
10-27-2008, 06:36
July 1st is a great time to start. I was on Katahdin July 1st this year. You'll have lots of company. Advice... practice rock climbing without a rope...bouldering, get in shape - Maine is tough! But it's beautiful... My personal opinion is that SOBO hikes should be reserved for experienced hikers (I thought I was one, but I've only done the southern half) If you can, I'd recommend a NOBO for a first timer.

hikergirl1120
10-27-2008, 07:28
Well I plan on hiking the entire trail so I have to go through ME at some point and honestly I would rather get through it right away.

Red Hat
10-27-2008, 07:41
True, but if you start in the south, you're ready for it when you get there. When you start at the hardest point, well... I headed home after 10 days... but then again, I'm not in my 20s.

Donnie
10-27-2008, 08:42
I am graduating from college on May 17th and, as a result, will be going SOBO. Although I was at first concerned about going south, I find that it is becoming more and more appealing with each passing week. Some people may urge you to take a NOBO route but, as they say, you have to hike your own hike.

I also am planning on starting right around July 1st but my transportation plans are still in flux so we'll see when I finally arrive. See you there!

-Donnie

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2008, 08:58
Hello all...new to this network

I am planning a SOBO trip starting July 1st and I was curious if anyone else out there may be doing the same??

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422
:welcome to WhiteBlaze! Don't forget to check WB's MEGA forum!
By July over 100 ATers will have left Baxter heading south, and several GAMErs will have finished, so you won't be alone!

jnetx
10-27-2008, 10:13
It would be nice to get any advice as this is my first AT Thru hike.
Thanks!!

My advice would be to find the simplest possible way to get you and your gear to Millinocket, without being too concerned by cost (though obviously it's going to be a factor). I heard too many horror stories of multiday multichange Greyhound bus rides that resulted in tired starts, and multiple lost or delayed backpacks.

In my opinion, the best way to deal with this may be to UPS your entire pack to The AT Lodge to arrive a couple of days before you do. Make sure it's secirely packed, and you can call ahead to make sure it arrived intact. I would also recommend a layover day at the AT Lodge to get those last minute items (fuel, etc.), get yourself together and rested up for the start.

The AT Lodge does a pickup/stay/shuttle package that is very reasonable. The bus from Bangor to Millinocket is in the early evening. It's a real easy way to get there, but you will arrive late in the evening, so havng the following day to sort things out is useful.

BUG SPRAY. Get some. You will need it. My personal favorite is Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. It works as well as, if not better than, 100% deet, and isn't greasy, doesn't melt plastic, etc. We used 100% deet when our Lemon Eucalyptus ran out, and found that while Deet makes you "invisible" to the mosquitoes, the LE actually repels them. The difference was most obvious when only one of us (usually me) but the bug spray on. The deet just stopped me getting so many bites, while the LE actually sent the mosquitoes flying over to my hiking partner! YMMV Lemon Eucalyptus also works great for ticks (if you have a problem with them in your time frame). I have hiked with groups in the past in very tick infested areas, and been the only person in the group not to have ticks attached at the end of the hike. One one hike, myself and a person standing near me when I applied the LE were the only two with no ticks, on the return hike the next day she was not close when I applied it, and she had numerous ticks when we arrived back at the vehicles.

Lemon Eucalyptus is not easily replenishable along the trail, so if you're a heavy user you might want to have several bottles available at home to be sent on to you as needed.

Good luck with your SOBO

hikergirl1120
10-27-2008, 10:52
I think my transportation to ME will be family so I may be able to help another hiker if they can make it to CT. Luckily I live in New England so getting to ME is not that big of a deal. I would def be interested in finding someone to at least hike through ME with....

Marta
10-27-2008, 11:42
Welcome to Whiteblaze, Hikergirl1120!

Definitely check out some of the previous threads on SOBO hiking. There's some good material there.

My comments on going SOBO:

1) You will probably find a lot of your age mates going SOBO, many of them because it works better for people who finish a school year in May or June.

2) I would NOT recommend starting the hike with someone you don't know. It will just add drama and complication to your hike. (Been there, done that.) You will find other hikers starting about the same time you do. If you stay at or near shelters, you will meet other hikers. Probably you will end up hiking with a group or partner who has the same goals and hikes about the same speed you do. (My personal story: My pre-arranged hiking partner quit on Day 1, causing lots of extra drama. I did end up hiking most of Maine with a little group of people who started about the same time I did.)

3) If you are not currently an experienced backpacker, dedicate yourself to becoming one between now and then. Northern Maine is not a great place to get stuck with too heavy a pack or boots that don't fit. There are many weekends and a number of holidays between now and then when you can test your gear and yourself.

4) CT has a decent little rock scramble just north of Kent. (I remember it well.) Up near the MA border there's some good stuff to practice on, too. Being in decent shape really, really helps you get through the initial month of hiking. That's yet another reason to spend as much time as possible hiking and backpacking between now and then. You've got 8 months; use them wisely.

SOBO pride! Good luck!

Penne
10-27-2008, 18:57
I climbed Katahdin in July of '07 in the rain and the cold and the top was completely fogged in, but standing with that sign getting my picture taking I felt like I could do the whole trail. I felt strong and confident. I was ready to start my SOBO. I think Katahdin is a great way to start off a hike.

