PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking & the AT

VaTechDC517
03-25-2004, 23:55
Although it's possible my opinions will change during my thru-hike, I currently plan on keeping any hitchhiking to an absolute minimum... Is it reasonably possible to do the entire trail without hitching OR using a bounce box? It seems to me that there are few (if any) places where one would have to hike more than 2.5 miles off the trail so long as they plan out their supply points and are willing to carry a max of 5-6 days of food in a very limited number of places. Any thoughts on this?

One thing I have not looked into is exactly what the elevation changes are between some of the in-town grocery supply points and the trailheads...

A-Train
03-26-2004, 01:55
It is very possible to do this if you are willing to put in the extra effort to walk. I can tell you that having to go an extra 2 or 3 miles at the end of a long day to get to town, in the rain, in the dark, is not what most people look forward to, however if you are dedicated more power to you.
You may have to pack food a good deal further than most folks, maybe 5-7 days at a time. This should be pretty easy to do from Virginia thru new england where most towns are very close to the AT, and you have many options as far as groceries, meals, markets in extreme close walking distance (usually under a mile). Your main concerns would be in the south and north, particularly in Maine. All the towns in Maine besides Caratunk are atleast 4 miles off the Trail, with Andover and Rangeley being about 9-10 each. It is possible to skip one of these, but certainly not both. Most folks generally like to keep resupply weight low thru this area because the terrain is the most challenging on the whole trail.

In Erwin you would have the opportunity to pick up a maildrop right ON the Trail at Uncle Johhnies Hostel without having to hitch. However 4 miles away is the best hostel on the entire AT, Miss Janets. This place IMO is a must see/must stay. Thats the only complication I see in your plan as it limits some great towns, hostels etc. Of course you could always try to pre-arrange a ride before hand. Its unclear wheher you are avoiding hitching rides from strangers or whether it is a purist/no car riding philosophy.

Good luck and have fun

Krewzer
03-26-2004, 02:21
I used a bounce box off and on, mainly when I found something good to eat and didn't think I'd be able to get on up the trail. It was more of an occasional convenience. I could have done without it, but it was handy.

As for rides, well I got a lot of rides without actually hitching. As a matter of fact, I don't think I stuck my thumb out more than two or three times on the entire hike, but had many rides into town. I think you'll find lots of rides offered to hikers just out of kindness....it's all about "trail magic", it happens.

Whether or not you can do your hike without hitching...well, I quess you can, but to me, it's part of the experience. Besides that, like A-Train is saying, there will be times when a couple more miles will be huge.

I caught one ride from a little old couple driving a very old nissan pickup truck with a four wheeler crammed in the bed up in Virginia. Yep, the only place to sit was on the 4 wheeler. It was the first 4 wheeler I've ever been on that did 60mph. It made for a great story and a nice memory. You know how that sort of tale goes and grows......long haired dirty stinky hiker/biker...5 day beard...bugs in the teeth...born to be wild...etc...etc....
(the more I tell it, the faster that 4 wheeler goes.)

Enjoy your hike....all of it,

Krewzer

Peaks
03-26-2004, 09:06
So, your goal is to do the trail without hitching. You need to study the ALDHA Companion or Wingfoot's Handbook and plan your resupply accordingly. For example, it will probably mean resupplying at Fontana with enough to carry you over to Standing Bear or Mountain Mamma's, and skipping Gatlinburg. But, there will be places where it's going to tough to avoid a hitch, especially in Maine. Most people resupply in Andover, Rangely, and/or Stratton. At these places, the trail crossing is several miles out of town. So, if you want to minimize hitching, then you need to carry enough out of Gorham to get you to Rangely, hitch into Rangely, and then carry enough out of Rangely to get you to Carratunk. How are you going to get through the Whites? You can carry enough out of Glencliff to get you over to Pinkham Notch, while many hitch into town from Franconia Notch or Crawford Notch. I suspect that you will want to hitch into town for resupply on occasion.

No bounce box? No problem, assuming that you have some mail drops. After all, why carry all the maps all the way.

max patch
03-26-2004, 09:45
The year I hiked I met a hiker who did not hitch or get into a car at any point in his thru. So yes, it can be done if that is what you want to do.

