PDA

View Full Version : would you rather?

karoberts
10-27-2008, 11:35
If you were to start a six week section on June 18th, would you rather start in Damascus and head north, or start in Kent, Connecticut and head north?

Which would you rather and why?

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 11:41
Damascus and head north...it's going to be hot either place so you may as well stay at higher altitude and see preetier sights. Just my opinion.

geek

MOWGLI
10-27-2008, 11:59
I'd start at the MA/VT state line and head north.

emerald
10-27-2008, 17:23
I'd much rather spend that time period in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Start at the southern terminus of The Long Trail and hike to Katahdin or for something a bit different hike from Journey's End to Katahdin.

You'll experience higher elevations, cooler temperatures at more northerly latitudes, more variable scenery and more opportunities for swimming.

Your more southerly proposal would not appeal to me. Heat indices in excess of 100°F several days in a row are possible and finding sufficient drinking water in some areas could prove difficult. If you elect to pursue it, you will want to travel early and late in the day and rest in the shade when the sun is high in the sky.

rdsoxfan
10-27-2008, 17:40
I'm of the opinion of the guys above. Although I may be partial to VT, NH, ME because I've hiked a good portion of it in bits n' pieces. But Its definitely more scenic and the views are fabulous. Enjoy!

Rem Dawg

Pootz
10-27-2008, 18:12
My vote for Kent Connecticut. Or you could start further north and try for Kathdin. If you plan to thru hike or section the entire trail I would save Kathdin for the end.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2008, 18:15
If your choices are locked in literally to the 2 locales in your post, then start at Damascus. But if you can start in Williamstown/North Adams, then I agree with the posters above; hike from there to the Whites and beyond.

Of course they didn't mention bugs. You might experience the last vestiges of black flies; you'll most certainly see (and feel) mosquitos. Bring your tent.

Blissful
10-27-2008, 20:06
I would start in CT and head north. Too hot down south. Can get to 100 degrees in June in VA unless you like that kind of stuff. But be prepared for awful bugs in New England.

bigcranky
10-27-2008, 20:48
I've hiked Virginia in the summer. Hot. Buggy. Hot.

New England would be my choice.

RedneckRye
10-27-2008, 23:45
New England without a doubt.
Or for something completely different, head west to Kennedy Meadows and hike the Sierra Nevada and Northern California on the PCT.

Jim Adams
10-28-2008, 00:12
VT., N.H., Maine would definitely be better than your first 2 choices but RedneckRye has really hit a nice stretch there...the Sierras are incredible and actually much easier walking than New England.

geek

Homer&Marje
10-28-2008, 07:32
I would do Damascus North just because I have not done most of that section. Except for some of SNP

Hooch
10-28-2008, 07:54
Start at Damascus and go south, unless you've done that section already. Fewer yankees like that.:rolleyes::D

JAK
10-28-2008, 09:09
If I lived somewhere in between I would go South first, then go back home and go North.
Mostly because that would seem more Natural, and you would have two nice end goals.
Anadvantage is you could meet alot of nice thr-hikers along the way and figure out which groups you might want to join for the Northern section. I live in New Brunswick though, and I seem most inclined to someday start at Mt. Carleton and head south, then maybe some other year start back at Mt.Carleton and head the other way.

Maybe for now find a way to section hike from my front door to Mt.Carleton.

Wrangler88
10-28-2008, 19:04
Hey, I'm also doing about a six - seven week section starting at the end of June. I asked the same exact question about Kent going south and got the same answers. I'd rather hike in the heat than the snow but that's just because that's what I'm used to. But now my plans are to start in Harper's Ferry and head south into TN. If you end up starting in Damascus and heading north, I'll see you out there.

RichardD
10-28-2008, 20:02
I too am in the early stages of planning for six to seven weeks of hiking beginning early June. I have never hiked on the AT but family events make hiking in the East preferable this coming Summer.
I was considering starting in Damascus and heading North to Harpers Ferry.
The posts on this thread make me concerned that it might be too hot. Although I live in Texas and should be used to heat I find hiking in temperatures much over 85 degrees to be unpleasant.
(I hiked in Minnesota on the Superior Trail this last June and the temperatures were perfect, The JMT in July, again perfect temperatures).
Transport to and from the trail in Vermont and Maine is more of a challenge but certainly doable.
Questions: Is it likely that between early June and Mid July that I would encounter long periods of time with temperatures in the 90's when heading North from Damascus to Harpers Ferry?
Suggest start and end points further North where I could access the trail by public transportation. I am expecting to hike 500 miles or threabouts.
It is my intent to through hike the entire trail as soon as I retire which should be three or four years from now.

karoberts
10-28-2008, 23:25
Thanks for all the good advice. Just FYI, in summer 2008, I did a 5 week section from Harper's Ferry to Kent and it was SO MUCH FUN!

I am leaning towards starting in Damascus and heading north in mid-June (I don't mind heat so much). Will I see any thru-hikers that far south in June? I am a little worried about being lonely.