Maybe I'll see you on the trail--I'll be doing a flipflop thru next year, but mostly going SOBO

hikergirl1120
10-27-2008, 19:07
Cheers to that!!! I have permanent butterflies about this trip!! I can't wait to start!! Thank you so much for your replies!!!

Blissful
10-27-2008, 20:28
Looking forward to hearing about your trip, hope you keep a journal.
Marta is a great contact for a SOBO hike from the female POV. She's been there, done that.

warraghiyagey
10-27-2008, 20:33
Well I plan on hiking the entire trail so I have to go through ME at some point and honestly I would rather get through it right away.
Stick with your own plan girl. Lot's of folks start SOBO every year regardless of their overall hiking experience. Maine is a Great place to start the trail. Enjoy!!:sun:sun

RITBlake
10-28-2008, 10:28
Welcome to Whiteblaze, Hikergirl1120!

Definitely check out some of the previous threads on SOBO hiking. There's some good material there.

My comments on going SOBO:

1) You will probably find a lot of your age mates going SOBO, many of them because it works better for people who finish a school year in May or June.

Agree.

2) I would NOT recommend starting the hike with someone you don't know.

Agree.

3) Northern Maine is not a great place to get stuck with too heavy a pack or boots that don't fit.

Agree 110%

4) CT has a decent little rock scramble just north of Kent. (I remember it well.) Up near the MA border there's some good stuff to practice on, too. Being in decent shape really, really helps you get through the initial month of hiking. That's yet another reason to spend as much time as possible hiking and backpacking between now and then. You've got 8 months; use them wisely.

Marta is referring to St. Johns Ledges.

SOBO pride! Good luck!

Anyway have fun. From a fellow Connecticut person and a fellow Sobo, good luck!

RITBlake
10-28-2008, 10:39
A few helpful tips on going SOBO!

- Carry enough bug spray for the 100 mile wilderness. I had one tiny bottle of deet and I ran out halfway through. Made for some uncomfortable times.

- The soggy conditions in Maine + new hiker can mean blisters for hikers. Begin treating the 'hot spot' as soon as you feel it. It will save you the time and trouble in the long run.

- Don't be overwhelmed by the terrain in Maine. Just take your time and don't push your mileage early. Big mileage days will come.

- When you spend time in shelters or around camp w/ NOBO's don't hesitate to ask questions. They've been hiking for some 2000 miles by the time they reach you and they have it down to a very streamlined science by that point. You can learn a lot and pick up lots of little tricks.

- As you hike in to the fall learn to start your day early and maximize your day light hours. Come Mid October and November the window of hiking time begins to diminish greatly.

Enjoy your hike! Take lots of pictures!

hikergirl1120
10-28-2008, 13:41
I am feeling a little overwhelmed at where or how to even begin planning. I have a lot of pieces and I need to tie them all together. I am thinking it will just start coming together more and more.....any thoughts on this???

Marta
10-28-2008, 13:51
First thing is to prepare yourself to backpack, period. You can use the same stuff to hike the whole AT that you would use to go out for a weekend near home. If you're in school, you can often use outing club equipment. If not, check out the outfitter stores near home and see what they have for rent. Maybe there's a club you can join so you can ogle everyone's equipment and see what you like and don't like.

Beyond that, the requirements are:
1) Time
2) Money
3) Information

If you have arranged for several months free from other obligations, you're most of the way there.

Money: You'll need in the neighborhood of $3000-5000 for a normal hike. People quibble around the edges. A few do it cheaper. Some spend much more.

Information: Whiteblaze has a lot of the information you seek. Around the turn of the year, you can order the thru-hiker package from the ATC. The package has planning pages and factual information about mail drops and so on.

But I'll go back to my first point...experience backpacking is the single most helpful thing you can do.

Unclegorb
10-28-2008, 13:53
Hey, Hikergirl
My hiking partner and I have a SOBO planned for early July 2009, hope to see you out there!

Unclegorb
10-28-2008, 14:02
Oh, I also bought this book a few weeks ago and its really helpful in getting your food planning right (which to me is the hardest part to plan)...

The book is written by a woman who prepared mail drops and food for her husband and son who hiked the AT. It even has a daily schedule of everything they ate (Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner - Snacks) for every day they spent on the trail (very helpful). So, if you need a place to start...this book will help.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Food-Planner/dp/188938609X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225216555&sr=8-1

TJ aka Teej
10-28-2008, 16:27
But I'll go back to my first point...experience backpacking is the single most helpful thing you can do.

Outstanding advice, Marta. I'll add at-home practicing, practice everything from setting up and knocking down your tent to cooking to packing your pack to hiking in full gear around your neighborhood park - it's fun, too!

Penne
10-28-2008, 20:25
In addition to what has already been suggested for getting ready, read some trail journals. I read Marta's journal--find the link in her signature, and I read Tinkerbells--http://www.trailjournals.com/tmp/ who hiked in 2004, and now I'm reading Pounce's 2008 journal-- http://www.trailjournals.com/anahata/ She just made it to the halfway point the other day. I hope you find those interesting and helpful.