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2004, 10:26
It can be done, but it probably isn't a whole lotta fun: For example, in Maine:

*Andover is 8 miles from the Trail
*Rangeley is 9
*Stratton is 5

Most people hitch at some point, and it's not that tough. Folks that don't want to do it alone can plan ahead and get to trailheads with other hikers who need to go into town. Or, you could walk it.....

rickb
03-26-2004, 11:10
I wish I knew about Rangely and Andover.....

Gorham was a loooong way from Stratton. And Hanover was even farther from Gorham ;-).

Rick B

(Who sort of wishes he didn't take any hitches at all.)

Bankrobber
03-26-2004, 11:32
This is the kind of nonsense that comes out of someone from Virginia Tech. Just pushing that University of Virginia - Virginia Tech rivalry.

Rick, That is a ridiculously long time between resupplies. How many days did it take you? Last year, New Zealander made it from Andover to Monson with one food supply.

Your plan is possible, just plan accordingly to spend half a day walking into some towns. Resupply at Neels Gap, Rainbow Springs (if it is still in business), Fontana Dam, Standing Bear, Hot Springs, Walk the 4 miles into Erwin (I did), have a mail drop at Kincora, Damascus, mail drop at the hotel in Atkins, Pearisburg, Troutville (have an especially large mail drop here), Waynesboro, Front Royal, Harper's Ferry (mail drop), Duncannon, Port Clinton (mail drop), DWG, Vernon, Kent, One of those Northern Massachussetts towns, Manchester (long walk), Hanover, North Woodstock (another long walk), Gorham, Andover or Rangely (super long walk), Caratunk, Monson.

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2004, 12:41
Bankrobber:

Regarding your list:

*Fontana Dam is a really good place for a maildrop as the "market" is lousy
*A large maildrop (or any fooddrop) is not really necessary at Troutville; there's a 24-Hour Kroger superstore less than half a mile from the Trail
*It's easier to resupply in Linden than Front Royal

You're right---it is, I suppose, possible to walk to your re-supply points and avoid hitching altogether. But as has been previously stated, there are more than a few places where this is highly impractical.

rickb
03-26-2004, 13:19
"Rick, That is a ridiculously long time between re-supplies. How many days did it take you?"

You forget that south-bounders are a heartier breed. ;-)

Seriously, I hiked at a time when there was less information available as to all one's options. I had nothing more than the Data Book to go on. For the stretch between Stratton and Gorham, Andover was listed like this "Andover-B Hill Road, Andover ME PO 04216 (L, G 6m E)”. When you combine that lack of detail with the fact that like all SOBOs I started prepared to hike 10 days through the Wilderness (not that it takes that long), splitting up the 9 days it would take me to hike between Stratton and Gorham hardly seemed worth the bother.

Then I got into a groove doing around 10 days between POs. But I lied about making it all the way to Hanover after Gorham. As I just checked my book, I see that I did re-supply at Glencliff. But wallking farther between re-supply was far more common 20 years ago. It might not have been the “best” choice all the time, but hiking longer between re-supply was considered a viable one.

I am just thinking that if one is so inclined, its not so tough to skip re-supplies that common wisdom suggest that "you must take". At least from the physical end of things. Its not at all uncommon for a given hiker to carry 10 pounds more than another. And if tha extra 10 pounds is food (which unlike other gear weighs less every day), you could skip a whole bunch of hitches that might otherwise be considered impractical to walk. I hardly ever put in much more than a 15 mile day, and re-supplied almost exclusively at POs. But a willingness to carry 10 extra pounds meant I really cut down on hitches—I had just one between Springer and Damascus and could have avoided even that one with out any trouble.

An extra 10 Pounds (hear and there, not even everywhere) would really cut down on one’s need to hitch. Of course, every pound matters, and everything is a trade off. And the "10 Pounds" is an arbitrary number, anyway. Fact is, a willingness to carry even a couple extra days food would go a long way to helping cut down on long road walks. Using grocery stores and getting creative, still more.

That said, I think the toughest thing in bypassing places where others re-supply would be the social part. Not only would you be out of whack with your peers, I think it would be hard not to feel as if you were missing out on something. It easy for me to wax poetic about skipping places, but the truth is hikers hunger for their oasis. I know I did.

Still, for me there were no social considerations. As such, I kind of wish I hadn’;t bought into other’s concepts about the “right way” to hike the AT. It might have taken me an extra 2 or 3 days not to have hitched, big deal.

Of course, I understand how hitching adds wonderful dimensions to most people’s hikes. For me, it just saved a few hours here and there.

Rick B

Bear Magnet
03-26-2004, 13:29
Hi VATech-

I'm not sure if you want to avoid hitching because you want to avoid riding in cars during your hike or if you are concerned about safety when hitching.

If the former, then I defer to the other posters who have listed some of the options you have to avoid hitching.

If the latter, I would say that I think you do not need to be so concerned. Sure, there is an element of risk in hitchhiking, but not more so than walking 2200 miles. I only had one really shady hitch last year.

Safety concerns are a bit greater if you are a woman, but you also get rides faster. If you are walking with others you can arrange to hitch into town together.

I see you are in DC. I live in Rosslyn. If you have any questions, give me a call at 703-243-0267.

Bear Magnet
(Jonathan Amato)

rickb
03-26-2004, 13:57
Regarding Safety,

I know at least one long distance hike was killed by a car while walking along a busy highway, and of none hurt while hitching on thier hikes. Bear Magnet speaks the truth, I think.

Rick B
(Who, in the interest of full disclosure, has been know to hitch out of down-town Bogota, Colombia at 3AM to save $2 bucks, and so is probably not the best judge of safety on these matters)

Bankrobber
03-26-2004, 14:26
In regards to Jack's corrections, I totally agree. Go with the maildrop in Fontana, there is nothing at the store. When I suggested a large maildrop in Troutsville/Daleville, it could just as well be had at the grocery store. I was suggesting that if you want to make it from Troutsville to Waynesboro w/o hitching, bring a lot of food. Buena Vista is far off the trail, and I think Glasgow is as well.
Check out Baltimore Jack's resupply recommendations in the "Articles" section. It is an excellent plan.

max patch
03-26-2004, 14:37
The year I hiked several hikers and one dog were ejected from the bed of the pickup truck they were riding in. Miraculously, a couple bumps and bruises was the extent of the injuries. No hiking time was lost.

Smooth03
03-27-2004, 10:12
I loved hitching!!!!!!!!!!

Where else will I meet a West Virginian asking me for pot to take me in to town?
Where else will I have to buy underage kids beer to get in to town?
Where else will I get taken the wrong way down an interstate for 15 miles?
Where else will I get taken directly to Dunkin Donuts and share a few with my hitch?
Where else can you ride 70 MPH in the back of a pick up truck on a curvy Virginia highway?

I really loved the aspect of hithhiking. I never felt scared and rarely had to wait long for a hitch. I understand your hesitancy to hitch if it is a safety issue, but you'll quickly find it is quite safe. If it is a philosophical issue then I wish you the best of luck.
Smooth

Peaks
03-27-2004, 19:04
Let's say you want to do minimal hitching.

To start with, you need to get to Springer somehow. So, assume that you catch a ride with Josh and Leigh Saint, or take a taxi from Gainesville.

Assuming that you bypass Hiawassi and towns like that, no need to ride until you get to Fontana. At Fontana, it's easy to call for the shuttle to take you to the village. If you carry enough out of Fontana, you can skip Gatlinburg, and resupply at Mountain Mama's on the north side of GSMNP.

You walk right down Main Street in Hot Springs, so no need for a ride there. In Erwin, you might ride for resupply or to Miss Janet's. Next, Kincora and Laurel Forks Campground are within easy walking distance of the trail.

Damascus, the trail goes down Main Street, so no need for a ride here. If you mail drop to the Village Motel in Atkins, you can avoid a car ride here.

In Pearisburg, the church hostel is on the other side of town, so if you stay there, you will probably appreciate a ride. Or, stay at a motel closer to the trail in you want to stay in town.

At Troutville/Daleville, get enough supplies to carry you over to Waynesboro, and skip resupply at Bland.

In Wayesboro, you can call a list of volunteers who will shuttle you from Rockfish Gap into town.

North of Shenandoah National Park, do a mail drop in Linden rather than going into Front Royal.

At Harper's Ferry, either do a mail drop or resupply at the 7-11 and skip going into Charles Town.

The store in Duncannon is within easy walking distance of the AT, so no need for a ride here.

Most people do a mail drop at Port Clinton.

At the Delaware Water Gap, if you do a mail drop then you can avoid a car ride to the grocery store. However, a ride to the laundrymat might be nice.

Resupply in Unionville NY and skip Vernon NJ

A mail drop at Bear Mountain will save you a road walk or hitch into Fort Montgomery for resupply.

Kent is within walking distance, as is Salisbury

If you resupply at one of the grocery stores on Route 2, you can skip a hitch into Williamstown.

Almost everyone hitches into Manchester Center for resupply. Hard to avoid.

The trail goes down Main Street in Hanover, so no need for a ride here.

At Glencliff, get a large mail drop to carry you over to Pinkham Notch, and avoid a hitch to resupply in North Woodstock, or Crawford Notch.

At Gorham, if you follow the AT to US Route 2, you will want to hitch into town. However, if you blue blaze down the Carter Moriah trail from Mt. Moriah, and then take the Mahoosic Trail out, you can avoid a car ride.

In Gorham, you need to carry enough out of town to get you over to Rangely if you want to avoid a hitch into Andover. And in Rangely, you need to get enough to carry you over to Carratunk if you want to avoid a hitch into Stratton.

Monson is within walking distance. The AT used to go into town anyway.

Most people hitch out of Baxter State Park.

I'm sure there are plenty of variations. Just figure out what you want to do.

weary
03-27-2004, 19:46
[QUOTE=VaTechDC517]Although it's possible my opinions will change during my thru-hike, I currently plan on keeping any hitchhiking to an absolute minimum... Is it reasonably possible to do the entire trail without hitching OR using a bounce box? QUOTE]

I hadn't hitched a ride in 40 years when I started the trail in Georgia in 1993. But it quickly became routine. I used all the old tricks. Always choose a spot where the driver can see you and size you up from a distance. And make sure you stand at a place that gives the driver an easy place to pull off the road. Intersections are great. Drivers are more apt to stop if they are forced to go slow anyway.

If a group of hikers gathered in one place -- I would move a few hundred yards down the road. Many drivers won't have room for more than one or two. A group gets them thinking about picking someone up. A lone hiker or two hikers down the road gives the driver a chance to act on their good impulses.

And manys the time I hung back when an attractive female was hitching, only to appear at the last moment asking if they have "room for one more."

Tricks often weren't needed. Just walking down the road with a pack, frequently produces offers of rides, especially in the south and in Maine. I had my worst success in New York, New Jersey and northern PA. Elsewhere cars would routinely stop.

But to answer your question, hitching -- or at least car transportation -- is really only necessary in Maine, where towns often are miles from the trail. But there is also stiff competition among hostels in Maine. Reach a road after 4 p.m. and you are very apt to find a hostel owner waiting to solicit your business.

After awhile I came to think that hitching was really doing drivers a favor. I figured I gave people a chance to live vicariously a part of my hike. Almost everyone had questions. I'm not a very gregarious person, but I always tried to keep those who picked me up entertained so the next time they saw a hiker they would look forward to stopping.

I tend to think trail magic is being over done these days, but I'll always welcome a ride to town after a long day of hiking.

Oh. You also asked about bounce boxes. I had never heard of them when I started, but I quickly found a bounce box very handy. I had never heard the term. I figured for while that I had invented a new technique. No, they aren't necessary, but a bounce box is a great way to minimize expensive town time and to minimize weight.

Weary

Brushy Sage
03-28-2004, 21:14
Before I started out, I dreaded the idea of hitching. Once getting a few positive responses and interesting rides, though, it became part of the adventure. A Cherokee Indian man took me into Franklin -- said his mother was born near the foot of Standing Indian Mountain. I rode from Davenport Gap down to Mountain Momma's in the back of a pickup, sitting on a huge ceramic dog; the driver told me I couldn't hurt it, and didn't -- not a smooth ride, but fun. Going into Bland, VA, an older couple picked me up and marveled that an old codger like me was out there hiking, and they took me to the front door of a motel.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2004, 09:59
Peaks' advice, as usual, is excellent.

One comment: Many hikers coming thru Hot Springs are reporting that they had a GREAT time at Standing Bear Farm, just past the Smokies.

This year's hikers may prefer to go here instead of Mountain Momma's: Standing Bear is closer to the Trail, much nicer, and much friendlier. They also have sufficient resupply to get you from there to Hot Springs and town shuttles may be available as well.

I first visited Standing Bear by accident last year and am very glad I did: Curtis and Maria are terrific people and this is a unique and special place.

VaTechDC517
04-02-2004, 21:54
Tying up loose ends has been taking up a lot of my time, but I have been reading these posts all of which have been excellent. BTW...I'm not against hitching for safety reasons...I just don't want to have to rely on it every time I need to re-supply. Below are my plans [to date] for re-supply points and PO Box stops (mileage's based on the data book). The number in the center is the approx. mileage between supply points. I know that North Clarendon, VT is not recommended, but I'm thinking of giving it a shot anyways...I'll always have plenty of time to change my mind before I get there, right. As best I can tell, the only "un-walkable" point is Rangeley. Also, I'll be trying Standing Bear Farm instead of Mountain Mommas per Jack's suggestion.

All of these posts were extremely helpful...especially Peaks. Thanks!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=523 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="56%" height=16>
Springer Mt.

</TD><TD width="5%" height=16>

</TD><TD width="11%" height=16>

</TD><TD width="28%" height=16>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="56%" height=16>
Neels Gap / Walasi-Yi

On AT

Wallace Gap / Rainbow Springs

W 1

Fontana Dam

PO Box

W 2

Waterville School Rd / Standing Bear Farm

W 0.2

Hot Springs

On AT

Erwin / Miss Janets

W 2.3

Dennis Cove Road / Kincora Hostel

E 0.5

Damascus

PO Box

On AT

Atkins

On AT

Pearisburg, US 460

PO Box

Sidetrip/Resupply (VT)

Troutville

W 0.8

Waynesboro

On AT

(numerous on-trail re-supply points)

On AT

Linden, VA 55

PO Box

Sidetrip/Resupply (DC)

Harpers Ferry

On AT

Gardners, PA (possible re-supply)

E 0.2

Boiling Springs, PA (possible re-supply)

W 0.1

Duncannon, PA

W 0.6

Port Clinton, PA

PO Box

Branchville, NJ, Culvers Gap, US 206

On AT

Bear Mountain, NY

PO Box

On AT

Kent, CT

E 0.8

Salisbury, CT (possible re-supply)

W 0.8

Dalton, MA, MA 8, MA 9 (possible re-supply)

W 0.3

Williamstown, Rt 2

W 0.5

North Clarendon, VT, VT 103

W 1

Hanover, NH, Dartmouth College

On AT

Glencliff, NH, NH 25

E 0.5

Mt. Washington

PO Box

Gorham, NH, US 2

E 1

Rangeley

W 9

Caratunk

E 0.1

Monson

E 2

Abol Bridge

E 1

Katahdin

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

VaTechDC517
04-02-2004, 21:59
The 133 miles between Troutville & Waynesboro is probably unreasonable? Maybe a stop @ Jennings Creek (1.6 M E) or Montebello (2.2 M W)?

Peaks
04-10-2004, 20:23
Just a few suggestions.

I'd suggest adding Manchester Center VT. Easy hitch in and out. Worth it. And skip North Clarendon.

Rethink the White Mountains. Generally Mt. Washington is not used because of limited storage space and Cog is not reliable. Better call first and check. Most people either go into North Woodstock or to the private campground in Crawford Notch. Also, AMC Pinkham Notch (on the AT) will hold mail drops.

Anything over 100 miles is too far for me between resupply. Suggest rethinking those sections.

VaTechDC517
04-12-2004, 00:44
Thanks for pointing out the possible problem with the P.O. @ Mt. Washington...